Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Boggsy
    • By Boggsy 13th Oct 16, 6:50 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Boggsy
    Fixed Penalty Notice and Insurance
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:50 PM
    Fixed Penalty Notice and Insurance 13th Oct 16 at 6:50 PM
    Hi,

Quick question. I was driving my mother in laws car after she had been knocked over. I might have run a red light, not sure. However, due to a number of circumstances I won't have access to her insurance documents.

If I was caught, do you have to supply proof of insurance if the registered keeper isn't the one driving, if you take the points? Or if you are offered a course, do you need to prove insurance?
    Last edited by Boggsy; 13-10-2016 at 7:13 PM. Reason: clarity of the question
Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 13th Oct 16, 6:51 PM
    • 3,718 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:51 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 6:51 PM
    Hi,

Quick question. I was driving my mother in laws car after she had been knocked over. I might have run a red light, not sure. However, due to a number of circumstances I won't have access to her insurance documents.

If I was caught, do you have to supply proof of insurance if you take the points? Or if you are offered a course, do you need to prove insurance?
    Originally posted by Boggsy
    nope was never asked
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 13th Oct 16, 7:25 PM
    • 3,465 Posts
    • 2,774 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:25 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:25 PM
    Sounds more like you're concerned about whether you're insured. Do you have reason to believe you are not?
    • Boggsy
    • By Boggsy 13th Oct 16, 7:49 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Boggsy
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:49 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:49 PM
    Sounds more like you're concerned about whether you're insured. Do you have reason to believe you are not?
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    No, I know I'm a named driver on her policy, but I'm not going to have access to the documents for a few weeks. I just wanted to know if I needed to worry about it or not.
    • Fat Walt
    • By Fat Walt 13th Oct 16, 7:57 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Fat Walt
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:57 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:57 PM
    No, I know I'm a named driver on her policy, but I'm not going to have access to the documents for a few weeks. I just wanted to know if I needed to worry about it or not.
    Well given the fact they have to serve the nip within 14 days and she has 28 days to name you as driving before you get your paperwork, gives you enough time to sort it if you need to produce it.
    • Boggsy
    • By Boggsy 13th Oct 16, 8:02 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Boggsy
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:02 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:02 PM
    I was just wondering if I'll need to sort it or not. Granted I may have time to sort it, but do I need to?
    • Fat Walt
    • By Fat Walt 13th Oct 16, 8:14 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    Fat Walt
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:14 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:14 PM
    I was just wondering if I'll need to sort it or not. Granted I may have time to sort it, but do I need to?

You shouldn't need to produce it, but that doesn't mean you won't have to.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 13th Oct 16, 8:43 PM
    • 1,411 Posts
    • 875 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:43 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:43 PM
    If your MIL simply names you in time, and you respond properly to your own NIP in time, then it's vanishingly unlikely that anyone will ask any further questions. The whole thing will be handled without much (or any) human input.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,712Posts Today

7,862Users online

Martin's Twitter