PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Moving House Old Style

Options
debbiedeejay
debbiedeejay Posts: 504 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 24 February 2015 at 3:50PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hello All

We will be moving after living in our current house for 13 years. In this time we acquired sooooooo much stuff its unbelivable!Luckily the move is fairly local so I don't need to look for schools,work etc. Its just the problem of all the stuff we have.

The three DD are really excited about it all but I am already stressed out at the thought of sorting,packing,moving etc.

You see I am the biggest procastinator in the world (my windows outside have never been washed in 13 years)but I had just started reading Flyladys thread on how to tackle housework,but not done anything about it yet and now we have to move I am soooo worried!

I am so amazed at how much everyone manages to do every day!

How can I make the move to the new house if I can't keep on top of the daily housework already? I work during the week and at weekends I just let things slip away again and again. Its not good.

I should be really looking forward to this move but at the moment all I can see ahead is chaos!!!:confused:

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Crazy Clothes Challenge 2012 £57.20/£100,CCC 2013 £68.67/£100 ,CCC 2014 £94.32/£100
*Frugal Living Challenge 2012, 2013, 2014*
GC 2014 Jan £154.14/£180;Feb £103.49/£180;Mar 117.63/£160

Comments

• buxtonrabbitgreen
    Options
    Sounds as though you need to take a couple of week's holiday and get your excited DDs clearing out packing. (ps I had new windows put in so should last a good while before they need cleaning)
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • mae
    mae Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Boxes boxes and more boxes. Write the name in marker pen of each room on a box. Then the things you definatley want to take put in the box for the corresponding box/s. Then mark a box saying maybe charity shop/freecyle and or ebay and place the relevant things in these. Also mark one for the attic and garage (if there is one). This will sort out all the small stuff and can be done over time (I don't know how long you have before the move) by everytime you leave a room pick something up and place it in the right box before you now it there will be boxes ready full of stuff you REALLY need to take to the new house and they will be put straight in the right room. And you will have boxes ready to take to the tip/charity shop etc. Hope that helps.
  • mumoftwo
    mumoftwo Posts: 1,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Instead of seeing it as one massive job, see it in stages. Do it say: 1 hour a day (don't know how long you work) in the kids room for example. What Mae said, label boxes and away you go. Set a timer if you want and you will be amazed how much you can achieve in 1 hour, honest and you can be proud of yourself of what you have done.
  • debbiedeejay
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I feel totally useless at housework on the best of days but this is really worriying me.
    I may not be moving for 4-6 weeks should I start the box thing now?
    I love the idea of the boxes for freecycle/charity/ebay but would I not be tempted to dip in and take things out before they go???

Will have to start scouring work for boxes in fact I think I saw some advertised on freecycle the other day-am off to check to see they are still there...
    Crazy Clothes Challenge 2012 £57.20/£100,CCC 2013 £68.67/£100 ,CCC 2014 £94.32/£100
    *Frugal Living Challenge 2012, 2013, 2014*
    GC 2014 Jan £154.14/£180;Feb £103.49/£180;Mar 117.63/£160
  • mae
    mae Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I feel totally useless at housework on the best of days but this is really worriying me.
    I may not be moving for 4-6 weeks should I start the box thing now?
    I love the idea of the boxes for freecycle/charity/ebay but would I not be tempted to dip in and take things out before they go???

Will have to start scouring work for boxes in fact I think I saw some advertised on freecycle the other day-am off to check to see they are still there...

I find that house work is so much easier if I am ruthless with not keeping clutter or anything I do not use. Living minimal as possible helps me but it is up to you.
    They say if you don't use it or love it get rid of it, well they say something like that anyway, hopefully someone will post the correct saying :rotfl:

If you are already stressed about it and its not for 4-6 weeks then I would start now, it will mean living with boxes everywhere and a bare house but how good will you feel that you are gettign organised. Only leave the things out that you actually need to use for the next few weeks, pack everything that is just a belonging and not an essential for living if you see what I mean.

Baby steps as they stay and if you do a little a day it won't feel like a strain. Surprising what even 15 mins a day for 6 weeks could do to get you decluttered and packed up and organised ready for your new home.
  • csarinaknight
    Options
    Sorry but I chickened out of the packing and got the removers to do it, I went through the cupboards first and put in boxes anything I had not used for 12 months and either freecycled it, sold it on ebay or took it to the charity shop.

We downsized from a 2 bed house to a one bed apartment.....not easy.....but we made it..............
    September grocery budget........trying for £80, not sure if I will make it though!!!!! I certainly did not last month, lost track of the final bill. Will do better this month honest.

Tesco £57.13
    Petrol £10.00
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    de clutter before you pack,you dont want to be carrying stuff your going to throw when you get to new house.write on all boxes what room/whos room and whats in the box.dont pack the kettle,cos if it was me it would be the first thing id want other end
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • mocolo
    mocolo Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    Will have to start scouring work for boxes in fact I think I saw some advertised on freecycle the other day-am off to check to see they are still there...[/quote]

I used loads of free orange boxes from Mr.Ts they are really strong and the low heigth ones which are good for paperbacks. They do flatten them but if you ask they will keep some for you. I moved localy last year and blooming hated it. It is not too early at all- start packing up things that you don;t use regulary . You can also do a template for informing re new address and do a list of who needs to be notified and the relevant policy nos etc. Makes it easier. I also did envelopes all ready.
    Labelling boxes according to room very good idea and make a wee map of where the rooms are so the boxes can go stright to relevant rooms.

good luck,
    mocolo
  • Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Options
    I always pack the boxes for the rooms that I am going to not the rooms I am leaving. If that makes sense. Box in each room. ie living room would have cushions/ornaments/books etc that you intend to keep in the new living room. Nearer the day fold the curtains for that room and put on top. Seal and label. I also do this with clothes (labeled wardrobe etc) and kitchen stuff. Anything left over goes in boxes labeled To Store. These go in the loft/garage/understairs and if not opened by the time the new house is redecorated/sorted the boxes go to the charity shop/boot sale unopened (open after you get there) so reducing the temptation to keep the stuff.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i'd advise you to start asap. don't leave it til the last minute as it will overwhelm you.

get boxes from shops and supermarkets
    get your kids to help - they can sort through their own stuff. get them involved by letting them car boot their unwanted stuff for pocket money.

best way to declutter is 4 boxes labelled keep/ chuck/ charity, carboot, ebay/ mabye.

keep should only be stuff you really want and will use.
    mabye box could be reopened just before you move and if you didn't miss any of the contents then chuck.
    charity/carboot & ebay box - try selling it first and if it doesn't sell donate it. or if you don't have the time or inclination donate it straight away.

a decluttered room will make it much easier to tidy.
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport