PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Planning Portal Elevations (Planning Permission) New Build

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone could help.
My partner an I are in the process of buying a New Build house (H2B scheme).
It is an end of terrace house. On the 1st floor bathroom there is no window, but there is a window shown on the elevation planning drawings and on the sales brochure. There is a window installed in the bathroom in the identical house at the other side of the terrace. Clearly, I understand that there would not be a window if it was a mid-terrace.

Please could someone help me to establish if we 'have a leg to stand on' in proving that is a mistake made by the developers? We have highlighted this issue to the conveyancing team working for us and the local council who issued the planning permission for the development.

Kind regards,

Katie

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It should be built in accordance with the approved drawings. If it's already built then I expect the developer will ask the planners to confirm they're happy with it as built.
  • Cash-Cows
    Cash-Cows Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You don't need a conveyancer to check plans. Get the plans from the council along with the decision notice and check yourself. In fact I would be checking every aspect of the planning permission including making sure all conditions have been discharged.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The local council won't care if there's a window missing. Not mich point having a conversation with them.

However, there is no reason at all why a house cannot have an obscure glass window in a side elevation, so I'd go for it if I were you. It's just not built according to the developer's own plan.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Fuzzyness
    Fuzzyness Posts: 635 Forumite
    seems odd that the builder didnt put a window in a bathroom if its shown on the approved plans. is it the main bathroom for the house or an en-suite?

how far down the process are you with buying the house? can you not state that you only want to proceed if they put the window in as per the approved plans?
  • davidmcn
    Fuzzyness wrote: »
    can you not state that you only want to proceed if they put the window in as per the approved plans?
    I think it's unlikely that they'll go back and put a window in. Like I said, if you want the build and the planning to correspond, easiest solution is for the planners to vary the consent.

If the OP has already exchanged and the contract says something unusually specific about what the design is to be then they might have a case to demand that the window is added. But usually there is quite a bit of leeway for variations.
  • davidmcn wrote: »
    I think it's unlikely that they'll go back and put a window in. Like I said, if you want the build and the planning to correspond, easiest solution is for the planners to vary the consent.

the OP says the approved plans have the window on them but now its been built the builder hasn't put a window in. no need to change the planning permission or the approved plan - its the house that needs changing and i agree its unlikely that they would go back and put a window in now. there wouldn't be anything stopping the purchaser putting one in in the future but why would you buy a new house that needed this doing to it?
  • We bought a new build some years ago where a window got forgotten.

It was a small local builder and he wanted to complete so basically said 'you promise to exchange by such and such and we will go back and install the window'.

We were perfectly happy with that so they went back. It was all done in less than a day and there was absolutely nothing to suggest that the window hadn't been there since day one - it was an excellent job, perfectly matched with all the others.

[This was in a garage though. In a bathroom there will be internal decoration to fix up too. Should not be too difficult though]

I guess it depends how keen the builder is to complete the sale quickly.
  • Ktizzle
    Ktizzle Posts: 10 Forumite
    Thanks guys.
    Our solicitor has said that it is best that we approach the developers prior to completion and highlight the issue, as they "may" be able to resolve by putting a window in, or discounting the asking price - neither of those seem likely to me as getting anything out of the developers is harder than getting blood from a stone!

I have e-mailed NHBC, but they are unable to help as we are not yet the legal owners of the property and advised to contact the council and the developers as this is a contractual issue.

Surely, if they had forgotten to put a window in a bedroom we would have a case - but as it is the bathroom - they can get away with saying that suitable ventilation is in place. Hmm... How do we know if it is really suitable?

Many thanks for your help and I will keep you all posted.
  • Ktizzle
    Ktizzle Posts: 10 Forumite
    We are still quite a way off, our solicitor has begun the searches and we have a target exchange date of 28th October.
    Many thanks
  • davidmcn
    Ktizzle wrote: »
    but as it is the bathroom - they can get away with saying that suitable ventilation is in place. Hmm... How do we know if it is really suitable?
    In the same way that you know whether everything else in the house meets building regulations. I think these days they need to have a fan anyway even if there is a window?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure