Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tootiemac
    • By tootiemac 13th Mar 17, 10:39 AM
    • 158Posts
    • 42Thanks
    tootiemac
    How many Viewers?
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:39 AM
    How many Viewers? 13th Mar 17 at 10:39 AM
    Hi All,

I've posted on here before about my flat and the situation we find ourselves in.

Anyway can people please share with me what they expected in terms of viewers when they list their house for sale?

We listed our house just a little under a week ago bu have had 0 nibbles at all.

As a buyer I look daily at the newly listed houses and if I like one i request a viewing, is this how others work?

i would have hoped for a viewer or 2 in the first week but we've had nothing.

i worry that its our pictures that have done it but it could just be the area.

thanks!
Page 1
    • jonmoneybags
    • By jonmoneybags 13th Mar 17, 11:07 AM
    • 291 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    jonmoneybags
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:07 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 11:07 AM
    at least 100 in the first week, should be like Piccadilly circus the first few days.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 13th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 4,839 Posts
    • 2,106 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    Price is always the issue, especially in a stalling market with all the uncertainty surrounding Brexit/EZ elections etc.
    • neilio
    • By neilio 13th Mar 17, 12:33 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    neilio
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:33 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:33 PM
    Could be any number of reasons. Asking price, levels of demand in your area, how well or badly the estate agent is marketing the property (including photos), type of property, leasehold versus freehold, general economic outlook.

Try not to pay too much attention when anyone refers to what the best or worst time of year is.
    • always_sunny
    • By always_sunny 13th Mar 17, 12:43 PM
    • 3,453 Posts
    • 3,679 Thanks
    always_sunny
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:43 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:43 PM
    Funny enough, properties use similar principles... if you get nil interest, one of these could be a problem!
    Expat with an EU passport
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 13th Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    • 2,008 Posts
    • 2,923 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    Depends on what you mean by "listed" when you say

We listed our house just a little under a week ago
    Originally posted by tootiemac
    but I don't think Rightmove et al necessarily update their ads in real time. So 'a little under a week' might only be 2 or 3 days that the ad's been live. Furthermore, not everyone signs up for daily property alerts, so might not even have heard about it. Finally, the type of property it is will determine the type of buyer. FTBs (for example) will probably have work to go to, so maybe won't be able to view during office hours in the week, whereas a bungalo that's suitable for retired people may get more daytime mid-week viewers.

Ultimtately, if you're worried you're not getting enough nibbles, drop the price to £1. Someone will bite your arm off to buy it for that. Make of that advice what you will....
    • tootiemac
    • By tootiemac 13th Mar 17, 1:23 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    tootiemac
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:23 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:23 PM
    Thanks All!

Its a 3 bed ground floor flat.
    We've listed at the lowest we could, we're in Scotland so property prices are lower than down south.
    Our home report valued it at £70K (because the wee old women next door sold hers for that) and that's what we had wanted to get so we listed at £66K offers over.
    It showed up on right move and zoopla that day i was checking.
    we can only do viewing on evening/weekends but we've paid for the agent to do day times if necessary.
    I honestly think it might be the pictures, this is our property.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47198679.html
    Any advice welcome!
    p.s. i cannot make the 2nd room into a bedroom because I work from there.
    • Helen2k8
    • By Helen2k8 13th Mar 17, 1:28 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 1,946 Thanks
    Helen2k8
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:28 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:28 PM
    That first picture is an awful lot of grey. Any chance you could swap it with one of the brighter / prettier ones? Still have all the pictures there, just in a slightly different order?
    • tootiemac
    • By tootiemac 13th Mar 17, 1:37 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    tootiemac
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:37 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 1:37 PM
    I thought that but the agent said outside was always the starting point.
    I'm going to push for that now!
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 13th Mar 17, 1:50 PM
    • 2,008 Posts
    • 2,923 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    I thought that but the agent said outside was always the starting point.
    I'm going to push for that now!
    Please don't do that - I always feel that listings which don't show the exterior of the property are trying to hide something, and if that exterior shot came up later in the gallery, I'd agree. Instead, see if they can get a better angle/more cropped view, perhaps not featuring that archway to the parking lot...

It's also listed as a 3 bedroom flat, but I can only see 2 rooms which are/could be bedrooms, so a floor plan would be helpful.

Finally, and being really picky, make the bed in the bedroom properly, declutter the bathroom, get the lighting right in the 2nd lounge shot, and seriously consider the wisdom of that dining room photo...
    • rentmekid
    • By rentmekid 13th Mar 17, 1:59 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    rentmekid
    Did you estate agent take the pictures using an iphone?

The photographs should be crystal clear, not of this poor quality.
    • tootiemac
    • By tootiemac 13th Mar 17, 2:06 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    tootiemac
    Please don't do that - I always feel that listings which don't show the exterior of the property are trying to hide something, and if that exterior shot came up later in the gallery, I'd agree. Instead, see if they can get a better angle/more cropped view, perhaps not featuring that archway to the parking lot... the other shot she took was horrible and made it look really dirty grey.

It's also listed as a 3 bedroom flat, but I can only see 2 rooms which are/could be bedrooms, so a floor plan would be helpful.i think its the angle she uses because the dinning room is more than big enough to be a bedroom we just dont have the need for 3 bedroom as bedrooms

Finally, and being really picky, make the bed in the bedroom properlyi was annoyed at this becuase i was following her round trying to "fix" bits before she took the pics but i called the puppy off the bed and as i went to fix the cover she snapped the photo and moved on, declutter the bathroomi again had an idea for what needed to come out but she snapped and ran, get the lighting right in the 2nd lounge shot, and seriously consider the wisdom of that dining room photo...what dont you like about it? i dislike the angle.
    Originally posted by ReadingTim
    Worse she had a DSLR camera and this is the best she could pull out for us.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    • 9,648 Posts
    • 7,635 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    You actually only need one viewing, that of the person who will be the new owner.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 13th Mar 17, 3:02 PM
    • 5,799 Posts
    • 5,548 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Really depends on the local market - you're selling an ex-cooncil flat in Johnstone, I wouldn't expect queues out the door. How long did the neighbour take to sell?

The photos are a bit crappy but I've seen worse.

The "brochure" appears to be just a window card rather than a full schedule, and why no floorplan? Everyone else does one.
    • *~Zephyr~*
    • By *~Zephyr~* 13th Mar 17, 3:08 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    *~Zephyr~*
    It looks like a great flat. The bedrooms are considerably larger than most and that kitchen is HUGE for a flat.

I agree with the comments on the dining room - get the table out and stick a bed in there. If you're going to advertise it as 3 bed, you need to show that the bedrooms do actually work as a bedroom (i.e. you can fit a bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers in and can still swing a cat).

I don't think the outside photo is a problem. It is what it is, and if people are familiar with the area, they will know what it looks like.

Yes, the lighting in the second lounge photo is dire, as is the lighting in the bathroom. And the angles on all of them are awful.

I would give it another week and if you've still not had any interest, then insist that they re-do the photos.

Also, definitely get the floorplan added. Even if it costs a bit extra. I have dismissed properties without viewing before because the layout isn't clear from the photos and there wasn't a floorplan.
    • KateySW
    • By KateySW 13th Mar 17, 3:13 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    KateySW
    A missing floorplan might be an issue to some people. I've been looking to buy with my partner this year and he will always want to see a floorplan before he books in a viewing. It's a real deal breaker because he wants to know exactly what kind of space we'd be looking at. Is your agent going to upload one of them soon?

IMO I'd ask them to consider doing the photos again if you don't have any luck soon, they aren't the best (especially considering they were taken on a DSLR :O ) but as someone above said, I have seen a lot worse!
    • strawberries1
    • By strawberries1 13th Mar 17, 3:26 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    strawberries1
    Wow! Couldn't get a garage for that price!
    Good luck Op! Your buyer will knock soon.
    Last edited by strawberries1; 16-03-2017 at 3:21 PM.
    • tootiemac
    • By tootiemac 13th Mar 17, 3:42 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    tootiemac
    Really depends on the local market - you're selling an ex-cooncil flat in Johnstone, I wouldn't expect queues out the door. How long did the neighbour take to sell?They took 3 weeks to sell

The photos are a bit crappy but I've seen worse.i really hated some of them but these were the best she had. i might get them redone by a photographer friend

The "brochure" appears to be just a window card rather than a full scheduleit comes out in A3 and is double sided but not my favourite, and why no floorplan? Everyone else does one.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    No idea why no floor plan but i'm awa to ask that right now.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Mar 17, 3:42 PM
    • 59,969 Posts
    • 350,557 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    p.s. i cannot make the 2nd room into a bedroom because I work from there.
    You can, with a bit of planning. One day when you're not working, drag everything into the hallway - borrow 1-2 side tables/whatnot from other bedrooms - get four identically sized empty boxes from a supermarket, a blow up double mattress and "make" a fake bed ... just for the photos. Snap away .... and then undo it all and put it back how you like it.

1 hour tops.
    • tootiemac
    • By tootiemac 13th Mar 17, 3:52 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    tootiemac
    You can, with a bit of planning. One day when you're not working, drag everything into the hallway - borrow 1-2 side tables/whatnot from other bedrooms - get four identically sized empty boxes from a supermarket, a blow up double mattress and "make" a fake bed ... just for the photos. Snap away .... and then undo it all and put it back how you like it.

1 hour tops.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    That might work! will work to gather the stuff and maybe get it done this weekend. God help my husband moving all he furniture it all weighs an absolute ton.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,766Posts Today

9,021Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Interesting well argued take on the Uber situation from a black cab driver... https://t.co/c1I5ta0jde

• Follow Martin