Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Luke
    • By MSE Luke 23rd Feb 17, 5:14 PM
    • 217Posts
    • 53Thanks
    MSE Luke
    MSE News: New totally free way to get your Experian Credit Report
    • 23rd Feb 17, 5:14 PM
    MSE News: New totally free way to get your Experian Credit Report 23rd Feb 17 at 5:14 PM
    It's your financial CV. You need to see what it says about you. If wrong it can kill cheap mortgages, mobiles & more...
    Read the full story:
    'New totally free way to get your Experian Credit Report'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 23-02-2017 at 5:17 PM.
Page 1
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 26th Feb 17, 7:16 PM
    • 6,108 Posts
    • 2,788 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    • 26th Feb 17, 7:16 PM
    • 26th Feb 17, 7:16 PM
    1. Experian Credit Score - are you a good risk? A score, from 0-999, based on your report, indicating if a typical lender will see you as a good or bad risk. Yet it's art not science, it doesn't include income & each lender is different.
    As pointed out numerous times on here for years, this number means absolutely nothing.

It omits things that credit suppliers take into account, skews things they do, and technically would only apply if Experian themselves were offering credit. People without jobs getting 999s, people with high salaries getting 500s.

But you can bet if Experian were offering credit, this scare wouldn't be the one they'd use to make a decision.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    o I am humble
    o You are attention seeking
    o She is Nadine Dorries
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 26th Feb 17, 9:10 PM
    • 14,647 Posts
    • 20,730 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 26th Feb 17, 9:10 PM
    • 26th Feb 17, 9:10 PM
    ...But you can bet if Experian were offering credit, this score wouldn't be the one they'd use to make a decision.
    Originally posted by Paul_Herring
    Experian aren't just a CRA. They do 'credit scoring' for banks as well. Mind you, I'd bet it was a different number to the one produced by the CRA.

http://www.experian.co.uk/financial-services/
    • onthego
    • By onthego 26th Feb 17, 10:26 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    onthego
    • 26th Feb 17, 10:26 PM
    • 26th Feb 17, 10:26 PM
    Is anyone else experiencing the same problems I am with the MSE credit club view of the Experian credit report, in that it shows duplicates or triplicates of all my current accounts and credit accounts, and then reports total credit usage as three times what it actually is, because it's counted each account three times?
    This seems to be just a problem with this website, as I got my Experian credit report direct from Experian the month before and it didn't have all these duplicates/triplicates on.
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 27th Feb 17, 9:25 AM
    • 599 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    • 27th Feb 17, 9:25 AM
    • 27th Feb 17, 9:25 AM
    Is anyone else experiencing the same problems I am with the MSE credit club view of the Experian credit report, in that it shows duplicates or triplicates of all my current accounts and credit accounts, and then reports total credit usage as three times what it actually is, because it's counted each account three times?
    Originally posted by onthego
    Hi onthego

We've had a few users raise this with us. It seems to be a problem where the info your provide to MSE is then matched up with Experian on your credit report.

Short-term the best way to raise this is via the 'need some help' button within your credit report, which'll flag this over to Experian.

MSE's and Experian's techies are aware of this and are looking into how it can be prevented from showing.
    • RedDwarf82
    • By RedDwarf82 27th Feb 17, 12:41 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    RedDwarf82
    • 27th Feb 17, 12:41 PM
    • 27th Feb 17, 12:41 PM
    Hi onthego

We've had a few users raise this with us. It seems to be a problem where the info your provide to MSE is then matched up with Experian on your credit report.

Short-term the best way to raise this is via the 'need some help' button within your credit report, which'll flag this over to Experian.

MSE's and Experian's techies are aware of this and are looking into how it can be prevented from showing.
    Originally posted by MSE Dan L
    What's known about it right now? Is it fair to suppose that if MSE sees onthego is using three times the credit he is actually using... then (at least some) lenders will see the same?
    Could onthego have been denied credit in the past because of this?
    • Malcnascar
    • By Malcnascar 27th Feb 17, 2:32 PM
    • 1,114 Posts
    • 1,217 Thanks
    Malcnascar
    • 27th Feb 17, 2:32 PM
    • 27th Feb 17, 2:32 PM
    Tried it t0day. Happy with some aspects, confused with others.

There were 10 soft searches with todays date, all for MSE credit club. Cant see why there was a need for this many searches. Needless to say I have decided to revert to "old fashioned" pay 2 direct to credit agency once a year for my credit file.

I have decided to discontinue this service but thanks for trying.

Rest of service told me what I expected and knew it's saved me 2 for this year for which I am grateful.
    • nomoneytoday
    • By nomoneytoday 27th Feb 17, 3:00 PM
    • 4,679 Posts
    • 2,820 Thanks
    nomoneytoday
    • 27th Feb 17, 3:00 PM
    • 27th Feb 17, 3:00 PM
    For some reason it has my score in the green, but spending pattern in the red.

Since my outgoings are less than 60% of my take home that seems at odds to me?

It would be interesting to see the maths behind the red score..
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 27th Feb 17, 3:39 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    • 27th Feb 17, 3:39 PM
    • 27th Feb 17, 3:39 PM
    It would be interesting to see the maths behind the red score..
    Originally posted by nomoneytoday
    Hi Nomoneytoday

Thanks for your comments. This might be something which is added in the future, but for the moment the best explanation is provided on the affordability tab.

There's quite a few different elements considered here, including the figures you tell us, info from your credit report, plus a few bits of data from the office of national statistics. Given the number of information points used in credit club, there's a balance on how much information we display vs this being even more confusing.
    • MSE Dan L
    • By MSE Dan L 27th Feb 17, 3:43 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    MSE Dan L
    There were 10 soft searches with todays date, all for MSE credit club. Cant see why there was a need for this many searches.
    Originally posted by Malcnascar
    Hi Malcnascar

At the moment, we don't do a complete soft search when you first log into your account as this would likely increase the time it takes to load up. So you'll see soft searches from verification, your score calculation, your report creation and then additional searches if you run eligibility checks. However these won't be added at every login - your score and report only update a maximum of every 30 days.

The main thing to remember is that these are all soft, so they don't affect your score or your ability to get credit.

For more on this topic, do take a look here.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/comparison-site-credit-score
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 27th Feb 17, 4:50 PM
    • 6,108 Posts
    • 2,788 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    Experian aren't just a CRA. They do 'credit scoring' for banks as well. Mind you, I'd bet it was a different number to the one produced by the CRA.

http://www.experian.co.uk/financial-services/
    Originally posted by antrobus
    They have been for ages. Elsethread, 6 years ago: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3158508#10

We may not lend money but we build credit scoring systems for many major UK lenders,
    by Experian company representative
    No, you provide a centralised data store whereby legitimate lenders may form an opinion on a potential borrower based on, among other things, that data you provide - which originated at other lenders.

(Absent any systems you may sell to lenders, but then again those systems will (should!) include stuff you don't put into the scores you sell.)

[...]

For a lender, your "score" may be a shortcut for them to whittle out the chaf from the wheat, so to speak, but if the numbers you give to lenders are anything like those you dish out to potential borrowers, I think those companies solely using that short-cut are either missing a lot of wheat, or getting lot of chaff.
    by Paul Herring
    (The whole post thread may be worth a read.)
    Last edited by Paul_Herring; 27-02-2017 at 4:55 PM.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    o I am humble
    o You are attention seeking
    o She is Nadine Dorries
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 28th Feb 17, 8:53 AM
    • 3,171 Posts
    • 1,675 Thanks
    MABLE
    Tried it t0day. Happy with some aspects, confused with others.

There were 10 soft searches with todays date, all for MSE credit club. Cant see why there was a need for this many searches. Needless to say I have decided to revert to "old fashioned" pay 2 direct to credit agency once a year for my credit file.

I have decided to discontinue this service but thanks for trying.

Rest of service told me what I expected and knew it's saved me 2 for this year for which I am grateful.
    Originally posted by Malcnascar
    I certainly would not bother paying 2 when I can see the same information for free. Also the so called soft searches are apparently never seen by a potential lender.
    • teffers
    • By teffers 1st Mar 17, 10:11 AM
    • 670 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    teffers
    Just to give an example of how strange/ridiculous/confusing/pointless credit scores can be, I have 3x different scores all from Experian.

All scores are within a 7 day period during which no changes took place:

BarclayCard Experian score = 853
    MSE Credirt Club Experian score = 861
    Experian Credit Matcher score = 933

Maybe I'm missing something especially as I'm easily confused
    • sonstream
    • By sonstream 1st Mar 17, 12:33 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    sonstream
    Just to give an example of how strange/ridiculous/confusing/pointless credit scores can be, I have 3x different scores all from Experian.

All scores are within a 7 day period during which no changes took place:

BarclayCard Experian score = 853
    MSE Credirt Club Experian score = 861
    Experian Credit Matcher score = 933

Maybe I'm missing something especially as I'm easily confused
    Originally posted by teffers
    The likely reason you have different scores from each product is....

BarclayCard Experian score = 853 updates once every 60 days
    MSE Credirt Club Experian score = 861 updates once every 30 days
    Experian Credit Matcher score = 933 updates once every 30 days

plus whatever address information you have listed with each

so depending on when you logged into each they will more likely show different scores
    • RedDwarf82
    • By RedDwarf82 1st Mar 17, 12:54 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    RedDwarf82
    Originally posted by sonstream
    Plus how the address information you input in the website:
    - Gets modified when stored in Barclays database (because the database doesn't accept commas, or it has a bug or whatever)
    - Gets modified when sent from Barclays to Experian (because the format to send to Experian doesn't accept the format in which is stored in the Barclays database)
    - Gets modified when Experian reads it (because somebody created a constant sized array and the whole address doesn't fill)
    - Gets modified when Experian parses it (because the Experian parser supposes any number at the start is the house number, not a flat number, or whatever)

It's not just that the credit score is random/meaningless. The information lenders receive is hidden from you so it could also be anything and we can just *hope* it's similar to the truth and/or what Credit Expert/MSE report.
    • onthego
    • By onthego 1st Mar 17, 9:23 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    onthego
    Hi onthego

Thanks for the reply, sorry I've only just seen it.
    I think it's because I've lived at my current address for three separate periods with different addresses in between, and the system was obviously not designed to cope with that. Should be an easy fix for a programmer I would think. I truly hope this is just an MSE display issue and has not affected what credit I've been offered from lenders in the past, that would explain a lot though!
    • teffers
    • By teffers 2nd Mar 17, 6:49 AM
    • 670 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    teffers
    The likely reason you have different scores from each product is....

BarclayCard Experian score = 853 updates once every 60 days
    MSE Credirt Club Experian score = 861 updates once every 30 days
    Experian Credit Matcher score = 933 updates once every 30 days

so depending on when you logged into each they will more likely show different scores
    Originally posted by sonstream
    I see what you're saying but each site gives a score 'generation date' all within a week of each other. However, if they're just picking a random date within that 30/60 day cycle, then I guess that would explain it.

As for the address details, here's me thinking they are actually just looking at my Experian credit reference and not adding in any of source site's inconsistencies ... anyway, thanks for the possible explanations, much appreciated.
    • RedDwarf82
    • By RedDwarf82 2nd Mar 17, 10:12 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    RedDwarf82
    As for the address details, here's me thinking they are actually just looking at my Experian credit reference
    Originally posted by teffers
    There is not such a thing as a "Experian credit reference". "Experian, generate me a credit score (same thing for reports) for the person with name "X" who has lived in "Y" and "Z" during these time periods, please." is all that happens.

Now Experian checks what information it has about that person on those addresses and from the information it *finds* (different to what it *has*) in its database it generates the score/report. It you happen to have a a 20K debt in a credit card registered in "Flat A, 19, Random Street" and you ask for credit or try to get a credit score providing as your address "19A, Random Street" Experian may well fail to notice that credit card is from the person asking for a score or credit and give you a different score (or make the lender accept instead of reject an application for a mortgage) than had it noticed they are the same address.
    • onthego
    • By onthego 3rd Mar 17, 9:41 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    onthego
    Hi onthego

Experian have told me that I need to delete my current address on MSE, only leave it on there the first time I lived there. But does that not mean lying? As I do currently live there? If I delete the most recent one, then it looks like I live at my previous address, which I don't. Also I've been on the electoral roll there on the different times I've lived there, if I delete some of the times I've lived there, this won't match up any more will it? If this is a real problem at their end and not an MSE display issue, maybe this is actually why I've struggled to get credit in the past despite managing my finances well. FFS. I will just have to wait until I move house and hopefully the problem will disappear then. Another two month wait before I can change bank then!
    • MHOWARD
    • By MHOWARD 3rd Mar 17, 10:25 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    MHOWARD
    I tried to sign up for this but failed verification. If asked me for my account number starting and ending with the number zero, I have no account starting and ending with these numbers.
    I still can get an experian credit report though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,916Posts Today

5,322Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin