Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 15th Nov 16, 1:14 PM
    • 183Posts
    • 427Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Aim to get mortgage down before increasing again
    • 15th Nov 16, 1:14 PM
    Aim to get mortgage down before increasing again 15th Nov 16 at 1:14 PM
    Hiya I had joined years back but in the last year been reading most of the diaries re trying to get your mortgage. I have been overpaying the mortgage for the last ten years and managed to overpay over £20k. I want to note my progress as trying to get mortgage down as much as possible before borrowing more money for a 2 Storey extension.

We moved into our 3 bed detached 6years ago and had a mortgage of roughly £110 but to date I have managed to get this down to £60450 approx. I am overpaying £200 per month as this is ok does not affect family life otherwise husband would say something but he is happy that I am doing this. Trying to continue to put more money into our savings so that we have some money to contribute to the extension cost as well as trying to get the mortgage down to £58k or lower.

I'm 42 with Hubble 39 and 2 kids 9 and nearly 5. We are awaiting to hear if we have planning for the rear extension and then will have to see if passed by building control afterwards and then approach our mortgage lender to see if they will allow us extra borrowing of roughly £60k. This will take up up to a higher figure than I would like but I will plod along and see how it goes,

We are on a 5yr fixed which we took out last June at a rate of 2.34%.

Been doing Tilly tally every Sunday and it all adds up and will transfer the extra money to the mortgage and see what else I can do to bring it down before we have to increase.

Will try to keep you posted.
Page 6
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 12th Oct 17, 5:42 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Had meeting with tiler and builder last night. Lots of problem arose today which my dad and Hubble dealt with and it resolved but at a small extra cost. Roof was due to go on Friday but I believe it's now delayed until Monday. Builder has to form the ensuite room and get it knitted out ready for the tiler to do his work on Wednesday so that they can fit the shower etc later that week and then we can use this and they can demolish the old bathroom.

Saturday after kids have their activities in the morning they are going to friends for a bit whilst we run about tile shop and the bathroom shop to pay and get the order ready for the builder to pick up. On Sunday will need to empty daughter room and go to get some stuff from Screwfix. It's going to be a hectic weekend and spending lots of money.
    • Jessy103
    • By Jessy103 13th Oct 17, 10:40 AM
    • 475 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    Jessy103
    Good luck for the weekend and hope it's all finished soon for you!
    Original Mortgage Amount 2007 - £87,310.50
    Mortgage Amount Oct 2017 - £61,990.00
    Overpayment Target for 2017 - £5,000 /£6746.24
    Jan - £873.26 Feb - £185.38 March - £269.07 April - £193.66 May - £467.64 June - £407.79 July - £849.96 August - £255.11 September - £177.22 October - £381.61 November - £50 December - £2635.54
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 15th Oct 17, 9:14 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Roof trusses arrived on Friday but they are too short so need to get new ones i believe Tuesday. Tiler has been put off this Wednesday as roof may not be on to next week.

Spent lots of money yesterday on tiles and bathroom stuff. Also managed to look at lighting we may wish in bedrooms etc and we see if the kids like them yesterday before we buy them later in the week. Going to screwfix today to get an electric shower.

We have been advised that the build maybe finished mid November - this was before some delays so hopefully still done in November.

Emptying daughter's room and someone is coming to buy her big dolls house tonight.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 18th Oct 17, 9:50 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Roof trusses arrived and are on the house with the sheeting. The roofers ha e started to replace the old house tiles and tomorrow will do the new part of the house.

Went to howden's and got a good deal on our kitchen. Trying to sort out when they can come out to check the sizes and check the kitchen layout is ok. Spent more money paying for the kitchen and several radiators as we wanted a tall fancy radiator for the new kitchen. It's coming together.

Son put too much toilet paper down the toilet yesterday so it was blocked and the water rising. By the time I walked to the kitchen to get a plugger to fix it. The water had flooded o. The floor. It was fixed and mopped up the water with old towels due to be washed. Son was very sorry about it but these things happen.

Kids are off school this week so we are going to get so hair cut in the morning and then going to a trampoline place in the afternoon where we will meet aunt and 3 nephews.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 27th Oct 17, 8:37 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Things moving on fast as they believe it will be finished mid November. Main bathroom is not in use and being taken out today. Part of kitchen is being demolished next week so no cooker so they can put in side door. Can see it taking shape but the next week to 2)days are going to be stressful. Roll on Christmas where we may have the house more organised and maybe if lucky rooms switched round.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 28th Oct 17, 11:17 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Head pickled with everything.

Electrician is at house doing work and did walk about for light switch and plug points.

Tonight is hubbie birthday dinner with family and friends. Got Dr who TARDIS cake and going to get balloons soon. It's officially his birthday on Tuesday when he is 40th. If family wish tocome back to house afterwards it's fine but chaos.

New ensuite is looking great it has shower cubicle and is tiles. Still to be kitted out but looks good.

Daughter is sharing room with brother and asked if she wishes back to her own room but a bit - lots of work done there. No. Staying with brother in the boxroom until new room is sorted.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 4th Nov 17, 11:27 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Things are hectic - lots of boxes in living room and only got our packed out bedroom and sons box room to live in. We are without kitchen so got a few microwave meals sorted on plastic plates but getting there.

They are putting in the side door at the moment and kitchen fitter is due on Monday and they think he will be finished in a week the the guys are back to do finishings and the back garden.

Been advised that we should get the new plaster painted before putting up new radiators but painter not coming until December so we have to do a thin coat of paint so plumber can put on new radiators.

Got new boiler installed yesterday and need to try to figure how to use the remote control for heating as it's a dial - would have preferred buttons.

It's coming together but I keep on thinking how it will be all decorated and carpets etc. Fingers crossed we can get downstairs sorted for christmas and then deal with upstairs. Can't d en think about Christmas but will need to do this soon.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 7th Nov 17, 2:52 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well we sort of moved out of the house on Saturday with friends down the road. Was due to go back but think we will be staying the rest of the week. Go to the house at night to get new clothes for school and work.

The builder has lots of trades in today to get on with it this week and hopes to finish next week so talking with him. He wanted to know when our painter would be coming as they would come back to do doors etc but painter not coming until 4th Dec.

Trying to get an idea of flooring to try to match up the proper oak flooring in the lounge which we part carpeted when we moved in. We will be carpeting all of this but need the kitchen level to be the same as the lounge at the new doors.its a minefield but need to go to see what hubbie and me like - he likes to say his opinion.

Kids very happy with staying with friends and it's probably for the best. The friends are doing a garage conversion with our builder and he starts next week - the joys.

Ordered main present for son so it's a start.

Really missing my TV programmes which are recorded and not had a chance to view since not in the house at the moment.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 7th Nov 17, 2:55 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Need to find out what order the painter is doing the painting so can maybe arrange for kitchen flooring and upstairs new bedrooms to be carpets and finger crossed the living room before Christmas. We will be discussing this soon.

Had a great night out at fireworks display on Saturday.

Back to busy work tomorrow - roll on Saturday as we are going out to dinner with friends we are staying with for hubbie birthday as they were not able to make to the last dinner.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 7th Nov 17, 2:57 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Forgot to mention that went to the dentist and she investigated a tooth but had to get an extraction last Monday. Not able to get full tooth out so I'm being referred to a clinic for this. Mouth is still throbbing when not busy but stopped the painkillers.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 10th Nov 17, 1:42 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Still staying with friends but going to the house every morning to put off the alarm, leave the key for the builders and also at night to put this on and collect any clothes we all need for the next day. Builder keeping on saying he feels bad we have moved out but its for the best.

Kitchen is fully fitted and electrician, plumber and plasterer are due in today and monday to do their jobs. We have a snagging list to discuss with the builder. Kitchen fitter is coming back to fit the engineering wood floor which we have to buy this weekend and he will fit this but the previous house owners put down plywood before the flooring so we will have match this so the floor is level from one room to the room - it is fairly pricey but needs must and cant scrimp on this. Still got garden stuff to do as well so I think it will be few more weeks but time will tell.

Me and hubbie with friends had a discussion as we have to put in 3 steps from the new side door which were not on the drawings but need this due to the sloping back garden. I did not like the solution the builder and architect came up with. The architect has done another option and this has been forwarded to us and the builder - I really like this and will need to find out what the cost implications are for steps with a wee platform at the top.

Painter is scheduled to come 4th December so will need to see if I can organise for carpets maybe to be put down mid December prior to christmas. I am concerned that lots of trades are already fully booked up until christmas since folk do up their house this time of year.

Tonight going to veg a bit with a bottle of wine from the dusty cupboard shelf. Off out for dinner us 4 and the friends we are staying with a late birthday dinner - looking forward to this.
    Last edited by Schoolworker; 10-11-2017 at 1:45 PM.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 12th Nov 17, 8:02 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Plumber has put in all radiators etc yesterday do heating will be on to warm up the house and allow plaster to dry. Not had heating in the new part of the house all this time. Not happy about some of the electrician work so will need to speak to the builder tomorrow re this.

Going down to the house to try to clean up our new bedroom and bathrooms etc so we can think about going back to the house mid week or Friday at the latest. Friends had boxes of toys in their garage for us but we need to take these back to the house as they have cleared their garage for a conversion. And they are in the upper hall but a box fell onto friends foot so they are being moving once we clear the empty bedroom.

I believe the plasterers are due in today to do part kitchen area and one of our original bedroom which had to be altered. I think Monday and Tuesday try to empty boxes etc in the living room and try to dust do we can move back since friends we are staying with are replacing some windows and work being done so I think it time to move back and put up with it.

Pricing up flooring for the kitchen and it very pricey but it should last a long time I hope. Joiner who will fit is very good and he fitted the kitchen so feel need to go with his price and see what the price of the engineering oak flooring will be for 41m sq.

Heading out in while as son going to a soft play party and daughter and hubbie going to remembrance parade today.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 14th Nov 17, 2:32 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well we moved back home on Sunday night after dinner so still living in 2 bedrooms and got a kitchen to partially use and bathrooms. Living room still got lots of boxes etc in it. Will unpack these once kitchen floor is down and most trades are away offsite which will be next week.

Joiner putting on door frames and doors etc the now whilst the rough sat is being done outside. Kitchen floor to be done Saturday and Sunday. Lucky we are out most of Saturday. Painter coming on Saturday to see the job and what's is being done before heading out to a kids party.

Just ordered a tumble dryer and chest freezer for the house but delivery not until 4th December after the floor is laid. Garden works still in negotiating and await a few costs for extras for our builder. Fingers crossed it wil
    It be finished end November fully including new garden area,

Only just thinking about Christmas but not done anything about it as nowhere to store so it's going to be a mad dash this year
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 14th Nov 17, 2:32 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Just made an overpayment of £80 for November today - quite pleased to do this even though spendiNg lots of money elsewhere.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 18th Nov 17, 8:27 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    The finishing joiner has done the kitchen and new flooring and looks great. Finished today. Only a few snagging and electrician due on Monday - so need to get the new lights into the house.

Painter came round to have a look and we have to decide on colours for some rooms and let him know next week. He says it will be done in 2 weeks and awaiting a price for this but it needs done. Need to go and look for carpets etc tomorrow to try to decide the colour we want for the living room.

Garden is being started on Monday and they think they can do this in a week. Need to sort out a few snagging to be done thereafter but it good so far.

Had a problem with some radiators not heating up but it was fixed Friday night and seems to be behaving.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 19th Nov 17, 9:08 AM
    • 5,389 Posts
    • 37,055 Thanks
    CathT
    Wow I felt exhausted reading your diary! Sorry to hear you had so many delays and let downs wth builders but it looks like it's all coming together now. My fb time hop showed this time last year they started the brickwork but it wasn't completed until April and we we weren't watertight over the Christmas period.

Impressive overpayments too whilst dealing with the extension and resulting chaos. Is the work almost completed now?
    Dec 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,467
    part 2 - £45,985
    Total - £125,449
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 20th Nov 17, 6:14 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Yes work nearing completion. There is a list of snagging to be done - some to be done over next 2 weeks before painter is due. Electrician has done some of his list but due back.

The builder couldnt start to do the garden as they need to use the digger and was raining heavy most of last night and this morning. They have to dig out and put in a drain and then we have decided to have a bit of decking going from the side door to back patio doors so all level. And other stuff.
    I'm surprised as it's been 8 weeks tomorrow since they have started and it has been fairly quick and these builders are good - been asked to review them. Our friends are using them the now to do their garage conversion .

We bought carpets for 2 bedrooms and stairs and they will be fitted on 15th Dec. Need to decide what colour to do the living room so we can order the carpet on Saturday to be fitted on18th Dec.

Tomorrow got wardrobes guy out as well carpet guy to measure up but I think wardrobes will not be built until after Christmas. Fingers crossed we can move son into new room before Christmas then over the holidays maybe move us and daughter into our new rooms.

Took extra flooring back to shop so got a credit - hurrah!!!

I'll be glad when I can relax in 2018 hopefully.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 23rd Nov 17, 9:38 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Plasterers were in today to do 3 small jobs and electrican due in tomorrow to finish his job and fill in his paperwork for the completion to be signed off by the council no doubt Inthe new year.

Had a half day holiday yesterday to go and try to get Xmas presents for folk. Got 4 or 5 so it's a start since no ember is nearing the end. Santa presents nearly all done apart from bits and pieces.

Been busy trying to chase up raffle prizes for the he kids school Xmas fayre since I'm on the PTA so it's been busy. Need to decide on colours for the living room so we can order the carpet on Saturday.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 25th Nov 17, 7:06 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Well the guys started the decking today and mostly done but need to come back as short of wood and need to do the drain with stones etc and a small section of stones until we get money to get a new hut and relocate this so that we can get grass either real or artificial for the kids but it may happen next year if we get the money together.

I feel as if spending lots of money between stuff for the house as well as Christmas. Ordered our living room, which I am. Carpet which was pricey and this will be fitted on 18th December so need to decide on colour on the wall - saw some curtains which will be nice for the bedrooms and living room. Had to buy a new hoover as ours stopped working after hoovering up building gravel etc.

Need to go to order the new bedroom furniture as it's about 10 days delivery and we can set up son's room after carpet is fitted on 15th December. Going to order on Monday.
    • Schoolworker
    • By Schoolworker 28th Nov 17, 6:10 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Schoolworker
    Made an overpayment of £60 today.

Spent more money today and yesterday being deposit for our new built in wardrobes which will be done in January. Also bought curtains for the living room so we know the colour to get it painted now.
    Also ordered furniture for son and a dressing table for daughter's Room which hopefully we will collect in 7-10days time and erected once carpet is laid in bedroom.

Back garden not moved on since Saturday - drain and step and side section still to be done as well as snagging list which we have sent to the builder. It is getting shorter but would love it all signed off in the next few weeks - time will tell.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

1,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin