Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 17, 6:32 PM
    • 1,097Posts
    • 5,884Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one
    • 13th Jan 17, 6:32 PM
    Cooking for one 13th Jan 17 at 6:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
Page 118
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Mar 17, 8:49 AM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    caronc
    Morning everyone
    Had a lovely time with my family last night and not too many leftovers. A portion of lasagne and approx 3 portions of the ragu. I do though have rather aa large tub of white sauce to portion up. I decided as I was making it, I'd just go for broke and make a massive pan. I'm not terribly good balance wise at standing and stirring so it made sense to make a batch. Unfortunately with these and the meat order coming this week (I would have left this a bit but part of it is my dad's birthday pressie (I know a strange gift but tbh these days he has everyone he needs and loves his food ) my freezers are going to be back to over full - still it will get used and I've now part got Easter dinner for the crowd covered I had hoped that some of the wee charlotte potato roasties would be LO but alas the gannets my guests scoffed them

On the yikes department my son and I were clearing up last night when a mouse bolted across the floor and behind the fridge so the traps have been looked out and set The joys of living in an old terraced cottage in an area that's notorious for it's mouse population, getting invaded happens every so often. It's been a mildish winter so that's probably why they are later appearing this year. ETA - two mice caught

Not sure what's one the menu today as I'm back to CFO, will get son sorted out and on his way and see what I fancy
    Last edited by caronc; 12-03-2017 at 9:38 AM.
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £131/£150
    April GC £0/£160
    • Willowx
    • By Willowx 12th Mar 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1,902 Posts
    • 4,495 Thanks
    Willowx
    Morning all, I've been eating oddly the last few days to say the least. I'm away from home and cafe portions are just too much, on Friday I had a cooked breakfast and that did me for the day, yesterday I had bubble and squeak with bacon and poached eggs and then in the evening had a half portion of chips (fast food style ones) and some chocolate. Not sure what I'll have today then back home on Monday.
    GC 2017: Yearly budget: £1,560 YTD: £504.53 Jan: £217.70 Feb: £208.39
    Grocery NSD: 39
    Reading Challenge 2017: 60 YTD: 10 books
    Walking Challenge 2017: 10,000 or more steps per day YTD: 53 days (mean:13,052)
    • karcher
    • By karcher 12th Mar 17, 10:08 AM
    • 844 Posts
    • 5,451 Thanks
    karcher
    Just scoffed the last 2 fish fingers in the last ciabatta roll with salad cream and the last quarter of a very large bag of crisps

Oh dear!!
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Mar 17, 10:34 AM
    • 57,618 Posts
    • 330,830 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Just scoffed the last 2 fish fingers in the last ciabatta roll with salad cream and the last quarter of a very large bag of crisps

Oh dear!!
    Originally posted by karcher
    That's good ... that'll keep you going until lunch then

I think I'll have the pasty - and I'll make a quick bubble/squeak. Then, for colour more than anything, I'll lob some beans in the general direction of the corner of the plate.

Blob of HP brown should finish the gastronomic delight

43p A1d1 pasties (pack of 3, £1.29) aren't foodie heaven, but they "fill a hole" as they say....
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 12-03-2017 at 10:41 AM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Mar 17, 10:35 AM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    caronc
    Morning all, I've been eating oddly the last few days to say the least. I'm away from home and cafe portions are just too much, on Friday I had a cooked breakfast and that did me for the day, yesterday I had bubble and squeak with bacon and poached eggs and then in the evening had a half portion of chips (fast food style ones) and some chocolate. Not sure what I'll have today then back home on Monday.
    Originally posted by Willowx
    Yes you can have too much of a good thing, after a few days of "away" eating I'm always glad to get back home for "normal" portioned food

Oh dear!!
    Ah but did you enjoy it? I'm just contemplating making brunch of LO lasagne and garlic bread
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £131/£150
    April GC £0/£160
    • karcher
    • By karcher 12th Mar 17, 10:40 AM
    • 844 Posts
    • 5,451 Thanks
    karcher

Ah but did you enjoy it? I'm just contemplating making brunch of LO lasagne and garlic bread
    Originally posted by caronc
    Sounds good to me

Yes I did, but it doesn't bode well for the rest of the day as I will probably now just keep eating
    Please excuse the occasional absence of capital letters in my posts. My left shift key seems to only work when if feels like it and i often cba to go back and edit
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 12th Mar 17, 11:51 AM
    • 11,885 Posts
    • 31,553 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning oneskis

Last night x4 fish fingers in x2 ciabatta rolls with lettuce and mayo and a sliced tomato on the side.

Where's our Nelski she appears to be MIA..hopefully having fun and being cooked for as well as not having to wash up

Just 2 cups of tea and some chocolate so far this morning..I'm really hungry though for some strange reason? I'll have a coffee and a think about food
    awww Karcher thanks for missing me

I don' t do washing up its a rule ...I have a machine that does that and it works hard for its living

So leftover curry has featured quite highly this week and and now thoroughly bored with it so it hit the freezer for a week or so till I can stand it again.

Last night I had a lovely caesar salad with bacon and some garlic bread. Twas just what I needed after curry week

Today I have had a mini pork pie, branston, cheese with salad and some baguette for lunch. Big lunch for me but I am travelling this afternoon for work so not sure what culinary delights will meet me at the hotel..some hotels don't even do proper stuff on sunday which I have fallen for a few times so at least I have had some decent nosh.

caronc hope you can sort your mickey problem out I would be 100 miles away by now

karcher fish fingers sandwiches are good for you ...think of all the nutrients
    • karcher
    • By karcher 12th Mar 17, 12:11 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 5,451 Thanks
    karcher
    Glad all is well Nelski.

Just as an aside, do you get paid overtime for travelling on a Sunday for work?

Years ago in an old job I had, I sometimes had to travel on a Sunday for a training week. It annoyed the hell out of me as I didn't get paid for my time but also because I went by train which always has a disrupted service on a Sunday so I spent hours travelling

Just eaten a 10 day OOD yoghurt...think I might have another in a minute!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Mar 17, 12:16 PM
    • 57,618 Posts
    • 330,830 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Ewwww... mind you, I'm sure yoghurt STARTS life being out of date... then it's made thicker and glooped into a pot ... to continue to fester.

I LOVED my lunch - except .... it was all compromises really. I made four "potato cakes" and didn't want to just serve/eat two and put two in the fridge/freezer, thereby creating leftovers... so I loaded the plate with them all. I chose carrots instead of beans and then kind of regretted that choice as beans are tastier.

So I'm utterly, utterly full .... and the meal had 2.25/10 in it.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 12th Mar 17, 12:24 PM
    • 11,885 Posts
    • 31,553 Thanks
    Nelski
    Glad all is well Nelski.

Just as an aside, do you get paid overtime for travelling on a Sunday for work?

Years ago in an old job I had, I sometimes had to travel on a Sunday for a training week. It annoyed the hell out of me as I didn't get paid for my time but also because I went by train which always has a disrupted service on a Sunday so I spent hours travelling

no K I'm self employed so it is a personal choice really ...to get there tomorrow morning at 8am for the course i would have to leave at 5am latest and quite honesty I don't do 5am by choice so I guess its a balance. That would mean me being up at 4am too to get ready. I loath sunday travelling I really do it wrecks the weekend but I think I loath getting up at 4 even more
    • karcher
    • By karcher 12th Mar 17, 12:27 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 5,451 Thanks
    karcher
    no K I'm self employed so it is a personal choice really ...to get there tomorrow morning at 8am for the course i would have to leave at 5am latest and quite honesty I don't do 5am by choice so I guess its a balance. That would mean me being up at 4am too to get ready. I loath sunday travelling I really do it wrecks the weekend but I think I loath getting up at 4 even more
    Originally posted by Nelski
    In that case I agree, travelling today is preferable to a 4am start!
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Mar 17, 1:45 PM
    • 12,010 Posts
    • 32,738 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Lunch a hodgepodge. A bowl of the last of the Oatly "creme fraiche", some yogurt, some stewed rhubarb, 2 easypeeler oranges, bit of Ch*cshot chocolate sauce, cashews, scattering of bee pollen. Followed by couple of slices of sourdough bread.

Dinner - got a wild garlic tofu "steak" type thing lined-up (an experiment as to whether I'll like it or no), baked potato, I'll have some roasted vegetables with it (got some outer leaves of cauliflower and an odd bit of courgette to use up and guess I'll probably chuck some onions, garlic and carrots in with that). Fruit if I'm still hungry. Topped off with glass of rice milk to fill the gaps if I'm still hungry.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 12th Mar 17, 1:47 PM
    • 57,618 Posts
    • 330,830 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ... scattering of bee pollen...
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Now you're just making things up... to check we're reading!
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Mar 17, 1:54 PM
    • 12,010 Posts
    • 32,738 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Now you're just making things up... to check we're reading!
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Nope...you can buy it in packets and I duly did so some time back. Just using up the last of it. Dont know that I'll buy any more though.

I do grin to myself sometimes thinking "Wonder what PN will make of that...." - but mine isnt the most conventional way of eating and I do experiment widely....

Can't think why friends automatically turn to me when they are wondering what some food or other is and ask me what it's like......but I can probably tell them...
    • Farway
    • By Farway 12th Mar 17, 2:40 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 4,595 Thanks
    Farway
    Afternoon folks, now had to search for "bee pollen", hmm, not sure I would bother, plus thinking of all those poor bees having their pollen balls nicked after a hard days work

Yestrday was the chicken & leek pie thingy with own freah veg, finishe dup with a very full plate & belly in the end

However this morning, despite it being just the morning for a lie in, dank & raining, I woke early and was up about early as well. I fancied a Full English by then, but only if someone else was making it, so settled for a fried egg sarnie instead

It was then Morrie mooch time, not much luck there, did find some YS streaky, which then altered my planned lunch of cheese / tom baguette to grilled bacon & tom + mayo baguette

I did get some cream crackers from Morrison's after reading on hear and just fancying some, now I can indulge, until they inevitably go soggy as mine seem to, despite in a tin, obviously I do not eat enough of them

At last the YS mac cheese from Lidl on Friday will be nuked for tonight's meal, that is the plan so far anyway

I of course have a pineapple staring at me every time I pass the fruit bowl, I keep tugging it's leaves, not ripe yet, but when it is I will have to decide if a jumbo fruit salad is a goer, should I splash out on clotted cream maybe? Or just custard like the pleb I am?

Rain has stopped now day is nearly over, as it does.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Mar 17, 4:08 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    caronc
    Afternoon everyone

moneyistooshorttomention, I consider myself a pretty adventurous eater but have never tried nor for that came across bee pollen

Farway, glad you are keeping things up on the pie front

Nelski, hope your journey and hotel are both ok. I'd be travelling today to if it was that or a very early start

LO lasagne & garlic bread was lovely earlier, there is a tiny bit of lasagne left not worth keeping or freezing so pooch will be happy tomorrow

I've taken a piece of steak out of the freezer so braised steak with onion and mushroom gravy and the last of the root veg mash from the freezer later. It's been a pretty damp and chilly day here so that should hit the spot and also feel's "Sunday dinner" ish as well

I had a noodle through the fridge and I've some fresh bits needing used in the next few days so I'm going do a loose plan so they get used up and not wasted. I really don't want to end up freezing veg until see how much if any space I have after the meat order arrives.

Son has headed back to Newcastle with good wad of the white sauce for his freezer, he loves macaroni cheese and other pasta bake type dishes so it be a quick couple of meals for him as he has a couple of late finishes at work this week as he's off on Friday for more dental work so back here late on Thursday night.
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £131/£150
    April GC £0/£160
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Mar 17, 4:25 PM
    • 12,010 Posts
    • 32,738 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Think I got that bee pollen in a health food shop back in Home City - which just goes to show how long I've had it and been working my way very slowly through it. About a teaspoon worth to go and that will be it finished. Waste not want not...and hence the cauliflower outer leaves currently cooking in the oven.

Changed plan from baked potatoes to spicy potato wedges.

Didnt feel active enough to add other veggies in with my cauliflower and courgette - as I decided to take advantage of some sun again at last and do some weeding in garden.

Have carefully removed all weeds from some of it now - except for wintercress? bittercress? (cant remember which of those two names it has - but I do remember it's a freeby substitute for watercress and hence I carefully don't pull that up). I'm leaving it there to pick bits of it to put in salads. Wish I could persuade myself I like dandelions - but to date have only persuaded myself into using younger dandelion leaves to make dandelion "crisps" (ie same way as making kale crisps - but using dandelion leaves instead). Darn - I did forget that one - and have now pulled apart a lot of those dandelions
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Mar 17, 4:33 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    caronc
    Think I got that bee pollen in a health food shop back in Home City - which just goes to show how long I've had it and been working my way very slowly through it. About a teaspoon worth to go and that will be it finished. Waste not want not...and hence the cauliflower outer leaves currently cooking in the oven.

Changed plan from baked potatoes to spicy potato wedges.

Didnt feel active enough to add other veggies in with my cauliflower and courgette - as I decided to take advantage of some sun again at last and do some weeding in garden.

Have carefully removed all weeds from some of it now - except for wintercress? bittercress? (cant remember which of those two names it has - but I do remember it's a freeby substitute for watercress and hence I carefully don't pull that up). I'm leaving it there to pick bits of it to put in salads. Wish I could persuade myself I like dandelions - but to date have only persuaded myself into using younger dandelion leaves to make dandelion "crisps" (ie same way as making kale crisps - but using dandelion leaves instead). Darn - I did forget that one - and have now pulled apart a lot of those dandelions
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Let me know how many dandelions you'd like and I'll post you some LOL They are the bane of my life as they grow between my slabs and due to poochy I'm limited in what I can use to get shot of them. When the boys were small we used to have a guinea pig, a rabbit and a hamster they all went nuts for the leaves and unopened flowers. The wild rabbits round here obviously have too much choice as they don't bother with them
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £131/£150
    April GC £0/£160
    • kittie
    • By kittie 12th Mar 17, 4:58 PM
    • 10,390 Posts
    • 53,408 Thanks
    kittie
    tonight
    frozen mackerel to foil to oven
    frozen parsnips to oven
    prepared green veg to pan
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Mar 17, 5:43 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    caronc
    tonight
    frozen mackerel to foil to oven
    frozen parsnips to oven
    prepared green veg to pan
    Originally posted by kittie
    Sorted mine is simple too, 1 pan and a nuke LOL
    Feb GC £122/£100
    Mar GC £131/£150
    April GC £0/£160
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,425Posts Today

9,091Users online

Martin's Twitter