Where to store valuables outside the home?

Options
Banks no longer seem to have safety deposit boxes.

Where can valuables be stored outside the home these days? I have some things that I need to store elsewhere but would need to access regularly.

Comments

• onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you're in London, Harrods or Selfridges.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Options
    Are the valuables of high monetary value (jewellery and the like) or are they things with no direct monetary value but which you need to restrict access to (passports and personal documentation, for instance)?
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • 27cool
    27cool Posts: 267 Forumite
    Options
    I can't be of any help, as I don't have any valuables.
  • greyfox
    greyfox Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Metrobank still offer safety deposit boxes & are open 8am to 8pm 7 days a week. They only have branches in the London area, though.

Is it essential that these things are kept outside the house? An electronic safe somewhere in the house (or garage) would be a lot simpler & accessible 24/7.
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Options
    If you contact your local police station they should have lists of approved storage places in your local area.
    It is dependant on what you need to store as others have said but your crime prevention officer should be able to help with placing you in touch with reputable storage companies.

I also believe that if you are in the older age bracket somewhere like age concern also offer similar advice
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LEJC wrote: »
    If you contact your local police station they should have lists of approved storage places in your local area.
    It is dependant on what you need to store as others have said but your crime prevention officer should be able to help with placing you in touch with reputable storage companies.

I also believe that if you are in the older age bracket somewhere like age concern also offer similar advice

And dont forget to let someone you trust, know how to gain access, should you not be around/unwell/other reason

VB
  • Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some branches of HSBC still have safety deposit boxes.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Big yellow storage and the like have a smallest option of a 3ft cube. To big?
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    or just do what the criminal fraternity do , black bin bag , big hole in garden ........ bob's your uncle
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • barnaclebill
    barnaclebill Posts: 411 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just recently I have noticed adverts for safety deposit box's from a company that is not a bank and thought why not just use a bank but if the banks have stopped renting them I can see private firms offering the service
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure