Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cashferret
    • By cashferret 8th Mar 17, 11:33 AM
    • 177Posts
    • 91Thanks
    cashferret
    Where to store valuables outside the home?
    • 8th Mar 17, 11:33 AM
    Where to store valuables outside the home? 8th Mar 17 at 11:33 AM
    Banks no longer seem to have safety deposit boxes.

Where can valuables be stored outside the home these days? I have some things that I need to store elsewhere but would need to access regularly.
Page 1
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 8th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 3,008 Posts
    • 6,649 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 8th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    If you're in London, Harrods or Selfridges.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Rain Shadow
    • By Rain Shadow 8th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 3,039 Thanks
    Rain Shadow
    • 8th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 12:10 PM
    Are the valuables of high monetary value (jewellery and the like) or are they things with no direct monetary value but which you need to restrict access to (passports and personal documentation, for instance)?
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
    • 27cool
    • By 27cool 8th Mar 17, 2:11 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    27cool
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:11 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 2:11 PM
    I can't be of any help, as I don't have any valuables.
    • greyfox
    • By greyfox 8th Mar 17, 3:04 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 2,393 Thanks
    greyfox
    • 8th Mar 17, 3:04 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 3:04 PM
    Metrobank still offer safety deposit boxes & are open 8am to 8pm 7 days a week. They only have branches in the London area, though.

Is it essential that these things are kept outside the house? An electronic safe somewhere in the house (or garage) would be a lot simpler & accessible 24/7.
    • LEJC
    • By LEJC 8th Mar 17, 3:13 PM
    • 8,624 Posts
    • 54,407 Thanks
    LEJC
    • 8th Mar 17, 3:13 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 3:13 PM
    If you contact your local police station they should have lists of approved storage places in your local area.
    It is dependant on what you need to store as others have said but your crime prevention officer should be able to help with placing you in touch with reputable storage companies.

I also believe that if you are in the older age bracket somewhere like age concern also offer similar advice
    frugal October...£45.59 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!
    Jan £41.60/£40
    Feb £54.58/£40...gave up this month 15/2
    Mar £37.02/£40...lots of help via a gift card and vouchers
    May
    2017 toiletries 75 out 79 in ...£13.96 spend
    • vansboy
    • By vansboy 8th Mar 17, 8:04 PM
    • 6,058 Posts
    • 4,295 Thanks
    vansboy
    • 8th Mar 17, 8:04 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 8:04 PM
    If you contact your local police station they should have lists of approved storage places in your local area.
    It is dependant on what you need to store as others have said but your crime prevention officer should be able to help with placing you in touch with reputable storage companies.

I also believe that if you are in the older age bracket somewhere like age concern also offer similar advice
    Originally posted by LEJC

And dont forget to let someone you trust, know how to gain access, should you not be around/unwell/other reason

VB
    • Chanes
    • By Chanes 8th Mar 17, 9:18 PM
    • 840 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    Chanes
    • 8th Mar 17, 9:18 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 9:18 PM
    Some branches of HSBC still have safety deposit boxes.
    • Andy L
    • By Andy L 9th Mar 17, 10:26 AM
    • 8,280 Posts
    • 6,514 Thanks
    Andy L
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:26 AM
    • 9th Mar 17, 10:26 AM
    Big yellow storage and the like have a smallest option of a 3ft cube. To big?
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 9th Mar 17, 10:30 AM
    • 31,207 Posts
    • 36,903 Thanks
    Browntoa
    or just do what the criminal fraternity do , black bin bag , big hole in garden ........ bob's your uncle
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • barnaclebill
    • By barnaclebill 9th Mar 17, 1:46 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    barnaclebill
    Just recently I have noticed adverts for safety deposit box's from a company that is not a bank and thought why not just use a bank but if the banks have stopped renting them I can see private firms offering the service
    • MX5huggy
    • By MX5huggy 9th Mar 17, 8:40 PM
    • 4,042 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    MX5huggy
    There was that place in Hatton Garden....
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 9th Mar 17, 11:52 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 1,628 Thanks
    FreeBear
    An electronic safe somewhere in the house (or garage) would be a lot simpler & accessible 24/7.
    Originally posted by greyfox
    Have a look at some of the youtube vids on opening these "safes" - Put me right off buying one. Went for a second hand Chubb with mechanical locks and some serious heavy duty fixings to bolt it to the floor.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • cashferret
    • By cashferret 10th Mar 17, 9:52 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    cashferret
    Thanks, everyone - I'm not in London so can't use those London-specific options.

The things I need to store aren't jewellery etc. but documents and data. I'm aware of cloud storage, of course, but have concerns over security/hacking etc.

I'd like to be able to keep back-up copies outside my home but would need easy access so that I could keep storing updated copies.

I live in a city but don't have a car and have mobility problems so I'm really looking for somewhere that would be on a High Street rather than on some industrial park that I couldn't get to (so not large storage units).

I live in a flat and don't have a garage or car that I could store things in (my main concern is fire).

This Metrosafe article suggests that HSBC no longer offer safety deposit boxes:

http://www.metrosafe.co.uk/editorials/news-releases/date/2015/12/09/what-replaces-hsbc-and-barclays-after-uk-exit-from-safe-deposit-boxes/

Interesting idea about asking the local police!

And good advice about giving access details to a trusted person.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 11th Mar 17, 8:23 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 1,628 Thanks
    FreeBear
    The things I need to store are[...] documents and data. I'm aware of cloud storage, of course, but have concerns over security/hacking etc.
    Originally posted by cashferret
    Cloud storage should not be relied on for the long term. Anything based on computers have a finite life and eventually get replaced with the next best thing.

If it is just documents & data of little monetary value (to someone else), how about a data safe located in a shed at the bottom of the garden ?
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 11th Mar 17, 8:30 PM
    • 3,135 Posts
    • 5,340 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    If your main concern is fire ......

https://www.safe.co.uk/Categories/fireproof-safes/1.html

.....or similar
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • SplanK
    • By SplanK 12th Mar 17, 1:26 PM
    • 1,046 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    SplanK
    portable hard drive which is encrypted located at another house? Friends, relative's?

I scan all my documents in that I get through the post, or wage slips and stuff which is stored on my home server. I then back this server up to another machine at my parents. Works quite well, but this isn't the most straight forward thing unless you know what you are doing... however a couple of portable hard drives in rotation would work just as well for stuff that does not change all too often.
    • Lummoxley
    • By Lummoxley 12th Mar 17, 10:08 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    Lummoxley
    I've seen Storemates mentioned on here, would that be an option?

https://storemates.co.uk/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,945Posts Today

6,913Users online

Martin's Twitter