Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 15th Nov 16, 1:14 PM
    • 182Posts
    • 426Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Aim to get mortgage down before increasing again
    • 15th Nov 16, 1:14 PM
    Aim to get mortgage down before increasing again 15th Nov 16 at 1:14 PM
    Hiya I had joined years back but in the last year been reading most of the diaries re trying to get your mortgage. I have been overpaying the mortgage for the last ten years and managed to overpay over £20k. I want to note my progress as trying to get mortgage down as much as possible before borrowing more money for a 2 Storey extension.

We moved into our 3 bed detached 6years ago and had a mortgage of roughly £110 but to date I have managed to get this down to £60450 approx. I am overpaying £200 per month as this is ok does not affect family life otherwise husband would say something but he is happy that I am doing this. Trying to continue to put more money into our savings so that we have some money to contribute to the extension cost as well as trying to get the mortgage down to £58k or lower.

I'm 42 with Hubble 39 and 2 kids 9 and nearly 5. We are awaiting to hear if we have planning for the rear extension and then will have to see if passed by building control afterwards and then approach our mortgage lender to see if they will allow us extra borrowing of roughly £60k. This will take up up to a higher figure than I would like but I will plod along and see how it goes,

We are on a 5yr fixed which we took out last June at a rate of 2.34%.

Been doing Tilly tally every Sunday and it all adds up and will transfer the extra money to the mortgage and see what else I can do to bring it down before we have to increase.

Will try to keep you posted.
Page 7
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 2nd Dec 17, 7:45 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well back garden was finished yesterday so they could use the digger elsewhere. Only a few things to be done on outside and a few inside. Spoke to the builder and he is aware of these and will get them done he says.

Painter due to start on Monday for 2 weeks to do nearly the whole house so house will have paint fumes. Ok for first week but the following week will need to try to empty our bedroom which has lots of furniture in it from kids rooms etc since we started on the journey.

Got a day off work on Wednesday and want to get most of the Xmas present bought and then I can maybe think if hubbie gets anything this year.

Need to take son to football and then daughter to gymnastics and try to get son birthday cake for dinner out on Sunday. Need to try to tidy up a few areas in the house so clear for painter as well as ironing- the joys.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 6th Dec 17, 6:40 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    The groundworkers is delaying the slabs at the back to the same level at the weekend.

Lots of the snagging was finished up today so hopefully the builder will send in the completion paperwork to the council so he gets the last of his money Nd only a few jobs left if comes back after painting work done.

Painting coming on nicely and getting there. Kitchen is due mostly so this weekend we are putting up the smaller tree Inthe kitchen which will be the kids tree and keep the main tree in the living room but it will only be up for 2 weeks or so as it will need to go up after carpet is laid on 18th Dec.
    Tried to get the rest of my Xmas shopping done today whilst off work - still got to get part of a present for my mum and dad to get but happy with what I purchased today. Back to work tomorrow. Well it's only 8 more days of work for me until Xmas.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 10th Dec 17, 8:59 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Kids stayed at man's and papas last night so we went out for a pre theatre lunch in a nice Italian restaurant then back to the house to wrap up presents. all done and put away for big man in red suit to deliver. Got a TV for DD and an aerial but it does not work so need to take back and may have to get the fire stick so DD can use her TV in her new room next year.

Going to put up the smaller tree today as well as some Christmas stickers on the windows for now until some decorations can go up.

Slabs did not get done yesterday as the temperature was too low so they are frozen down. Hopes to get this done if temperature rises slightly. Painter due back tomorrow so we have get living room ready is put all furniture in he middle so he can do walls etc. All stuff back in the cupboards etc and new tumble dryer in place as well as wee chest freezer in kitchen cupboard - it will be great not having to go out to the hut for extra food as this was where the old freezer was.

Coming together - need to when find out when DS furniture will be ready for collection as we want to put it together next weekend after carpet down and try to get him in his new room before Xmas. It will be a job moving all stuff including all the toys there.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

2,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin