Advice re electricity useage

Options
I really think we are paying far too much electricity.
Just had an email saying they are putting my bill up to £78 a month to cover our usage.
There's only 2 of us in a small 1 bedroom flat!

From the 2nd to the 3rd of March we used 71units

Surely this isn't right?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 March 2017 at 12:59PM
    Options
    @lola87
    If you are all electric then possibly.
    There are loads of threads here about what causes high usage and how to tackle the question of is it correct.

Start with these threads and ask yourself the same questions
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5612614
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5612626

You need to consider if you are on the right tariff too as that will affect how much you pay but not how much you use.

Consider that in 2 days of winter you used 36 KwH of fuel per day, I used that just for my gas heating (but that is cheaper per KwH) but it was needed to be warm.
    Please work through the threads and write down all the relevant data, like tariff, cost per KwH, standing charge, E7/E10/single rate tariff, were the readings in the bill estimates or actual?

The DD may have been increased in part to recover any debt from being set too low to match your actual usage and in part to cover future use.
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Assume this flat is all electric, in which case the Heating & Hot Water are the major users of power.

Are you on an ECO7 meter that gives lower cost power overnight, if so check that the hot water tank is on the overnight setting and the anytime boost switch is OFF.

If you don't have an ECO7 meter, experiment with the hot water tank switch to see how long it takes to provide enough hot water for your daily needs, then either fit a timer switch or switch it on/off for just that amount of time
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How much per kilowatt are you paying?
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you use a tumble drier? I think this is what bumps up the cost of elec in my one bedroom flat.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Assuming you are all electric - remember this is still winter and your consumption will be less in the summer.

When did you move in? Are your readings estimated or actual?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    are you on the cheapest tariff? Are you giving readings or are they estimated bills?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport