Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • beng165
    • By beng165 1st Mar 17, 7:49 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Second job, higher rate tax, gift aid
    • #1
    • 1st Mar 17, 7:49 PM
    Second job, higher rate tax, gift aid 1st Mar 17 at 7:49 PM

    I work as a doctor who earns just under £40k, and am starting to do some ad-hoc locum work at the weekends through a locum agency. As this will be a second job, my earnings will be taxed at 40%. I'm blessed with a good financial position and can afford to donate some of my income at present to charity. The extra earnings from this second job will be around £500 per month, all of which I can afford to give away.

    I assumed that the charity would be able to claim all of this 40% tax, which is wrong as it seems to be more complicated than that.

    (can't add link here as I'm a new user, google "gift aid, HMRC, higher rate)

    What I think this says is that the charity claims gift aid as normal, and I can claim back another 20% myself by self assessment or by asking HMRC to update my tax code.

    I'm currently paid through PAYE for my primary job, and will be on PAYE in the second job also. I don't submit a self assessment.

    As I understand it, to claim the extra 20% I'll have to contact HMRC to tell them about my charitable donations for them to update my tax code. I'm a bit confused.

    Will I have to tell HMRC about all of my donations, or just those where I'm hoping to claim the extra 20%?

    Is there any simpler way of doing this?

Page 1
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 2nd Mar 17, 12:49 AM
    • 37,245 Posts
    • 33,544 Thanks
    • #2
    • 2nd Mar 17, 12:49 AM
    • #2
    • 2nd Mar 17, 12:49 AM
    Personally, I think you'd do best to go into self-assessment, because your locum earnings are likely to vary; that might mean the PAYE system just can't get you on the 'right' tax code for your higher rate tax; and you can't reclaim the 20% tax on your Gift Aid charitable giving through your tax code because that may vary too ...

    And I think, although you are asking about charitable gifts, this would be better on the Cutting Tax board, so I hope the BG will move this for you.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 2 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, 1 baby jumper
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

901Posts Today

6,871Users online

Martin's Twitter