Tenants-in common and property deeds

Options
My father-in-law recently died and in his Will he left his share of his house equally to his son and daughter as tenants-in-common. The other half of the house remains with his spouse. On checking with the Land Registry he made the tenants-in-common agreement in 2009 when the property was Leasehold. In 2011 he bought the Freehold to the property but the deeds did not take into account the tenants-in-common agreement and the deeds of the house now show the property in joint ownership with his wife. This means all of the property will go to his wife. This is clearly an oversight by the Solicitors who arranged the Freehold purchase. Does anyone know if my father-in-law's Will overrides the deeds of the property?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,330 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    My father-in-law recently died and in his Will he left his share of his house equally to his son and daughter as tenants-in-common. The other half of the house remains with his spouse. On checking with the Land Registry he made the tenants-in-common agreement in 2009 when the property was Leasehold. In 2011 he bought the Freehold to the property but the deeds did not take into account the tenants-in-common agreement and the deeds of the house now show the property in joint ownership with his wife. This means all of the property will go to his wife. This is clearly an oversight by the Solicitors who arranged the Freehold purchase. Does anyone know if my father-in-law's Will overrides the deeds of the property?
    You can't leave something in a will that you don't own. The solution is for the a deed of variation to be executred. However, none of the beneficiaries including the widow are under no obligation to agree to it.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A DOV is pointless. The house, or a share of, doesn't form part of the deceased estate so nothing to vary
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    Of course! I will get my brain in gear. Thanks for correcting me.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 9 March 2017 at 10:41PM
    Options
    Anyone can do a DOV any time it just documents a gift, issue is it has no benefit for TAX and CGT that death based DOV can have.

As it happens, IF there was a life interest to the spouse and the spouse planed to gift her share the same split, it makes little difference long term other than the asset does not get protected from care fees.

the first thing to check is if the lease and freehold were combined into a single title. if not there could still be a tenants in common lease.

Also a DOV is NOT a change of a will it is change by a beneficiary of anything they end up owning.

AIUI the spouse can sever the joint tenancy and gift the share and get the tax benefits.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/51/section/142

the survivorship falls into the otherwise component of section of 142(1a)
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    https://www.taxation.co.uk/articles/2001/11/08/1421/replies-queries-4-post-death-planning explains that quite well.

Assuming spouse wants to do a DOV
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport