Virgin CC how long to wait for acceptance/rejection

Options
Last Friday evening (13/01/17) I applied online for a Virgin Money CC - 0% purchase for 25 months. I used the credit card matcher here first and was given a 95% chance of success.

Last Saturday (14/01/17) I received an email thanking me for applying and that Virgin Money were considering my application. On Wednesday (18/01/17) I received another email:

"Your Virgin Money Credit Card application
We are writing to let you know that due to a high volume of applications it is taking us longer than we would like to process your application.
We are sorry for this delay, however we can confirm a decision on your application will be made shortly.
We will send you an email as soon as we have made our decision.
Thank you for your patience.
Yours sincerely
"

I just checked Experian and no credit searches have been done so far or at least not showing yet.

So 2 questions if I may.

1) Reasonably how long do members think it should be before I can expect a decision (acceptance/rejection) from Virgin?

2) My income is just under £20k (household is £35k), I have one other card (Capital One with £500 limit which is clear and in good standing) and have no other debts. So I am wondering what would the likely opeing credit limit be with Virgin?

Many thanks for any advice or insights members can give. :beer:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BarnetGirl wrote: »

1) Reasonably how long do members think it should be before I can expect a decision (acceptance/rejection) from Virgin?

I'd give it another week.
    2) My income is just under £20k (household is £35k), I have one other card (Capital One with £500 limit which is clear and in good standing) and have no other debts. So I am wondering what would the likely opeing credit limit be with Virgin?

Impossible to say. But more than £100 and less than £40k would be the right ballpark.
  • memberme
    memberme Posts: 213 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Depends as different for everyone.

I have just received my Virgin card with the same spec. My application was done the same way as yours and I got an immediate decision and an email confirmation with credit limit minutes later.

Card came in 5 days.

So their system works fine...it just depends on all the variables they have to check or show up on the credit refs
  • WillyWonga
    Options
    try to avoid applying for credit either loans or cards "outside of hours". Try and stick between 8am and 8pm. The computers will generally deal with applications between normal hours with a strtaight yes, no or maybe. With system upgrades and account maintenances then applications made outside normalish hours are stacked and sent for manual processing. They put the busy message up to stop people panicking thinking their application had been declined.
  • BarnetGirl
    BarnetGirl Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 20 January 2017 at 5:33PM
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies. :)

@zx81 - I will wait another week and see if I hear from VM. My guess is that now it is Friday afternoon the earliest I would hear rom them now is Monday anyway.

@memberme - As our specs are basically the same I will become hopeful of being accepted.

@WillyWonga - Yes I realised AFTER reading many posts on this forum after I had applied that I should not have applied 'outside of hours', not as I did later in the evening. Must admit that a delay of a week from application had me thinking I had been declined.

Two other things for anybody else willing to comment.

1) My Experian score is 984.

and the one that really puzzles me is

2) I have just tried the MSE card matcher just to see what other cards I might be eligable for should VM decline my application only to discover that now I am given a 0% chance of getting a VM card (last Friday I was given a 95% chance). Perhaps this is letting me know that I have been declined already, I do not know. Just have to wait for an email or letter to let me know.

If I have been declined is there any point applying for a different company's card? If so how long would members suggest I wait before doing so?

Again much appreciation to all who help. :beer:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Two other things for anybody else willing to comment.

1) My Experian score is 984.

That's lovely, but entirely meaningless. Sadly, you would probably have a higher score if you were bankrupt, which is just one reason why lenders don't use CRA scores.

2) I have just tried the MSE card matcher just to see what other cards I might be eligable for should VM decline my application only to discover that now I am given a 0% chance of getting a VM card. Perhaps this is letting me know that I have been declined already, I do not know. Just have to wait for an email or letter to let me know.

If I have been declined is there any point applying for a different company's card? If so how long would members suggest I wait before doing so?

The card matcher system can be a bit patchy. I wouldn't worry. It could also be saying 0% due to you having a live application.

If you get declined, I would try one more app somewhere else, then leave it for a few months.
  • BarnetGirl
    Options
    Thanks 'zx81', will do, but just keep my fingers crossed in the meantime. ;)
  • BlondBoy
    BlondBoy Posts: 186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I waited six weeks to hear from Virgin. Expected after that delay to get a 'thanks but no thanks' letter, but out of nowhere appeared a card with a healthy limit.

Just my experience, of course. But silence doesn't automatically mean a decline.
  • Marvelous2062
    Options
    I applied on Monday 16th Jan 2017 about Midday and received the same email stating that they were unable to give me an immediate decision. Yesterday 19/01/17 I got an email with a decision that I was accepted and got a £6000.00 credit limit. I am just waiting on the card now. Apparently my card was dispatched on Wednesday.

I can also see that they setup up the Direct Debit on my account.
  • BarnetGirl
    Options
    @Blond Boy - After 6 weeks I would have expected to already have a decission one way or the other, just goes to show I guess that patience was rewarded in your case. I just do not want to apply for another card when I think that by applying for another would affect the VM application.

@Marvelous2 - If I had read through the forum first I would have waited until last Monday 'in office hours' to apply, hindsight is a wonderful thing. :o

Congratulations on getting a quick and positive result though. :T

(This is a great forum, if only others on the net were like this. :beer:)
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,082 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Last Friday evening (13/01/17) I applied online for a Virgin Money CC - 0% purchase for 25 months. I used the credit card matcher here first and was given a 95% chance of success.

Last Saturday (14/01/17) I received an email thanking me for applying and that Virgin Money were considering my application. On Wednesday (18/01/17) I received another email:

"Your Virgin Money Credit Card application
    We are writing to let you know that due to a high volume of applications it is taking us longer than we would like to process your application.
    We are sorry for this delay, however we can confirm a decision on your application will be made shortly.
    We will send you an email as soon as we have made our decision.
    Thank you for your patience.
    Yours sincerely
    "

I just checked Experian and no credit searches have been done so far or at least not showing yet.

So 2 questions if I may.

Many thanks for any advice or insights members can give. :beer:

If it were me I would phone them. I had the same situation with MBNA a good while ago and I phoned them the next day and authorised the card there and then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure