Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 8th Mar 17, 11:21 AM
    • 859Posts
    • 160Thanks
    shaggy
    currys refund on my TV after 30 days - what are my rights?
    • 8th Mar 17, 11:21 AM
    currys refund on my TV after 30 days - what are my rights? 8th Mar 17 at 11:21 AM
    Hi all,

Was wondering if someone can advise me on this.

I got a large TV off currys back in January. Unfortunately was not able to open and install it until I moved house - which was earlier this week.

Now I find that there is a fault with the sound on the TV. its actually rubbish and very tinny. Something I wouldnt expect from an £800+ TV. The Currys refund policy indicates full refund within 21 days, or if it is faulty can exchange or refund within 30 days.

I dont meet either of these conditions as its been over 30 days. Am I within rights to demand a refund as the product is faulty?
    Last edited by shaggy; 08-03-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Page 1
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 8th Mar 17, 11:27 AM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,548 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 8th Mar 17, 11:27 AM
    • 8th Mar 17, 11:27 AM
    Hi all,

Was wondering if someone can advise me on this.

I got a large TV off currys back in January. Unfortunately was not able to open and install it until I moved house - which was earlier this week.

Now I find that there is a fault with the sound on the TV. The Currys refund policy indicates full refund within 21 days, or if it is faulty can exchange or refund within 30 days.

I dont meet either of these conditions as its been over 30 days. Am I within rights to demand a refund as the product is faulty?
    Originally posted by shaggy
    You have up to six years to seek a remedy from the seller.

That remedy could be either a repair, replacement or refund.
    You can express a choice but you cannot expect the seller to provide a disproportionate remedy.
    So effectively, the seller chooses the remedy - probably a repair in your case, possibly a replacement, but unlikely to be refund.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 8th Mar 17, 11:28 AM
    • 9,332 Posts
    • 10,507 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 8th Mar 17, 11:28 AM
    • 8th Mar 17, 11:28 AM
    If goods are faulty more than 30 days from purchase, the retailer can choose whether to replace, refund or repair.
    You can state your preference but the final decision is ultimately down to the retailer.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 8th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    • 2,366 Posts
    • 2,463 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 8th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    • 8th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    Is it a fault or is that the sound is not as good as you would like?

When I bought my last TV, the majority of the less than 5* reviews said the sound was sub par, personally I found it acceptable and had no complaints. If the quality of sound is a major factor in your choice of TV perhaps you should have made the effort to try it out earlier within the "change of mind" timeframe.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 8th Mar 17, 11:52 AM
    • 859 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    shaggy
    • 8th Mar 17, 11:52 AM
    • 8th Mar 17, 11:52 AM
    Thanks for all your replies. I'm not sure if there is a fault in the sound it's just tinny and plenty of screeching and not what I expected an £800 tv to sound like. It's very difficult to test sound for something like this in store when you have 20 other TVs blasting out at you in all directions.

Should I call currys and ask for a refund (which I know they don't have to give me)
    • Leo2020
    • By Leo2020 8th Mar 17, 11:57 AM
    • 877 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    Leo2020
    • 8th Mar 17, 11:57 AM
    • 8th Mar 17, 11:57 AM
    You can ask but just don't expect a yes. They may offer to send an engineer out to check it but it maybe a case of nothing wrong with it just not to your liking. You could always purchase a soundbar. The TV I bought didn't have brilliant reviews for the sound, I thought it was fine I purchased the soundbar because I use the TV for playing music. The sound through a soundbar is much better.
    • LABMAN
    • By LABMAN 8th Mar 17, 1:46 PM
    • 620 Posts
    • 966 Thanks
    LABMAN
    • 8th Mar 17, 1:46 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 1:46 PM
    Have you adjusted the sound settings to see if you can improve the audio quality?
    Je suis Parisien
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 8th Mar 17, 1:48 PM
    • 9,850 Posts
    • 6,855 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 8th Mar 17, 1:48 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 1:48 PM
    Is it though? One of the biggest problems as TVs get thinner is the sound suffers as a result. It may just well be that the sound isn't particular great with this make/model of TV, doesn't mean that there's a fault.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 8th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 1,716 Posts
    • 2,293 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 8th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 1:52 PM
    All my friends have purchased sound bars as the new slim tv's don't have the clear audio that older larger sets have.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Mar 17, 2:04 PM
    • 18,134 Posts
    • 13,841 Thanks
    agrinnall
    You don't necessarily need to purchase a sound bar to get better sound out of your TV, I use a digital optical cable from my TV into my Denon micro hifi system to get additional sound from my freestanding speakers.
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 8th Mar 17, 2:07 PM
    • 2,807 Posts
    • 3,795 Thanks
    George Michael
    Think of the speakers in the newTV set being like those in a pair of extremely small earphones compared to the speakers fitted in a par of large over the ear headphones.
    There is very little space to put the speakers and as such, the frequency range and output will be very limited.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 8th Mar 17, 3:04 PM
    • 4,441 Posts
    • 7,007 Thanks
    Gavin83
    The sound produced from a TV, particularly the more expensive models is generally pretty poor. The manufacturers often make the assumption you'll use a soundbar or a home cinema system for the sound and just use the TV for viewing. Basically I'm telling you not to expect great sound quality from a TV regardless of price, unless it's one of the rare models that is designed to produce a better sound. I'd actually go as far as to suggest I'd expect the sound quality to be poor.

You need to decide if it's just you being disappointed with the sound quality or if there is an actual fault. If it's just your perception you have no rights at all. Even if it's faulty you have no rights to a refund, they are able to attempt a repair.
    • CoolHotCold
    • By CoolHotCold 8th Mar 17, 3:09 PM
    • 2,075 Posts
    • 1,292 Thanks
    CoolHotCold
    As the TV's have shrunk in thickness, it directly affects the audio.

With less space to work with, the speakers get even smaller and harder to produce a wide soundstage.

Thankfully, there are a myriad of different options to increase the sound quality, from a Sound Bar or Home Theatre Kit, to a set of Pc speakers, most TV's will have HDMI ARC, Optical and a 3.5mm output for audio. Almost any option is better than the built in speaker.
    • cajef
    • By cajef 8th Mar 17, 3:54 PM
    • 4,459 Posts
    • 3,528 Thanks
    cajef
    I use a digital optical cable from my TV into my Denon micro hifi system to get additional sound from my freestanding speakers.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    While we don't have a problem with the speakers in our Panasonic TV we have the same setup with a Teac receiver/amplifier and separate speakers when we watch any programs when we want better sound quality.
    Last edited by cajef; 08-03-2017 at 3:56 PM.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Mar 17, 4:55 PM
    • 18,134 Posts
    • 13,841 Thanks
    agrinnall
    While we don't have a problem with the speakers in our Panasonic TV we have the same setup with a Teac receiver/amplifier and separate speakers when we watch any programs when we want better sound quality.
    Originally posted by cajef
    My TV is also a Panasonic and I now use the hifi for better sound all the time, I could live with the TV only sound if I had to to but for the sake of pressing 1 (or 2 at most) buttons on a remote control it makes no sense to put up with worse sound.
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 12th Mar 17, 10:00 AM
    • 5,160 Posts
    • 4,653 Thanks
    thescouselander
    Doesn't sound like a fault to me. The sound from modern TVs is extremely poor (offensive even) and it seems to get worse the more you pay. If you like the other aspects of the TV there's probably no point in changing it because another model won't be any better.

It's worth getting a sound bar or a small amp and speakers to improve the sound. I've got a little Teac Ai-101da amp hooked up to some bookshelf speakers - sounds great and much better than any sound bar I've heard.
    Last edited by thescouselander; 12-03-2017 at 10:03 AM.
    • doverswot
    • By doverswot 13th Mar 17, 7:05 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    doverswot
    My TV is also a Panasonic and I now use the hifi for better sound all the time, I could live with the TV only sound if I had to to but for the sake of pressing 1 (or 2 at most) buttons on a remote control it makes no sense to put up with worse sound.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    and if you want a cost effective way to have a single remote to control your TV and volume on your soundbar / amp with no extra button pushes, I'd recommend one of these, which I bought 6 months ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003NSIE40/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 13th Mar 17, 7:17 AM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 2,051 Thanks
    unforeseen
    and if you want a cost effective way to have a single remote to control your TV and volume on your soundbar / amp with no extra button pushes, I'd recommend one of these, which I bought 6 months ago.

Originally posted by doverswot
    The newer version of that can be got cheaper in Sainsbury's
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Mar 17, 12:37 PM
    • 19,030 Posts
    • 9,150 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    It's very difficult to test sound for something like this in store when you have 20 other TVs blasting out at you in all directions.
    TV showrooms don't have the sound turned up on multiple TVs at the same time. It would be like Bedlam!

As most everyone else advises, this is not a fault. It's a rather deliberate design "flaw" in order to make the TV as flat as possible. If you find the sound to be inadequate, I can only suggest you invest in a separate sound system.

Curry's are very unlikely to agree a refund based on what you have said here.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 13th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 3,048 Posts
    • 5,290 Thanks
    Fosterdog

Originally posted by doverswot
    Most of the TV remotes control the sound bar volume these days, we have both LG downstairs and an LG tv with Samsung sound bar upstairs and we just use the TV remotes for them both without needing to buy any others.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,731Posts Today

8,104Users online

Martin's Twitter