Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misterzim
    • By misterzim 13th Dec 16, 8:53 AM
    • 53Posts
    • 84Thanks
    misterzim
    Another year on and the company tradition is still alive!
    • 13th Dec 16, 8:53 AM
    Another year on and the company tradition is still alive! 13th Dec 16 at 8:53 AM
    So, another Christmas is arriving and my company tradition of contributing money towards gifts for our Directors is still going strong!!

Here is the email that went round the company yesterday:

Dear All

As we near Christmas and hopefully begin to feel full of Festive Cheer, I thought it may be appropriate to let you all know that, following with (company name removed) tradition, we will again be having a Christmas Collection for our company Directors

Each year staff kindly donate towards a gift to be given to each director, by way of a “thank you” for having steered the company forward and ensuring we continue to grow the business. We hope to be able to present the gifts to the Directors at the end of the Christmas Raffle on Wednesday 21 December

(Name removed) or myself will be “doing the rounds” during this week, for all those who would like to make a donation to the collection – or feel free to come and see us at our desks!

Thank you in advance for your generosity and please may I ask that you let others know who may not have access to emails

Kind regards

So there you have it, utter tripe, especially as the company haven't progressed in the last year, or last 2 years for that matter!!

If any company Directors out there have an opinion on this I'd love to hear it (and from others too!).

I will not be donating my money.

Page 4
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 6th Dec 17, 8:39 PM
    • 4,536 Posts
    • 6,116 Thanks
    74jax
    I like the update.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • athensgeorgia
    • By athensgeorgia 7th Dec 17, 10:50 AM
    • 680 Posts
    • 578 Thanks
    athensgeorgia
    I like the update.
    Originally posted by 74jax
    I do too. I found this quite entertaining last year just from the blatant cheek of it. Surely when people stop contributing the tradition will stop.

Do any other businesses encourage their staff to donate to the directors? All the places I've worked it's the other way around. The directors gift us something as a thank you for growing their business.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 7th Dec 17, 11:26 AM
    • 5,776 Posts
    • 28,293 Thanks
    bugslet
    I wouldn't dream of asking my staff to cough up and if I was the OP, I'd be telling them to do one.

I get my staff a bottle/crate of their choice and a cash bonus., which is in their bank before xmas.

One or two of the staff get me a small token gift, which is very much appreciated, but certainly not expected.
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 7th Dec 17, 12:40 PM
    • 5,670 Posts
    • 6,470 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    We get a Christmas bonus, which is around £700, so not to be sniffed at - although it annoys many staff that the staff members who do naff all throughout the year receive the same share!

The Directors, as far as I'm aware, don't ask for a gift, it's something the MDs wife organised many moons ago and it's just stuck.

My whole office and plenty of other staff, including a new manager, think its ridiculous. Some of these same people feel that they have to pay up so as not to look tight or made to feel guilty by the MDs wife!
    Originally posted by misterzim
    Its not right what is happening but IMO you need to just accept it, you're investing £10 for a £700 bonus....
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 7th Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    • 15,825 Posts
    • 9,121 Thanks
    motorguy
    Its not right what is happening but IMO you need to just accept it, you're investing £10 for a £700 bonus....
    Originally posted by Takeaway_Addict
    Thats probably how i'd be looking at it too.

Removing the christmas "gift" could be a two way street...
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 7th Dec 17, 1:57 PM
    • 5,671 Posts
    • 2,609 Thanks
    LeeUK
    SO did you actually chip in to the directors collection last year then?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

458Posts Today

2,838Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin