Royal Mail Compensation Question

If I sent something I sold for £20.99 by Royal Mail International Standard would I be able to claim the £20 limit compensation if it got lost? Or would they, as I expect, say that it was sent by the wrong postage method so they won't pay out?

A buyer is complaining (after hitting BIN!) that the postage (clearly shown) is too high compared to something else they've just bought from UK. I quoted Int tracked & signed as originally I listed it at higher price so it definitely would have needed the extra cover but now i've reduced it I may be willing to send it standard if I would get the £20 paid out if it got lost. Why they bought it if they weren't happy with the price I don't know!

Comments

• If I sent something I sold for £20.99 by Royal Mail International Standard would I be able to claim the £20 limit compensation if it got lost? Or would they, as I expect, say that it was sent by the wrong postage method so they won't pay out?

You would, provided you could prove the value you paid, not necessarily the price paid to you on eBay. i.e. which ever is lower - they want a copy of the invoice or receipt paid by you.

Incidentally, I don't think the conversation you are having always goes well, you send tracked for your benefit, not for the buyer, so you are basically entering a situation where you're saying, I'll take the risk and charge you less money, and it doesn't fall well on ears in countries where tracked postage is cheap and standard.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • purple321
    purple321 Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I haven't offered to send it cheaper yet, so far I just replied that because of the value it needs to be sent tracked and told them what the actual cost to me will be to send it. No I don't see it going well whatever happens now i'm just annoyed that it was shown what the P&P was and they bought it anyway.
  • Nesty
    Nesty Posts: 492 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If someone is querying the postage, especially if they abroad & they want standard forget it. They want the ball in their court. Send it standard and they will be hitting you for 'where is my item case' & thank you a free item.

The previous poster spot on. It's for YOUR benefit not their's!

If you send anything standard RM & it's lost. RM tend not to want to know. It's very difficult to prove to RM was it lost!

If you send it recorded & it not delivered. Providing you upload all the info they require they always pay out. OK it takes about 2 months, but they do pay out!
  • BIN means Buy It Now, not negotiate the price afterwards.
    As above send by the postage method you have quoted for in the auction.
  • Nesty
    Nesty Posts: 492 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not being funny, but I find people abroad have a different way of doing things in trying to get a deal.
    This is why I do GSP on EBAY. It knocks all this bartering afterwards.
    I've had this as well someone abroad buy it now. Then they trying to negotiate the price down further as if you are still interested in their custom.

Least EBAY got some rules from a distance. Try selling anything on Gumtree, London now!
  • goodfella66
    goodfella66 Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Stick to your guns and don't let the buyer dictate the terms. It only ends in tears otherwise.
  • November2
    November2 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It is possible either they are trying to get you to send standard, with the plan to open a not received case, or they are after a part refund of the price paid, so are basically trying it on. Have you checked their feedback comments? It's a very tricky situation as if you stick to your guns there is always the possibility they might damage the item, or pretend to, to get the refund that way. Personally I would check courier prices to send this item, that way you might be able refund your buyer a 'little' to satisfy their 'yes, I've got a discount' and get tracked coverage, couriers are easier to deal with than RM too as they usually just take the Ebay payment details as the proof of item compensation cost.
    I always thought the RM terms 'we pay up to £20', just meant regardless of actual value you will only receive £20 compensation, ie you can send a £100 item but you will only receive £20 if it goes missing. I'm sure that's the meaning. Isn't it just certain items, like jewellery, money, etc, that have to be sent by a specific postal service otherwise the compensation is nullified?
  • john2054
    john2054 Posts: 202 Forumite
    no you wouldn't. stick to your guns, and charge the full postage. If they want the item enough, they will pay for it, And it should also mean that you are insured, which a minimum postage, just won't cut!
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    john2054 wrote: »
    no you wouldn't. stick to your guns, and charge the full postage. If they want the item enough, they will pay for it, And it should also mean that you are insured, which a minimum postage, just won't cut!

Postage should be clearly built into the listing. You seem to be posting on lots of threads at random (will incorrect advice) if you have an issue you may want to post it yourself rather than odd posts on other threads.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure