Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rasmorris
    • By rasmorris 13th Mar 17, 10:03 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    rasmorris
    Mis-sold / overpaid Carphone Warehouse Insurance
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:03 AM
    Mis-sold / overpaid Carphone Warehouse Insurance 13th Mar 17 at 10:03 AM
    I took out mobile phone insurance with CPW in for a contract in 2004- 2006 as I'd recently lost a phone. When I changed phones in 2006 I didn't knowingly renew the insurance but it was continued to be taken / paid. This insurance payment continued after I had cancelled all phone contracts with CPW until I noticed it in 2012, contacted them and stopped the DD myself. They appear happy to refund me when I contacted them but I wondered if I should request any interest on my payments too? I don't want to upset their 'goodwill'.
Page 1
    • -taff
    • By -taff 13th Mar 17, 10:44 AM
    • 7,172 Posts
    • 5,162 Thanks
    -taff
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:44 AM
    • 13th Mar 17, 10:44 AM
    It's your fault that you continued to pay, not theirs, it was your responsibility to stop the payments or cancel the insurance.

You won't get interest on top.
    • rasmorris
    • By rasmorris 13th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rasmorris
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:04 PM
    Thank you. I appreciate your response. That's why I posed the question. I'm not trying to get a big cash 'win'. However, I'm not sure I agree 100% with it being my fault. I feel I was at best ill informed if not misled by the company. I think it reasonable that I took the the two (mobile and insurance) to be connected, I was not informed otherwise, nor reminded or asked if i wanted it to continue at the end of that contract. The frequency of the payments were altered so this has the characteristics of a 'new' insurance contract. My fault that I didn't notice it. sooner: Yes 100%.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Mar 17, 12:16 PM
    • 18,905 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:16 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 12:16 PM
    However, I'm not sure I agree 100% with it being my fault.
    Originally posted by rasmorris
    Responsibility for checking your bank statements is yours alone. So I'm afraid it is your fault.

As the company are under no obligation to refund you anything at all, a demand for interest is out-of-the-question.
    • rasmorris
    • By rasmorris 13th Mar 17, 8:06 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rasmorris
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:06 PM
    • 13th Mar 17, 8:06 PM
    As you can imagine this isn't good to hear. On further investigation it seems I'm by no means alone in being caught out with this characteristic of DD's. Could / should this be made clearer? Regardless, I can now tone my email appropriately and hopefully recover lost funds. Many thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,166Posts Today

6,421Users online

Martin's Twitter