Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 17th Oct 16, 4:46 PM
    • 5,816Posts
    • 10,409Thanks
    GlasweJen
    0 WOW
    BA flight change, where do I stand?
    • 17th Oct 16, 4:46 PM
    0 WOW
    BA flight change, where do I stand? 17th Oct 16 at 4:46 PM
    We booked flights direct through BA. The original flight was departing at 07:55 from GLA to LHR terminal 5 then leaving LHR terminal 3 90 minutes later to LAS.

The second leg has now changed and we will depart from LHR at 15:50.

I'd rather hang myself than spend upward of 6 hours stuck in Heathrow. I've contacted BA and asked them to change us onto a 12:15 flight from LHR to LAS that was showing on sky scanner but we were told that flight doesn't exist. I then asked them to change the GLA-LHR flight to the later one at 9:50 which although isn't ideal as we would rather be in Vegas at least we have 2 hours less time in Heathrow but they refused.

Is there anything I can do?

ETA the flight date is 25/03/17
    Last edited by GlasweJen; 17-10-2016 at 4:47 PM. Reason: Adding info
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
Page 1
    • photome
    • By photome 17th Oct 16, 5:19 PM
    • 12,000 Posts
    • 7,515 Thanks
    photome
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:19 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:19 PM
    according to the BA website there is only the 1550 direct flight that day all the others are connecting flights

surprised they wont let you change to the later flight from Glasgow
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 17th Oct 16, 5:23 PM
    • 34,050 Posts
    • 142,348 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:23 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:23 PM
    Your minimum connection time is 90 minutes, so if one or other flight moved the wrong way by just 5 minutes it would be an illegal connection and hence the rebooking.

The 12.15 flight may be operated by American Airlines rather than BA.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 17th Oct 16, 5:29 PM
    • 5,816 Posts
    • 10,409 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:29 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:29 PM
    I wouldn't mind, I've even been looking at options flying out of Edinburgh or moving to the day before. 6.5 hours in Heathrow is not how I want to start my honeymoon! BA are completely unsympathetic, if I try to book now it's giving me the 9:50 out of Glasgow as an option then flagging up that it's a 4.5 hour "long stop over" not as long as the one I'm being made to endure!
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    • becominganobsessivesaver
    • By becominganobsessivesaver 17th Oct 16, 5:37 PM
    • 790 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    becominganobsessivesaver
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:37 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:37 PM
    A good technique is to hang up and call another agent. Fingers crossed you'll have more luck.
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 17th Oct 16, 5:53 PM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 3,254 Thanks
    JReacher1
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:53 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 5:53 PM
    Try and get yourself upgraded to the first class lounge at Heathrow. Tell them it's your honeymoon. That won't be a bad place to spend a few extra hours.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 17th Oct 16, 6:02 PM
    • 5,066 Posts
    • 6,088 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:02 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:02 PM
    Try and get yourself upgraded to the first class lounge at Heathrow. Tell them it's your honeymoon. That won't be a bad place to spend a few extra hours.
    Originally posted by JReacher1
    Is there any evidence of such claims working in the last decade?
    • photome
    • By photome 17th Oct 16, 6:28 PM
    • 12,000 Posts
    • 7,515 Thanks
    photome
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:28 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:28 PM
    Your minimum connection time is 90 minutes, so if one or other flight moved the wrong way by just 5 minutes it would be an illegal connection and hence the rebooking.

The 12.15 flight may be operated by American Airlines rather than BA.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    I have never heard of an illegal connection, does that only apply in the UK?

I have had many connection times less than 90 minutes but have never connected in the UK
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 17th Oct 16, 6:30 PM
    • 34,050 Posts
    • 142,348 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:30 PM
    • 17th Oct 16, 6:30 PM
    That won't work for a number of reasons, not least because the Galleries First lounge and the Concorde Room are both in Terminal 5 and OP departs from Terminal 3.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 17th Oct 16, 6:33 PM
    • 34,050 Posts
    • 142,348 Thanks
    silvercar

I have had many connection times less than 90 minutes but have never connected in the UK
    Originally posted by photome
    There are minumum connection times for every airport/ terminal combination based on domestic/ international flying. If a flight time changes and causes the connection time to drop below the MCT, the flight gets flagged up and the itinery needs to be changed. At some small airports the MCT can be as low as 20 minutes, so a connection that was dropping from 90 minutes to 85 wouldn't cause an issue.
    • dickydonkin
    • By dickydonkin 17th Oct 16, 6:36 PM
    • 2,786 Posts
    • 2,802 Thanks
    dickydonkin
    You could tell them you are the Queen of Sheba as it won't make any difference and you would be wasting your time even considering such a 'request'.

That won't work for a number of reasons, not least because the Galleries First lounge and the Concorde Room are both in Terminal 5 and OP departs from Terminal 3.
    There is also a Galleries First in T3.
    • photome
    • By photome 17th Oct 16, 6:52 PM
    • 12,000 Posts
    • 7,515 Thanks
    photome
    There are minumum connection times for every airport/ terminal combination based on domestic/ international flying. If a flight time changes and causes the connection time to drop below the MCT, the flight gets flagged up and the itinery needs to be changed. At some small airports the MCT can be as low as 20 minutes, so a connection that was dropping from 90 minutes to 85 wouldn't cause an issue.
    I have just booked a flight with a 50 minute connection at Minneapolis, I do expect the airline to change it though
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 17th Oct 16, 7:44 PM
    • 9,967 Posts
    • 6,523 Thanks
    Caz3121
    I've contacted BA and asked them to change us onto a 12:15 flight from LHR to LAS that was showing on sky scanner but we were told that flight doesn't exist.
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    I also cannot see that flight.
    There is a BA flight showing at 12:20 (BA1596) that is actually and American Airlines flight to Charlotte that would then connect you to a flight to LAS but that would get you there over 2 hours later than the direct flight
    I would call again and ask for the GLA-LHR flight to be later...I have always found them good in schedule changes
    Has a refund been offered? this is usually the case with changes over 2 hours....could you then take refund and rebook flights that suit better?
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 17th Oct 16, 8:49 PM
    • 5,816 Posts
    • 10,409 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    I also cannot see that flight.
    There is a BA flight showing at 12:20 (BA1596) that is actually and American Airlines flight to Charlotte that would then connect you to a flight to LAS but that would get you there over 2 hours later than the direct flight
    I would call again and ask for the GLA-LHR flight to be later...I have always found them good in schedule changes
    Has a refund been offered? this is usually the case with changes over 2 hours....could you then take refund and rebook flights that suit better?
    Originally posted by Caz3121
    No I've not been offered a refund and when I asked if I could cancel and rebook or move the date she said that's not an option without losing a large percentage of the money I paid.

Twitter team were hopeless, they just told me it was an operational issue and 6 hours in Heathrow is a long time, well duh it's quarter of the day!

I'll call them tomorrow on my lunch break and ask them again about changing the Glasgow flight.

NOT BUYING IT
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 17th Oct 16, 8:50 PM
    • 5,816 Posts
    • 10,409 Thanks
    GlasweJen

Originally posted by photome
    I've had a 50 minute connection at Gatwick

NOT BUYING IT
    • baza52
    • By baza52 17th Oct 16, 9:36 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 1,901 Thanks
    baza52
    book a local Travelodge or similar to Heathrow and practise being on honeymoon while you wait.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 17th Oct 16, 9:59 PM
    • 5,816 Posts
    • 10,409 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    book a local Travelodge or similar to Heathrow and practise being on honeymoon while you wait.
    Originally posted by baza52
    Will we be allowed to leave the airport?

NOT BUYING IT
    • baza52
    • By baza52 17th Oct 16, 10:01 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 1,901 Thanks
    baza52
    Will we be allowed to leave the airport?
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    cant see why not. Don't take my word for it though.
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 17th Oct 16, 10:14 PM
    • 2,413 Posts
    • 3,254 Thanks
    JReacher1
    You could tell them you are the Queen of Sheba as it won't make any difference and you would be wasting your time even considering such a 'request'.

There is also a Galleries First in T3.
    Originally posted by dickydonkin
    I'm pretty certain if you are the Queen of Sheba they would let you go to the first class lounge...

If the OP kicks up a fuss over the flight change this is the easiest way of resolving the dispute and it will cost BA nothing.

You people are just too negative and won't try for a freebee. It's why you guys all end up with nothing
    • baza52
    • By baza52 17th Oct 16, 10:18 PM
    • 1,942 Posts
    • 1,901 Thanks
    baza52
    I'm pretty certain if you are the Queen of Sheba they would let you go to the first class lounge...

If the OP kicks up a fuss over the flight change this is the easiest way of resolving the dispute and it will cost BA nothing.

You people are just too negative and won't try for a freebee. It's why you guys all end up with nothing
    Have to say that I managed to get invited to Virgins upper class lounge at Gatwick 3 times when going to Vegas.

It cant hurt to lay it on thick and there's nothing to lose by asking.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,755Posts Today

9,650Users online

Martin's Twitter