Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 681Posts
    • 2,099Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Cherry takes the reins
    • 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    Cherry takes the reins 3rd Mar 17 at 12:10 AM
    Hi everyone.

I'm hoping I can legitimately post a diary here as I'm in the blessed position at the moment of my only actual debt being my mortgage, but I've had a huge change in my circumstances recently and how I manage it will have a big impact on our finances.

I need to talk things through, if only with myself, and motivate myself with small money savings and accountability. For the last few years I've not kept an eye on money but I work and DH's pay has gone up so we've had enough and a bit to spare and I've got lazy with some and wasn't mentally able to face other aspects. Now that I'm in a much better place mentally, I want to take the reins and be deliberate about what I spend. I need to start facing up to this right now because we are covering costs for my Mum's estate until probate is settled. I know this isn't legally necessary but we can pay ourselves back from the estate once the paperwork goes through and I don't like the estate to be building up debt (which oddly is possible).

A bit late tonight to launch into details about the estate so I will give a brief explanation of other financial stuff. DH and I have a couple of joint accounts and a mortgage. We have an aging car which needs to be replaced soon and is essential (DH's work and transport for a disabled relative). We are also going to a family wedding abroad in July, and have paid accommodation and air fares but there will also be car hire, food, sundries and some of the clothes still to buy. DH's income is the larger and pays all the utilities, holidays, fuel and etceteras. Mine goes into the other joint account and pays the mortgage and food, which gives me a lot of pride . I also pay for contact lenses, some donations which I don't want to stop, my phone contract and, temporarily, costs incurred trying to sort Mum's estate.

The breakdown of where my money goes (pcm):
    Mortgage: 282.24
    Donations: 120.00
    Contact lenses: 22.00
    Phone 8.40
    Amazon Prime: 7.99
    Food for 4 adults 80.00 (pw) (approx. 347 pm)

Income:
    Roughly 1,000 pcm (variable due to overtime)
    Bank £3 (if I get my wages transferred regularly)

This month and possibly next I have lots of extra fairly hefty outgoings in terms of travel, paying a cleaner, insurance etc. that are all to do with Mum's estate. I will, as I said, get these back from my eventual inheritance but meanwhile I want to tread carefully and of course it will decrease what I inherit. Duh.

To encourage myself I'm keeping this diary and would love to hear from others as I do so. I can't always see things clearly till others give input.

Action I can see I need to take:
    Get my wages paid directly into this account so I always get that £3! Done in time for May 2017
    Cancel Amazon Prime - cancelled 7/3/17

Little MS things I've managed today:
    Started this diary
    Taken lunch to work - overnight oats
    Mended a favourite cardigan so I can wear it in daylight
    Put myself down for 3 extra shifts. 2 of these particular type of shifts pay for a journey to work on Mum's house.

Uh-ohs
    Forgot DH had an evening meeting so went for the quick-cook supermarket pizza which isn't best use of food money when I could have been using stuff up.
    Far too tired after a late night and an early shift, to go for a run. I know that's nothing to do with money but for lent and my waistline I'm doing C25K.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 31-05-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Update
Page 11
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 2nd Jul 17, 12:06 AM
    • 426 Posts
    • 3,503 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Not long now until you fly out. Hopefully you will have a lot better weather than we have had here. Hope you manage to fit everything into the case ok, i'd never heard of travel cubes before. On the plus side, less room to spend money on things to bring back.
    If I don't get on before, have a fantastic time.
    LBM in April 17 - £3143/£33554 (9.3%) paid
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Jul 17, 2:16 PM
    • 681 Posts
    • 2,099 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I've been at work overnight and am back this afternoon but for some reason this feels like a day off. I've just done all the laundry, even the odds bits of separate hand-washing, so there will hopefully only be ordinary quick-wash stuff left to do before we go away.

I'm doing a practice pack, which is somewhat delayed by half my hot weather clothes being in the loft, and a lot of things that I only ever wear either abroad or in a heatwave need to be tried on. So I'm sitting here in wedding shoes and a rather nice pair of casual cropped trousers that were too tight last year, feeling semi-smug. Smug because I can get into stuff that I thought was just taking space that I can ill afford, and less than fully smug because I think I need to wade through the clothes and trial packing before I can afford time to go and do those bits of shopping which I still need.

My sweet neighbour has offered to water my plants while I'm away so in an ideal world I would suddenly have four days off and endless energy to clean and tidy but as it is I'm going to have to be creative.

The other thing that's coming home to me is a need to revamp my food to eat up list. Things need to be gone from the fridge, so here goes:

Food to use up
    4 pints milk - Remember to cancel the milk!
    desiccated coconut
    caramel
    custard powder
    yeast sachets
    mung beans
    flaked almonds
    mincemeat
    green lentils
    red lentils Used half these in the soup
    dates
    quinoa
    white rice (not nice!)
    Arborio rice
    a million onions - Down to one bag and a few strays
    9.5 peppers Now a bagful
    oil from chargrilled peppers
    3 eggs
    half a cabbage
    apples, peaches, bananas, grapes
    Mushrooms, carrots, cucumber, celery, swede, peas, peppers etc. Soup, anyone?
    potatoes - some old ones and two part-bags of new.
    assortment of cheeses
    14 jars of spreadables for toast now 12 jars
    4 assorted gravies
    vegetable suet
    Stuff in the freezer...

I have just opened some in-date milk and found it's gone off, and there's also at least one that's past its date, so there is some chucking-out to do. I'd better not make scones this time, or at least not a double batch, as they won't get eaten and I don't need the calories. DS has just knocked over a caddy of loose-leaf tea so at least the kitchen floor has been hovered. It's all a waste though.

The garden is producing abundant raspberries and currants and I want to harvest what I can before we go, then there are the put-off-no-longer jobs like cleaning the fish tank (poor fishies, I hate that I've not done it recently) and get them some more pond weed to snack on till we get back. Oh, and holiday sawdust and hay for the guinea pigs.

I'll undoubtedly have to amend this post later as I think of more...

2nd:
    Spends:
    Gift £7
    MS stuff:
    Extra overnight shift done.
    3rd
    Spends:
    NSD
    MS stuff:
    Found I now fit into 2 more pairs of summer trousers
    Made soup
    Made rice pudding
    Confession time:
    Threw out some milk and yogurt
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 03-07-2017 at 10:45 PM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 4th Jul 17, 11:58 PM
    • 681 Posts
    • 2,099 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    A quick catch-up from today:

Seem to have spent a lot of it trying on clothes, which was fun despite actually having put it off as long as possible.
    I really didn't get much done in the morning (except mooch around on here) then I got my act together and had a run which was great. Maybe I've cracked the 5K? I kept running the whole distance but actually got to the end with a bit of energy to spare and recovered fairly quickly. I also had a nice comment from a friend about it and a few more compliments from some of the holiday clothes I fetched out of storage! The advantage of compliments from clothes is that I can ditch the ones that disagree with me, so some stuff has gone.

The good news is the weight loss is progressing and I'm on the cusp of a smaller size so some smarter trousers that I've saved against this day, a couple of tops that I'd outgrown and a new bra, have all entered the fray. I have a handful of things to get rid of from the loft but not enough to make a big dent on the mountain of things I have up there.

I've had my piano lesson, got a few bits from the shops, had soup for tea and this evening I've spent a couple of hours with friends from church. Coming home I've been trying to find a press stud for DS2's shirt and of course I had plenty but not what I needed so another trip to the shops tomorrow as he needs that shirt to look good for the wedding and he flies on Thursday. However I did find a couple of tiny craft kits which will be perfect for me to take on hols. It will solve the problem of never being in the mood for the books I take.

I never realised how often I buy toiletries before I started to keep an account here: this time it was mostly sunscreen as I believe it loses efficacy as it gets older.

Spends:
    Piano £10.00
    Medical £4.80
    Housekeeping £0.50
    Toiletries £9.50
    Clothing £9.00
    Housekeeping £2.33
    MS stuff:
    Various clothes from the loft for hols and all the fun of rediscovering old favourites and some new treats still with the tags on.
    Bra was in the sale so only £5.
    Finished the last of the banana muffins!
    Soup made the other day was delicious (spicy lentil) and I persuaded DH that it was better to buy a whole small loaf for 70p than a single roll that a fly was buzzing round, for 75p. Besides, I then get posh bread from now till we go away.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 05-07-2017 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Found receipt
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 5th Jul 17, 2:01 AM
    • 681 Posts
    • 2,099 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Suddenly remembered I hadn't paid my CC!

Especially as it's been an expensive time. I wonder how often they get payments authorised in the small hours?

Off to bed now - night!
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 5th Jul 17, 6:43 AM
    • 2,159 Posts
    • 13,601 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Well done on the weight loss cherryfudge. It must feel nice shrinking back into your clothes. The running seems to suit you. You've definitely inspired me to try again.

It a good job you remembered to pay your card. Its times like these when you appreciate the internet and instant access.
    My August to Christmas challenge:.
    Pay off £2500 debt - £306/2500 12.24%
    Completely declutter the house by Christmas day...all of it.

Nothing should be wasted on the self-sufficient holding. The dustman should never have to call. John Seymour
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 5th Jul 17, 11:15 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Congrats on the weight loss Cherry. This is all very exciting.

I loathe packing. I hope you are better at it than I am.
    Family Loan of $8000 - Paid off 22/06/2017
    Emergency Fund $3749.35 / $10,000
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 5th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    • 4,771 Posts
    • 20,804 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Well done on the weight loss
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 6th Jul 17, 1:11 AM
    • 681 Posts
    • 2,099 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Thanks peeps I am happy to say I lunged headlong into the loft again this evening and emerged with a sweatshirt that is too small no longer. A present from my past to my future.

I also raided the shops and got the press studs which now make DS2's shirt nearly stop gaping. He isn't overweight, just not an easy person to fit. I've told him in future to buy a size bigger and I'll take in the waist.

He's packed and ready to leave tomorrow: I have one more shift. DH has finished work for now but will spend tomorrow doing all sorts of errands.

5th
    Spends
    Clothing £1.20
    Pets £10.00
    Hobbies £5.44
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 6th Jul 17, 6:44 AM
    • 2,159 Posts
    • 13,601 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Cherryfudge, I've figured it out, what your job is. Your a vampire aren't you. You only come out at night.

I bet you will be excited to get the shift done then holidays. I hope that packing is nearly finished. Mind you it's an absolutely vile job to do. Oh and emptying in when you return.

You are really inspiring me to run. I can cope with the difficulty of it, but I feel very self conscious and embarrassed. Perhaps when I get my new phone I will download C25k again.

Have a lovely holiday should I miss you.

Nothing should be wasted on the self-sufficient holding. The dustman should never have to call. John Seymour
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 6th Jul 17, 7:23 AM
    • 681 Posts
    • 2,099 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge, I've figured it out, what your job is. Your a vampire aren't you. You only come out at night.
    Originally posted by parsniphead
    Got it in one.

The packing is kind of half done... by which I mean I have borrowed DD's posh backpack which really has been proper travelling. You know, like a grown up. It's sitting there surrounded by a heap of things just waiting to leap neatly in. I am hoping it will make me look the part.

DS2 looked at the box my dress is packed in and asked me why I'm taking pizza...

Right, I'm off to work now. When I get back this afternoon my job is to do my nails and wash my hair and actually put things in the case, so we'll see how I do with that.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 6th Jul 17, 7:25 AM
    • 681 Posts
    • 2,099 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    P.S. Don't let the self-consciousness hold you back parsnip. It's worth the overcoming to get the results!
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 6th Jul 17, 2:16 PM
    • 1,528 Posts
    • 7,374 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    Hi Cherryfudge,
    Just a a quick catch up , you have been so busy! Sounds like you have an amazing holiday ahead and i hope you have a fabulous time!I wish I was as determined with the excercise/and weight loss, I have not been able to persevere

Lovely that you were able to honour your mum's wishes with scattering her ashes. and Lovely that you planted something beautiful that will grow. We plant roses too, always a beautiful reminder, I can't see one without thinking of my Dad.

NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/04/17 £66,996=7.62%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300Jan16 £190,800 Jan17£180,700
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 6th Jul 17, 11:50 PM
    • 681 Posts
    • 2,099 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Thanks NOA.

So: work this morning, gave myself 25 minuets to chill afterwards which turned into about an hour, then went into town for the last few 'bits' - all sorted now apart from the Post Office collections office being shut so if there's time tomorrow one of us will pop in to see if by a remote chance my missing 3bay parcel is there. Failing that I must remember to contact the vendor and say no luck.

I've cleaned the fish tank and DH has taken the guinea pigs to their holiday. I'm a bit sad as the more extrovert one is aging a lot... not sure if we'll see him again though our friends who are in charge are well able to take the best care of them both.

I still have a last-minute list, which now includes 2 items for DD and 3 for DS2, who seems to have landed in one piece and as far as I know been met by those already there. No messages of panic, anyway, just some fairly cheerful stuff.

Amazingly...! The missing health card, for which I turfed out the desk a few weeks ago, turned up on my dressing table. Serves me right for dumping other junk on there. DS2's card is missing but there's nothing I can do about that right now.

Spends:
    Housekeeping £2.40
    Gift £3.50
    Toiletries £8.13
    Padlock £5.50
    SD card £14.99
    MS stuff:
    Wombled 18p.
    Used up a pizza and some spinach from the fridge for tea.
    Sent the guinea pigs on holiday with celery, carrots and cucumber as well as their hay and dry food.
    Finished up a cheese spread and the last of the eggs for lunch.

So tomorrow's the big day - first of two! Long term importance is DS1's UK wedding!

This is the legal bit but they are counting their Mediterranean wedding as the 'real thing' - and that's what we're all going to celebrate. For various reasons including having a far-flung family, they will only have two witnesses tomorrow - meanwhile people are gathering from an assortment of places - different countries and continents - to share the day with them on Tuesday.

Well, I didn't get much sleep last night and I still have things to do in the morning before we leave after lunch for a hotel then fly on Saturday. Hoping the kids will have got ahead of me and done a decent supermarket shop before meeting us at the airport. There are definite advantages to having grown offspring!

So it's bedtime. Now, Well, when I've done a couple more bits of things... night night.

Tomorrow we're on our way - I made sure we will get wifi where we're staying so I may get the chance to update
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 7th Jul 17, 7:04 AM
    • 385 Posts
    • 1,153 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    How exciting! Have a wonderful time!
    paydbx #90 £325/£10,000.
    365 day penny challenge £37.66/£667.95
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 15th Jul 17, 11:34 PM
    • 681 Posts
    • 2,099 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Hello everyone - I'm back!

Superb holiday and wedding, stayed in budget as regards holiday spends but I don't have a blow-by-blow account (can't do exchange rates very well). I did get a couple of downloads of ebooks and bought small gifts and souvenirs but all euro spends are just going in the general 'holiday' column on my spreadsheet.

Downloads: £4.07 and I think £1.99.

Came back and spent £30ish on basic foods - my lovely semi-sane fridge space (discovered there is a back to the fridge!) is going to fill up again at this rate. I'm obviously a bit doo-lally as I forgot my purse so DH paid (out of the same budget but I will have to keep the receipt and claim loyalty points as soon as I can), then when I got home I'd forgotten a thank you gift for someone so I went back to the shops and found a lovely orchid for her.

Having said what a fantastic time we had, there was a near-crisis as one of the pets had to have an emergency trip to the vet on the morning we left. Thankfully that was resolved quickly and only cost us a fiver. Then sadly we got a text midweek to say one of our older animals was suffering. We had known this one was slowing but things seem to have turned a corner so sadly he has gone to green fields and dandelions in the sky. I know that was the only thing to do but it's still sad. It's also not the first time something like this has happened when we were on holiday: kind of makes me wary of going!

Well, I'm telling everything in the wrong order: the wedding was truly wonderful and our accommodation was lovely. We relaxed a lot and met up with various other guests for very chilled get-togethers, agreed some of us want to meet up in a similar way (maybe somewhere cheaper!) in a couple of years, and generally had the time of our lives.

I suppose I ought to do some number crunching at some point soon as I see I still have incomplete data for June in my signature. Not tonight, though, and not tomorrow. Oh, and I have at least a hundred posts to read off other people's threads!
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 15-07-2017 at 11:37 PM. Reason: I'm not making sense: think I need sleep!
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 15th Jul 17, 11:58 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 3,503 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Glad you've had a great time.
    Sorry to hear about your pet x
    LBM in April 17 - £3143/£33554 (9.3%) paid
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 16th Jul 17, 11:51 PM
    • 681 Posts
    • 2,099 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I managed an NSD today but only just as I'm being lured off the straight and narrow by a travel kettle. It can wait till tomorrow.

Nothing financial achieved today unless you count the not-spending.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 17th Jul 17, 6:46 AM
    • 2,159 Posts
    • 13,601 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Welcome back cherryfudge. Im glad you had a nice. Holiday and wedding.

Sad news about the pet. Dodgy hug for you.

• Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 17th Jul 17, 9:47 PM
    • 681 Posts
    • 2,099 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Still on my days off and will be till the end of the week, though I'm planning Wednesday to Friday as a trip to work on Mum's house.

Today I began the great catch-up on diaries, finished my holiday novel and did a couple of loads of laundry. It's lovely and hot so I'm not feeling the end of the holiday too abruptly. I did, however, go to the vet's to pay their bill then back at home made a little grave for the beastie and planted some flowers over him. Oh, and over a couple of baby birds that never got to fledging stage. I think the sparrowhawk got them.

I ordered my travel kettle - they are on clearance at 4rgos for £7.99 with lots of good reviews so I didn't take a lot of persuading. I meant to pick it up later today but spent ages getting my phone looked at so ran out of time. At least the phone seems to be working a bit better. Then I did various bits of shopping at the cheap place at the far end of town and the local supermarket, and got a can of pop to stave off dehydration. I also took the receipt from the other day for 29 loyalty points and a couple of random receipts for another 9p's worth.

Although it's too hot for jeans, I can see I'm going to struggle without a decent full-length blue pair, but I'm still losing weight and don't fit into the ones stashed in the loft, so I had a search of a few charity shops and found a nice pair for a fiver. Problem solved.

Spends:
    Pets (vet bill) £19.80
    Jeans £5.00
    Travel kettle (holidays budget) £7.99
    Stuff for Mum's house (to reclaim from estate) £2.00
    Plant £0.10
    Housekeeping £15.28
    MS stuff:
    Got the loyalty points back for last weekend's 'big' shop.
    Wombled 9p
    Didn't get anymore suncream (because I couldn't find what I wanted, but I'm only postponing that one).
    4stonish laundry liquid for £1.99, and on previous experience it does the job as well as more expensive brands.
    Bought a mint plant for all of 10p as it was getting very neglected at the shop.
    N3xt jeans for £5 has to be good. (Me fitting into them is even better! )
    Phone fix was free.
    Confession time:
    I could live without a travel kettle but it will make life easier on hols and might even be money saving as I'll trial it at home and will only be able to boil a couple of cups' worth at once!
    I would have saved 69p if I'd organised myself to bring water with me.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 17th Jul 17, 10:04 PM
    • 2,159 Posts
    • 13,601 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Youve had a busy day. Thats a big list.£5 for next jeans is a bargain.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,180Posts Today

8,256Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iamemmahill: After watching @MartinSLewis I rang my provider & asked them to recalculate my bill &it has gone from £81 to £51 a month.S?

• Seriously? How is this supporting Uber... IT'S A POLL! I do em ever day on topical subjects. And I've never promote? https://t.co/JrlxaoNLlY

• RT @Mum2DDSophie: @MartinSLewis Thanks for your advice! I have easily switched from Extra Energy standard tariff to another supplier and wi?

• Follow Martin