Professional repairs to moth damaged rug

Options
littlerock
littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
When we moved into our house around 25 years ago, we had a good quality woollen carpet fitted in our sitting room. It was scotch guarded and I have kept it clean and hoovered it regularly but while we on holiday last autumn it succumbed to a local plague of wool eating carpet months which have proved impossible to eradicate, so it has come to the end of its useful life and has to go. We are going to replace it with floor boards, put a large rug on top.

On top of our fitted carpet until recently was a vintage woollen Turkish rug, a large one, which we bought on holiday around 25 years ago in the middle of nowhere in central Turkey. It is a Turkman Bokhara rug, hand knotted and hand dyed. This is not fitted and I have kept the moths at bay by having it out in the open where we walk on it and hoovering and spraying it regularly.

However while we were away in the autumn, it seems like some of the moths got in around the edges of the carpet where it was under the sofa. :(

Also I have a small Afghan rug, bought around 40 years ago, from my local department store when it was one of the first "war rugs" to come into the UK and very good quality, very subtle images, nothing like the recent cheap copies from Pakistan. It looked OK until I pulled it out from under the corner of a book case and saw the moths had started on that too.

Anyway I am attached to both for sentimental reasons to both rugs and decided to get professional estimates to clean them and moth proof them and at the same time asked about repair options. I was shocked at the costs of repair and in particular the costs to repair the small Afghan rug, which were nearly double that of the large Bokhara.

I said that I could replace them for less as there is not much interest in oriental carpets these days. The carpet repairs firm (apparently also used by the National Trust) assured me I could not. They said the Bokhara was a genuine vintage carpet of very high quality, finding them of such quality hand knotted and dyed was increasingly rare and the prices were rising. But it was the Afghan war rug which was the surprise.

The carpet firm said this was an absolutely outstanding rug of the highest quality not to be compared with recent cheap copies from Pakistan and should definitely be repaired. They said they had matched the colours and wool and silk used and were keen to do it because it was such an outstanding rug it should be conserved.

They quoted a resale value of 3x the cost of the repairs as it has so many knots to the inch and is so well made and is a really skilled job. They said it would easily fetch this estimate, if sold, probably more. They had been excited to see it. They have offered to give me professional valuations of this amount for my insurance.

I am struggling to understand why it is worth repairing an old moth eaten rug and not just buying a replacement as there are plenty of antique rugs about. What do you think? Does anyone out there know about oriental carpets?

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As they are so valuable, sell them to these people & buy new cheaper ones with the proceeds.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    sell the Afghan and use the money to repair the Turkish!
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One word "Quality"...people are happy to pay a lot of money for genuine quality items and as we all know these days it is a throw away world. As soon as the next "must have/new version enters the market what some people have is {in one way or another} scrapped just so they can say "Look at me, I have the latest/newest xyz".
    Manufactures know this so things are not made to a standard that it was years back and when someone sees and understands what they are looking at they know the worth of the item.
    As stated if it does not mean that much to you or you do not know anyone who would enjoy it after you have gone just offer to sell it to the company and get the other one sorted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure