Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Faye
    • By MSE Faye 3rd Mar 17, 1:24 PM
    • 146Posts
    • 55Thanks
    MSE Faye
    Driving to France? Check if you need a new emissions sticker to avoid a fine
    • 3rd Mar 17, 1:24 PM
    Driving to France? Check if you need a new emissions sticker to avoid a fine 3rd Mar 17 at 1:24 PM
    New rules in Paris, Lyon and Grenoble mean you're likely to need to display a vehicle emissions sticker when driving...
    Read the full story:
    'Driving to France? Check if you need a new emissions sticker to avoid a fine'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
    Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 2
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 21st Jun 17, 6:05 PM
    • 15,292 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    AdrianC
    1963! Surely its been paid for by now?
    Originally posted by Johno100
    What's that got to do with anything?
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 21st Jun 17, 6:46 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 3,216 Thanks
    Johno100
    What's that got to do with anything?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Once it is paid for there is no justification to keep charging the motorist. For example the Severn Bridge (opened in 1966), tolls are going to be abolished next year.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/3581037/the-6-70-severn-bridge-toll-to-be-scrapped-making-it-free-to-get-to-wales-promises-theresa-may/
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 21st Jun 17, 6:56 PM
    • 15,292 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Once it is paid for there is no justification to keep charging the motorist.
    That's very lovely theory. No more than that, though.

It isn't a toll, it's a charge. The Transport Act 2000 explicitly allows charging schemes on any tunnel or bridge over 600m in length.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/38/section/167

Somebody's got to pay. Is it the users, or everybody through tax?
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 21st Jun 17, 7:03 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 3,216 Thanks
    Johno100
    Somebody's got to pay. Is it the users, or everybody through tax?
    Pay for maintenance like the rest of the roads? Perhaps they could use some of the billions paid by motorists that gets diverted to other uses.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 21st Jun 17, 7:15 PM
    • 15,292 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Pay for maintenance like the rest of the roads? Perhaps they could use some of the billions paid by motorists that gets diverted to other uses.
    Money comes into government. Through a variety of ways.
    Money goes out of government. In a variety of directions.

Right now, more money goes out than comes in. It's called a deficit. You might have heard of it.

If less money comes in from one direction, less money has to go out, or more money has to come in from somewhere else. Not hard maths.

B'sides all that, the Dartford Crossing isn't maintained by the government, and the charge doesn't go to the government. It's operated privately, under contract to the government, and has been since the bridge was built privately in 1988.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 21st Jun 17, 7:39 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 3,216 Thanks
    Johno100
    Money comes into government. Through a variety of ways.
    Money goes out of government. In a variety of directions.

Right now, more money goes out than comes in. It's called a deficit. You might have heard of it.

If less money comes in from one direction, less money has to go out, or more money has to come in from somewhere else. Not hard maths.
    Whatever, I doesn't mean the motorist isn't being screwed.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 21st Jun 17, 9:56 PM
    • 15,292 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Whatever, I doesn't mean the motorist isn't being screwed.
    I'm glad to see that evidence and reality won't sway you from your conspiracy theory.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 21st Jun 17, 10:48 PM
    • 3,001 Posts
    • 3,216 Thanks
    Johno100
    I'm glad to see that evidence and reality won't sway you from your conspiracy theory.
    Conspiracy theory? Try hard facts (yes a couple of years old but not a lot has changed)

Only £7.5bn of £30.7bn raised in 2012 was spent on roads - concern at big shortfall

Road users are now paying four times more money to Chancellor George Osborne in motoring taxes than is being spent by the Government on roads, according to research by the RAC Foundation.

The motoring research charity found that in 2012 a total of £30.7billion was raised from direct motoring taxation; £24.8bn from fuel duty and £5.9bn from vehicle excise duty (VED). However, in the same year just £7.5bn (24 per cent of motoring tax income) was spent on the road network, with £3bn spent on national roads and £4.5bn on local roads.
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/89224/only-a-quarter-of-car-tax-is-spent-on-roads
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 21st Jun 17, 11:21 PM
    • 15,292 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Conspiracy theory? Try hard facts (yes a couple of years old but not a lot has changed)
    Whoever promised you that VED and fuel duty would be hypothecated? They used to be - but that link was broken in 1936, by the then Chancellor - Churchill, W.

VED and fuel duty go into general taxation. That money means less money needed from VAT or income tax or whichever other sources. Or, if you prefer, less need to cut expenditure elsewhere.
    • cfw1994
    • By cfw1994 20th Aug 17, 6:13 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    cfw1994
    bottom right or left?
    So their instructions tell me to put it in the bottom right corner of the windscreen....
    ...but of course that is fine for a LHD French car: mine is clearly RHD - anyone know if it is fine even if it is on the bottom LEFT (where our old tax discs would have gone) ?
    Maybe even in a tax disc holder to avoid marking the screen (& being portable if the screen was replaced, as mine was a month ago - glad I hadn't already fitted it for our trip later this week!)

thanks!
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 22nd Aug 17, 7:31 AM
    • 15,292 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    AdrianC
    So their instructions tell me to put it in the bottom right corner of the windscreen....
    ...but of course that is fine for a LHD French car: mine is clearly RHD - anyone know if it is fine even if it is on the bottom LEFT (where our old tax discs would have gone) ?
    Originally posted by cfw1994
    The reason they ask you to put it on the nearside is the same as the tax disc used to go in the nearside - so it's easily seen from the kerb, when parked roadside.

Maybe even in a tax disc holder to avoid marking the screen (& being portable if the screen was replaced, as mine was a month ago - glad I hadn't already fitted it for our trip later this week!)
    The whole idea of the sticker is that it's not easily portable between vehicles.
    • juliasdream
    • By juliasdream 23rd Aug 17, 1:05 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    juliasdream
    Receiving the vignette while in France
    I will be driving in France in less than 10 days time and I don't trust ordering a vignette and getting it in time
    Does anyone know if one can still receive mail at post offices when addressed via Poste Restante
    Its a service I used many years ago and used to be free
    Does it still exist and is it still free. What charge (if any)?

I tried calling but all post offices in France have 08 numbers which are the equivalent to our 0870 ones and cant be called from UK
    • cfw1994
    • By cfw1994 23rd Aug 17, 3:35 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    cfw1994
    The whole idea of the sticker is that it's not easily portable between vehicles.
    Trouble is you may have to replace a windscreen (speaking as someone who has had one replaced in the past 3 months!). & it DOES have the number plate on it, so no more of a concern than our old tax discs were in that regard!

Luckily I can confirm that I asked them the question, and got the positive reply:

"You can sure fix the certificate to the left side of your windscreen."

So good news!

I will be driving in France in less than 10 days time and I don't trust ordering a vignette and getting it in time
    Does anyone know if one can still receive mail at post offices when addressed via Poste Restante
    Originally posted by juliasdream
    Not sure about the Poste Restante, I'm sorry. I do seem to recall getting the vignette inside 2 weeks though.....for a fiver, I would order it pronto and hope!
    • juliasdream
    • By juliasdream 24th Aug 17, 4:57 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    juliasdream
    Great idea but a huge inconvenience for travellers
    I planned to travel in France around the beginning of September
    Only yesterday I learned about the need of special badges to enter major cities and it's really upset my plans

My biggest problem has firstly how to discover exactly which zones have the restrictions and when do they apply

A whole afternoon of investigating it and trying to understand all the ins and outs I still have some questions gone unanswered
    I don't see myself as being dyslexic but I feel one would need a degree to understand it all perfectly.

I found an app for my phone which gives a lot of info including maps of zones. It's a live app so gives current info on restrictions
    I recommend that anyone using the app not to buy their badges through it. They charge around 6 times the official fee but apart from that it's very useful
    The app is called Green Zones https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=greenzones.app&hl=en

Questions I still have
    I understand that one doesn't need a badge to travel through the zones over night. Is this true? If so what times apply?

If it is true and I drive into a zone such as Paris or Lille. Can I remain there parked up without driving until a time where there is no restrictions. I'm picturing policemen walking around at night pouncing on vehicles without a badge.

I see there are 2 kinds of zones in each city. ZCR and ZPA and I would like to understand the differences in simple terms
    I'd be grateful if anyone can help

I could sit down for another day and try to fathom it all out but I'm extremely busy with other commitments

I did however order my vignette online very early this morning and hopefully it will arrive on time If it doesn't I'll just have to avoid the areas where it's needed which would be very inconvenient.

I'd find it hard to believe that I'm the only one puzzled by all this
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 24th Aug 17, 8:32 PM
    • 4,221 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    This site should help:

http://www.urbanaccessregulations.eu/countries-mainmenu-147/france
    • juliasdream
    • By juliasdream 25th Aug 17, 11:50 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    juliasdream
    still struggling to get info
    Thanks Iceweasel, I had already tried that site but that too lacks information that would have been very useful
    For example

Scheme boundaries
    city center - map follows as soon as available
    Hours of operation
    Not yet known
    Exemptions
    Not yet known

They must be making a fortune in fines from people unaware of the scheme (I only found out by chance) and lack of important information. Not to mention how complicated the whole scheme is. I'm sure not everyone can make sense of it all. What about people who drive cars who are dyslexic
    I wonder how understanding the authorities will be considering that the scheme is fairly new
    • juliasdream
    • By juliasdream 25th Aug 17, 12:17 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    juliasdream
    Finally I have some good news
    I just received an email from the certificate-air-gouv in response to questions I had
    It included an attatchment with a photo of my certificate which I can display while waiting for it in the post with the following
    "the coupon below can be used as a provisional classification of the vehicle receipt pending the receipt of the certificate of quality air mail."
    • balsingh
    • By balsingh 8th Oct 17, 12:38 AM
    • 1,408 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    balsingh
    Hi,

Off to France next week and have concerns about this as I haven't got a sticker. Before everyone goes off saying I should have gone one, I just bought a new car this week and have no time to apply for the sticker. As a result, have a few questions ...

Can you drive within Paris outside the prescribed hours (8-8) without a sticker?
    Can you leave a car PARKED within Paris during the prescribed hours without a sticker? Someone said it only relates to cars being DRIVEN as opposed to PARKED.
    Finally, how is this enforced? Cameras or do you have to be stopped by a gendarme?

Based on the answers to the above, wondering if its feasible to drive into Paris after 8pm when the sticker isn't needed and leave the car parked up during the stay (free street parking near where I am staying and then use public transport) ... then leave Paris after 8pm too.

Thanks in advance.
    If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

336Posts Today

3,299Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin