Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 14th Oct 16, 5:24 PM
    • 6,806Posts
    • 4,777Thanks
    esuhl
    Being prescribed an overdose (again)
    • 14th Oct 16, 5:24 PM
    Being prescribed an overdose (again) 14th Oct 16 at 5:24 PM
    I was just wondering how "normal" it is for doctors to prescribe overdoses of drugs?

Last year I was prescribed a month-long course of steroids along with antibiotics to treat an infection. The drug information leaflet, however, said several times in bold print that the drugs should never be used for more than 10 days.

I queried this with my GP, who said that it was perfectly safe to ignore any warnings given by drug manufacturers as they're just trying to cover themselves against legal action. Baffled by my hesitancy, he said that it wasn't really necessary to take the steroids at all if I didn't want to, and he'd only prescribed them to speed up my recovery by a day or two.

It seems odd to prescribe an overdose when it isn't even necessary... :-/

Anyway, I've just been prescribed a month's course of nasal-drops. Again, I've read the leaflet, which says three times in bold print that the drops should never be used for more than seven days.

There is absolutely no qualification (e.g. "unless directed by your doctor").

These drugs are for minor ailments. It's not as if I'm in a bad way and don't care about the risks.

Is this normal?! It seems incredibly dangerous for patients to be told to ignore the official dosage limits.
    Last edited by esuhl; 14-10-2016 at 5:29 PM.
Page 3
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 17th Oct 16, 1:06 PM
    • 5,840 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Perhaps this thread should be closed, as it's served its purpose and is now giving people the chance to rant about their personal experiences. These rants serve no purpose, as nothing can be achieved by forum members, but could lead to these people making themselves even more upset.

Yes, there are many cases where things went wrong, but there are many more with happy outcomes for which the recipients and families are very grateful.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 17th Oct 16, 1:23 PM
    • 6,806 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    esuhl
    Perhaps this thread should be closed, as it's served its purpose and is now giving people the chance to rant about their personal experiences. These rants serve no purpose, as nothing can be achieved by forum members, but could lead to these people making themselves even more upset.

Yes, there are many cases where things went wrong, but there are many more with happy outcomes for which the recipients and families are very grateful.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    If this thread is really distressing to you, perhaps you should do the "grown up" thing and just not read it, rather than petulantly insisting that no one else has the right to say things you don't like!

Perhaps your posts should be deleted if you're going to continue making these irrelevant comments...?

Yes, there are many cases where the NHS got things right, but there are very many people being harmed or killed. If people were more aware of the completely avoidable tragedies that the NHS perpetuate, then maybe fewer lives would be needlessly lost.

Or you can just live in denial and try to silence anyone who speaks out about medical malpractice.
    • Andypandyboy
    • By Andypandyboy 17th Oct 16, 1:40 PM
    • 2,297 Posts
    • 5,860 Thanks
    Andypandyboy
    I could have written the OP, almost to a word it is what happened to both my parents even down to the bowel cancer my mother had.

I also have recent experience of a close friend being treated at one of the UK's foremost cancer hospitals and their catalogue of errors ( missing scans, wrong records, missed appointment referrals, no scan referrals, being told scans were clear when they were not etc) means her once curable cancer is now stage 4 and spreading, and still she is experiencing incompetence each time she goes for an appointment.This despite them being "awash with money from fundraising donations" according to staff members.

Another friend had to go to court to get the local hospital to admit their shortcomings cost his brother his life. Yet another, that her mother had died as a result of low consultant staffing ratios at weekend. It was admitted in court that had she had her operation mid week she would still be alive.

So, I know where the OP is coming from. If you have never had such an experience it is very easy to doubt or dismiss, not so easy when you have seen loved ones suffer and die and are still seeing it.

It does make you suspicious, it does make you worry and the fact that logically we all know the NHS does more good than harm, does not negate that if it has happened to you.
    Last edited by Andypandyboy; 17-10-2016 at 1:45 PM.
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 17th Oct 16, 2:42 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 4,770 Thanks
    DomRavioli
    God, you're one of those people who just has to have their say, even when you know nothing about anything.
    Originally posted by esuhl
    Having worked in the NHS for over a decade, and dealt with people with your attitude every day, I know a little bit more than the average person.

Would you like to discount my 4 year BSc in biomedicine, or the 200+ courses I have attended relevant to my career in the NHS, or the good amount of current experience of both prescribing and dispensing information?
    Observe, Adapt, Overcome.
    SPC 2015 #497
    • Andypandyboy
    • By Andypandyboy 17th Oct 16, 2:56 PM
    • 2,297 Posts
    • 5,860 Thanks
    Andypandyboy
    Having worked in the NHS for over a decade, and dealt with people with your attitude every day, I know a little bit more than the average person.

Would you like to discount my 4 year BSc in biomedicine, or the 200+ courses I have attended relevant to my career in the NHS, or the good amount of current experience of both prescribing and dispensing information?
    Originally posted by DomRavioli
    You may have those qualifications, but tbh, you come across as lacking empathy and a bit arrogant.

I have a couple of degrees and post grad quals in my own field, and ditto the ongoing CPD. However, I would like to think that when dealing with joe public who has legitiimate case for concern I would exhibit some modicum of sympathy and understanding. Not everyone the NHS treats or comes into contact with is a numbskull and it is counterproductive to deal with them that way.
    Save
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 17th Oct 16, 3:18 PM
    • 5,840 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    teddysmum
    If this thread is really distressing to you, perhaps you should do the "grown up" thing and just not read it, rather than petulantly insisting that no one else has the right to say things you don't like!

Perhaps your posts should be deleted if you're going to continue making these irrelevant comments...?

Yes, there are many cases where the NHS got things right, but there are very many people being harmed or killed. If people were more aware of the completely avoidable tragedies that the NHS perpetuate, then maybe fewer lives would be needlessly lost.

Or you can just live in denial and try to silence anyone who speaks out about medical malpractice.

I am not distressed but you obviously are and this thread is doing you no good. Please seek help, before things get too much for you.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 17th Oct 16, 4:16 PM
    • 6,806 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    esuhl
    Ohh... no wonder you've got such a big chip on your shoulder. Too busy being part of the problem to even consider that you might ever be wrong.

I disregard any qualification held by ignorant, incompetent people. You can pass a test, but you clearly struggle with the basics -- like common sense and common courtesy.

With the level of contempt you show towards patients, I wonder if your highly-strung black-and-white thinking is due to the guilt you subconsciously feel for all the people you neglected, and who suffered at your hands.

I am not distressed but you obviously are and this thread is doing you no good. Please seek help, before things get too much for you.
    Ha ha -- you're funny. You should look up "Freudian projection". As I said, any mature adult would walk away from a discussion that was stressing them out. You just come back for more.

That tells me there's something wrong with you.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 17th Oct 16, 4:18 PM
    • 6,806 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    esuhl
    Anyway, ignoring the trolls and going back to the original post, I checked with the chemist. He confirmed that it's the patient information leaflet which contains incorrect advice.
    • cbrown372
    • By cbrown372 17th Oct 16, 4:32 PM
    • 985 Posts
    • 3,085 Thanks
    cbrown372
    Anyway, ignoring the trolls and going back to the original post, I checked with the chemist. He confirmed that it's the patient information leaflet which contains incorrect advice.
    So your Doc is right?
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 17th Oct 16, 4:33 PM
    • 6,806 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    esuhl
    So your Doc is right?
    Originally posted by cbrown372
    Yes -- he was this time.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 17th Oct 16, 5:06 PM
    • 5,840 Posts
    • 3,442 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Yes -- he was this time.

Will you now be giving an apology for ridiculing your doctor in public ?

Now what do they call the illness where someone, who has it, assumes that they are fine and it's others who are affected ?
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 17th Oct 16, 5:40 PM
    • 6,806 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    esuhl
    Don't be so silly! Where have I ridiculed him?

Anyway, the doctors never apologised for malpractice in the past. Maybe I should make some appointments and get every doctor who's ever made a serious error to apologise to me. Is that what you'd do?

I can't believe you have such a cavalier attitude to your health. Why would you put blind faith into a system knowing that it's highly fallible and such misplaced trust could kill you? What's wrong with asking questions? Don't you feel like you have any responsibility for your own health?

Now what do they call the illness where someone, who has it, assumes that they are fine and it's others who are affected ?
    Hmm... and what do they call people who believe contradictory advice? Gullible? Illogical? Stupid? Crazy? Delete as applicable.
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 18th Oct 16, 12:15 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 4,770 Thanks
    DomRavioli
    Ohh... no wonder you've got such a big chip on your shoulder. Too busy being part of the problem to even consider that you might ever be wrong.

Seen as I don't work for the NHS due to disability (medically retired), you're wrong. As you've been on pretty much everything on this thread.

I disregard any qualification held by ignorant, incompetent people. You can pass a test, but you clearly struggle with the basics -- like common sense and common courtesy.

I just don't suffer idiots. I'm not ignorant or incompetent. It took you days to follow basic advice, which proved to be the correct path to take, yet you're still having a go.

With the level of contempt you show towards patients, I wonder if your highly-strung black-and-white thinking is due to the guilt you subconsciously feel for all the people you neglected, and who suffered at your hands.

I don't show contempt towards patients. Only idiots who fail to follow basic advice after it has been given to them.I've never neglected a single person, and nobody has "suffered" at my hands. WE just put markers on files where patients are excessively difficult, or unable to follow basic instructions (both of which you have demonstrated on this thread).

Ha ha -- you're funny. You should look up "Freudian projection". As I said, any mature adult would walk away from a discussion that was stressing them out. You just come back for more.

That tells me there's something wrong with you.
    The only person with a problem here is you OP. Please get some MH intervention - it doesn't just affect you, it affects those around you. You haven't dealt with the pain of losing your parents in such circumstances, and are continuing it on into your own life with no sign of resolution.

So far you've attempted to tarnish my professional reputation, had a go at anyone who has suggested anything that may help, and then got horrendously personal. It screams mental health problem (and yes, I should know).
    SPC 2015 #497
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 18th Oct 16, 12:18 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 4,770 Thanks
    DomRavioli

Denial usually. OP is still on the grief spiral and will stay there until they either get help or it consumes them. I know which one my money is on.
    SPC 2015 #497
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 18th Oct 16, 1:35 PM
    • 2,738 Posts
    • 2,129 Thanks
    sheramber
    you didn't trust your doctor but trusted the 'expert' manufacturer.

Now you don't trust that 'expert' but trust the pharmacist , who doesn't agree with manufacturer but does agree with your doctor.

Have you contacted the manufacturer to tell them their information leaflet is wrong?
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 18th Oct 16, 3:58 PM
    • 6,806 Posts
    • 4,777 Thanks
    esuhl
    So far you've attempted to tarnish my professional reputation...
    Not at all. I left you to tarnish your own unprofessional reputation. Your level of ignorance and unnecessary aggression on this thread, as well as the inability to understand why it might be important to ensure that patients take the correct dose leaves us in no doubt as your level of incompetence.

... had a go at anyone who has suggested anything that may help, and then got horrendously personal. It screams mental health problem (and yes, I should know).
    What absolute nonsense. I've responded to your insults and aggression in kind. If you can't take it, you should look at the way you speak to people. Thank goodness patients no longer have to deal with your sheer arrogance and contemptuous attitude.

It's like being in the Monty Python sketch where I've inadvertently walked into the room for people who want an argument!

And then you have the audacity to imply that I'm mentally ill, when you're the one who keeps coming back here to pick fights with people! There's something wrong with you. No wonder you've not allowed to work any more.

you didn't trust your doctor but trusted the 'expert' manufacturer.
    Originally posted by sheramber
    No I didn't. Read the thread again. Maybe look up "contradiction" in the dictionary and see if you can wrap your head round the concept.

Now you don't trust that 'expert' but trust the pharmacist , who doesn't agree with manufacturer but does agree with your doctor.
    Two out of three ain't bad.

With the level of incompetence shown my healthcare professionals and organisations, they won't all be right. Look at the appalling advice given on this thread, by so-called former "professionals" for example.

Have you contacted the manufacturer to tell them their information leaflet is wrong?
    Not yet, but of course I will be.
    • mel48rose
    • By mel48rose 18th Oct 16, 8:35 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    mel48rose
    Everyone should ignore this thread, nasty vile troll
    If you change nothing, nothing will change!!
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 18th Oct 16, 8:40 PM
    • 2,862 Posts
    • 4,770 Thanks
    DomRavioli
    Not at all. I left you to tarnish your own unprofessional reputation. Your level of ignorance and unnecessary aggression on this thread, as well as the inability to understand why it might be important to ensure that patients take the correct dose leaves us in no doubt as your level of incompetence.

What absolute nonsense. I've responded to your insults and aggression in kind. If you can't take it, you should look at the way you speak to people. Thank goodness patients no longer have to deal with your sheer arrogance and contemptuous attitude.

It's like being in the Monty Python sketch where I've inadvertently walked into the room for people who want an argument!

And then you have the audacity to imply that I'm mentally ill, when you're the one who keeps coming back here to pick fights with people! There's something wrong with you. No wonder you've not allowed to work any more.

No I didn't. Read the thread again. Maybe look up "contradiction" in the dictionary and see if you can wrap your head round the concept.

With the level of incompetence shown my healthcare professionals and organisations, they won't all be right. Look at the appalling advice given on this thread, by so-called former "professionals" for example.

Learn to be happy, and free of your guilt.
    SPC 2015 #497
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 19th Oct 16, 1:55 PM
    • 2,738 Posts
    • 2,129 Thanks
    sheramber

No I didn't. Read the thread again

Try reading post 8

o, no I don't trust my doctor over printed advice that is presumably very strictly regulated.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 20th Oct 16, 2:40 PM
    • 3,336 Posts
    • 4,123 Thanks
    jack_pott
    Deleting posts is just about the level you'd expect from the NHS and their apologists isn't it. Just imagine if this thread had been about any organisation other than the NHS.

What if a motorist had been told to ignore speed limit signs by a policeman? I wonder if the police would try to label him mentally ill just for querying the contradictory advice, and what the reaction from the public would have been if they had.

The sheer unadulterated arrogance of the NHS is breath taking.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,737Posts Today

7,894Users online

Martin's Twitter