Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pampam
    • By pampam 11th Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    • 394Posts
    • 67Thanks
    pampam
    Question re PIP atos assessment
    • 11th Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    Question re PIP atos assessment 11th Mar 17 at 12:56 PM
    Yesterday I accompanied my friend to his PIP assessment.
    As the assessment was taking place it became obvious that the assessor just wanted Yes or No answers to her questions.

About 5 minutes into the so called assessment I asked her if she had actually read the PIP form that my friend had completed and also if she had seen the medical evidence provided by GP & Consultants. She said the she didn't have access to that information and that her job was to ask the questions and fill in the answers that my friend gave her??

I said that I found this to be absolutely ridiculous and asked how on earth someones medical conditions could be assessed in this manner. Her answer to this was a shrug of the shoulders.

The whole assessment took less than 30 minutes. She "examined" my friends arm movements and shoulders without even asking him to remove his coat!

Is this a normal state of affairs at an Atos assessment?

I am 99.9% certain that my friend will now lose his PIP allowance that he was previously awarded in 2015 even though his condition has worsened since the initial reward.
Page 2
    • pampam
    • By pampam 13th Mar 17, 7:56 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    pampam
    Quick update
    I phoned DWP this morning and requested a copy of the PA4.
    I am still unsure about sending in a letter to the decision makers explaining what happened at the assessment.
    I don't know if this will help or if it will just annoy the decision maker.
    Any views on this would be very much appreciated.
    I would also like to thank everyone for their support. It means a lot.x
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 13th Mar 17, 8:01 PM
    • 10,329 Posts
    • 19,135 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    Quick update
    I phoned DWP this morning and requested a copy of the PA4.
    I am still unsure about sending in a letter to the decision makers explaining what happened at the assessment.
    I don't know if this will help or if it will just annoy the decision maker.
    Any views on this would be very much appreciated.
    I would also like to thank everyone for their support. It means a lot.x
    Originally posted by pampam
    See what the PA4 says... possibly get it by end of week...hopefully it is useful.. if not then may have to consider tackling it... if not sooner then later.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 13th Mar 17, 8:17 PM
    • 909 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    NeilCr
    My reaction is to wait. If you get the right result than maybe you can make a complaint. If it goes against you then it could form part of the appeal.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 13th Mar 17, 8:42 PM
    • 3,708 Posts
    • 3,776 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    job centre plus told me this week tthat I can apply for PIP if i receive DLA,
    Originally posted by lollipopsarah
    I would never advise somebody who is already in receipt of DLA to voluntarily apply for PIP. The qualifying criteria for PIP are much more severe in some areas so you have nothing to gain, and potentially a lot to lose by applying for PIP. Wait for them to send you the forms for PIP, at that stage you have no option.
    • pampam
    • By pampam 23rd Mar 17, 7:55 AM
    • 394 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    pampam
    PA4 arrived
    Received the PA4 this morning.
    I am amazed to find that ,if I have read it properly, Joe has got 18 points!!
    I have checked online for the score figures and it looks like he will remain on the same rate as he had previously. (This is, of-course, as long as the decision maker agrees.)

I will let you all know what happens when we get the award letter.

I would like to thank all the people who commented on my thread for your support. It really helps to know that people will take time out of their day to give their views and tell of their own experiences. I wouldn't have known anything about the PA4 form with the help of "Muttleythefrog"

This forum is amazing and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.xx
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 23rd Mar 17, 8:05 AM
    • 909 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    NeilCr
    That's great news!

I think it does demonstrate that it's usually worth waiting for the actual outcome. Quite often people feel it hasn't gone well but then it proves that the result is okay (I'm like that with interviews!)

Very pleased for you both
    • pampam
    • By pampam 23rd Mar 17, 8:33 AM
    • 394 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    pampam
    Thank you Neil. Am I write in thinking that the scores of 18 points are a good indicator that the renewal should go through ok? Joe is still stressed out about it!
    • pampam
    • By pampam 23rd Mar 17, 8:33 AM
    • 394 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    pampam
    sorry right not write!! lol
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 23rd Mar 17, 8:39 AM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 1,038 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Sounds like good news but it's never 100% until a decision has been made. Mostly the DM goes with the report but it has been known to go against it.
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 26th Mar 17, 3:26 AM
    • 10,329 Posts
    • 19,135 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    Yes just catching up with this. Does sound likely an award will be coming then. It is true as suggested above that the assessment and report might conflict in the mind to claimant or supporter. On another thread someone reported a wonderfully interested HCP who took great time to investigate problems... that may imply they're new and professional.. and potentially won't last long doing the job due to internal pressures they're likely to face regarding outcomes and surely efficiency. Here they sounded as if they're so used to knocking out reports they didn't really care about the protocols or professionalism... seen it before... just want to get some basic facts and do my report for the money. Two extremely different approaches but in both cases it may not be obvious what the report will reflect. I was recently talking to someone who enquired about what these assessments are like... I replied 'well you know I've been interviewed by police a lot in the past right? Well... it's a bit like that except the police show interest in who you are, what you're saying and it's formally recorded so there can be little dispute as to what was said".
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 26th Mar 17, 9:36 AM
    • 838 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    I was recently talking to someone who enquired about what these assessments are like... I replied 'well you know I've been interviewed by police a lot in the past right? Well... it's a bit like that except the police show interest in who you are, what you're saying and it's formally recorded so there can be little dispute as to what was said".
    Originally posted by Muttleythefrog
    Surely one of the main differences between a police interview and a DWP assessment is that the police have to gather evidence to disprove what you say whereas the DWP assessment is there for the claimant to prove what they claim to be entitled to?
    Additionally you need say nothing in a police interview as it is their job to do the proving.
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 26th Mar 17, 12:17 PM
    • 10,329 Posts
    • 19,135 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    Surely one of the main differences between a police interview and a DWP assessment is that the police have to gather evidence to disprove what you say whereas the DWP assessment is there for the claimant to prove what they claim to be entitled to?
    Additionally you need say nothing in a police interview as it is their job to do the proving.
    Originally posted by rockingbilly
    Em not the police interviews I've been in... I was innocent! In both scenarios it was about them asking questions, me giving honest answers and hoping both would conclude the reality...lol
    • Gareth56
    • By Gareth56 26th Mar 17, 12:40 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    Gareth56
    I'm not sure what this assessor was talking about but clearly they weren't sticking to THIS
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,655Posts Today

9,332Users online

Martin's Twitter