Mis-sold / overpaid Carphone Warehouse Insurance

Options
I took out mobile phone insurance with CPW in for a contract in 2004- 2006 as I'd recently lost a phone. When I changed phones in 2006 I didn't knowingly renew the insurance but it was continued to be taken / paid. This insurance payment continued after I had cancelled all phone contracts with CPW until I noticed it in 2012, contacted them and stopped the DD myself. They appear happy to refund me when I contacted them but I wondered if I should request any interest on my payments too? I don't want to upset their 'goodwill'.

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's your fault that you continued to pay, not theirs, it was your responsibility to stop the payments or cancel the insurance.

You won't get interest on top.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • rasmorris
    Options
    Thank you. I appreciate your response. That's why I posed the question. I'm not trying to get a big cash 'win'. However, I'm not sure I agree 100% with it being my fault. I feel I was at best ill informed if not misled by the company. I think it reasonable that I took the the two (mobile and insurance) to be connected, I was not informed otherwise, nor reminded or asked if i wanted it to continue at the end of that contract. The frequency of the payments were altered so this has the characteristics of a 'new' insurance contract. My fault that I didn't notice it. sooner: Yes 100%.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    rasmorris wrote: »
    However, I'm not sure I agree 100% with it being my fault.
    Responsibility for checking your bank statements is yours alone. So I'm afraid it is your fault.

As the company are under no obligation to refund you anything at all, a demand for interest is out-of-the-question.
  • rasmorris
    Options
    As you can imagine this isn't good to hear. On further investigation it seems I'm by no means alone in being caught out with this characteristic of DD's. Could / should this be made clearer? Regardless, I can now tone my email appropriately and hopefully recover lost funds. Many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure