Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alice_kate
    • By alice_kate 13th Oct 16, 10:15 AM
    • 196Posts
    • 128Thanks
    alice_kate
    Blogging
    • 13th Oct 16, 10:15 AM
    Blogging 13th Oct 16 at 10:15 AM
    Hi all!

Thought this was the right place to post this .

Does anyone else have a blog? Is it something you do for fun or do you make a little money from it?

I've recently started a blog on home/lifestyle and linked it to my Adsense but to be honest I think it'll remain a hobby instead of a money earner yesterday I made 8p! I didn't get many views compared to normal though as I didn't publish a new post! Although with my regular views I'd imagine if going by % it'd still only be about 20p! Oh well, it's a good job I enjoy it

Alice
Page 1
    • Jada90
    • By Jada90 13th Oct 16, 12:15 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 4,058 Thanks
    Jada90
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:15 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 12:15 PM
    Hi Alice,

I've been blogging for four years now, I started in August 2012 and become self employed through it in October 2012!

It works for me but I know it doesn't work for everybody, there is a lot more to be earnt from blogging! I personally don't have adsense, but from fellow bloggers I know it's not the biggest of their incomes when it comes to blogging
    • katykicker
    • By katykicker 13th Oct 16, 1:17 PM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 11,672 Thanks
    katykicker
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:17 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:17 PM
    I earn a lot of money from my blog.

I get paid for sponsored posts, product reviews, hosting competitions, posting on my social media, advertising on Instagram and so much more.

It has taken me 2 years to build up to the level I am at and now I regularly have brands contacting me wanting to pay me to work with them. It has been a lot of hard work but I'm really grateful.
    Making £3.5k a month+ now all from home £15k earned in 2014, £28k in 2015. I'm a blogger and also I work from home. I've been featured in The Guardian and Moneywise magazine

Happy to help anyone who wants advice via PM or on the 'Boost Your Income' forum when I'm online.
    • Fallen-Angel
    • By Fallen-Angel 13th Oct 16, 1:18 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 1,602 Thanks
    Fallen-Angel
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:18 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:18 PM
    You can earn a full time wage from blogging but it is also a full-time job. I've been blogging on my current blog for a year and a half now but it's only in the last month I'm being approached by companies to write about them/include their sites etc and I'm bringing in a few hundred from that. I get about £25 every 3-4 months from Adsense (which includes YouTube earnings too) and about the same from Amazon Affiliates.

It's like any work from home, the more you put in to it the more you will see bac
    Mother to a 7 year old. Wife to an engineer.

Baker. Gamer. Rocker. Crafter. Blogger. Geek.
    • MeriCaska
    • By MeriCaska 13th Oct 16, 1:36 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    MeriCaska
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:36 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 1:36 PM
    I think blogging is one of the most underrated ways to make money from home.
    • alice_kate
    • By alice_kate 13th Oct 16, 3:05 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    alice_kate
    • 13th Oct 16, 3:05 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 3:05 PM
    Ah it's amazing to hear people are doing well from blogging - I am enjoying doing mine.

How do you make money from your blogs? I've got Adsense like I said but that's it so far! I've been offered a few freebies to promote but that's mainly down to my Instagram.

I have a good Instagram following which is steadily growing which is what made me decide to start a blog!
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 13th Oct 16, 7:41 PM
    • 3,856 Posts
    • 7,980 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:41 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:41 PM
    Making money from blogging is all well and good, but I stop reading when bloggers sell themselves out. It's like blog prostitution, when they will literally put anything on their blog because they've been offered money to do so- regardless of whether it fits with their blog niche. I'd be embarrassed to do that and it will actually lose you genuine readers. Boy, they must be desperate for free stuff. I bet they end up flogging half of it on eBay because it's tat! My advice....don't sell out! Write your own blog posts because you're genuinely enthusiastic about what you're writing about- not because British Gas paid you to write about the importance of your elderly relatives keeping the heating on in the winter, when you're supposed to be writing about money-saving or food! I've seen that and much worse.

I have 2 successful blogs and write about subjects I'm genuinely interested in. HTH
    Last edited by Wizzbang; 13-10-2016 at 7:42 PM. Reason: extra info
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £30,290.16
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks £1586.50
    • asajj
    • By asajj 13th Oct 16, 7:47 PM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 8,107 Thanks
    asajj
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:47 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 7:47 PM
    Ah it's amazing to hear people are doing well from blogging - I am enjoying doing mine.

How do you make money from your blogs? I've got Adsense like I said but that's it so far! I've been offered a few freebies to promote but that's mainly down to my Instagram.

I have a good Instagram following which is steadily growing which is what made me decide to start a blog!
    Originally posted by alice_kate
    It depends. Some write sponsored posts, some receive freebies to test and some others earn through adverts although I heard adsense is usually aren't great. Money-making bloggers also earn from referrals to websites. So overall, I don't think there is a "one size fits all" approach to earning from a blog.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • DaveTheGeordie
    • By DaveTheGeordie 13th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    DaveTheGeordie
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    • 13th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    I want to make a very simple 'banner site'. Basically a one page blog with banners, which function as referral links to my click / cashback sites I use. Something very no frills that I could do in a day.

I don't expect to make anything from it. It's more of an exercise in affiliate marketting and blog familiarising, a bit of fun.

Which would you choose? Blogspot, Wordpress or something else?
    • Olliegami
    • By Olliegami 13th Oct 16, 9:28 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 764 Thanks
    Olliegami
    I'd love to know what websites you use, and what you guys blog about.

I'm using Wordpress at the moment, but having trouble with the application for Adwords.
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 13th Oct 16, 9:56 PM
    • 3,856 Posts
    • 7,980 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    Wordpress is rated by my website designer and he knows about this stuff (obviously). You can also migrate it to use with a paid platform, so you won't lose content etc. You will get more functionality from a paid option, as with the free platform they put limits on ways you can earn through restricted functionality, size etc. With a paid option, you get your own domain name (which is paid for too, can be done separately) which drives more traffic to your site, makes it look better/more reputable etc.
    Minimalist
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks £1586.50
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 13th Oct 16, 11:35 PM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 9,665 Thanks
    Hermia
    Making money from blogging is all well and good, but I stop reading when bloggers sell themselves out. It's like blog prostitution, when they will literally put anything on their blog because they've been offered money to do so- regardless of whether it fits with their blog niche. I'd be embarrassed to do that and it will actually lose you genuine readers. Boy, they must be desperate for free stuff. I bet they end up flogging half of it on eBay because it's tat! My advice....don't sell out! Write your own blog posts because you're genuinely enthusiastic about what you're writing about- not because British Gas paid you to write about the importance of your elderly relatives keeping the heating on in the winter, when you're supposed to be writing about money-saving or food! I've seen that and much worse.

I have 2 successful blogs and write about subjects I'm genuinely interested in. HTH
    Originally posted by Wizzbang
    I agree. I have just unsubbed from a big list of moneysaving/frugal blogs because they became more about providing an income for the blogger rather than helping the reader. The majority of posts were affiliate links, OTT 5-star reviews for freebie products and them trying to flog stuff. I do know a lot of people have turned away from reading lifestyle blogs because of the fact that so many of the reviews for free products are always 100% positive, even if they are products the blogger would never have touched with a barge pole before!

I do have a book blog, but don't expect to make any money from it. I do get some free books obviously. One thing I do like is that publishers don't seem to put any pressure on bloggers to write positive reviews.
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 14th Oct 16, 12:39 AM
    • 3,856 Posts
    • 7,980 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    I agree. I have just unsubbed from a big list of moneysaving/frugal blogs because they became more about providing an income for the blogger rather than helping the reader. The majority of posts were affiliate links, OTT 5-star reviews for freebie products and them trying to flog stuff. I do know a lot of people have turned away from reading lifestyle blogs because of the fact that so many of the reviews for free products are always 100% positive, even if they are products the blogger would never have touched with a barge pole before!

I do have a book blog, but don't expect to make any money from it. I do get some free books obviously. One thing I do like is that publishers don't seem to put any pressure on bloggers to write positive reviews.
    Originally posted by Hermia
    The sad thing these days it that everyone terms success to equal money. Surely the whole point of a successful blog is the quality of the writing and engaging content. I pretty much only review products I have purchased myself on my blog, this guarantees that I am impartial and made an informed choice in purchasing them. I prefer to read informative and educational content written to a high standard and with humour (sometimes). Too many of these bloggers are fairly uneducated sorts who can't even use a spell checker to assist with their awful spelling and grammar. Let alone people who understand the principles of bias, validity and reliability. As if decent companies would want copy like that to help sell their products! I also agree, I don't think that any reputable company would insist on a positive review.
    Minimalist
    • bricksbricksbricks
    • By bricksbricksbricks 14th Oct 16, 9:13 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    bricksbricksbricks
    I am curious

What platforms do you guys use? what do you blog about anything in particular?

But well done to those who do it, I don't think I could find the time.

I have Seen Katy's definitely worth a look.
    • Fallen-Angel
    • By Fallen-Angel 15th Oct 16, 5:32 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 1,602 Thanks
    Fallen-Angel
    I'm self-hosted and use Wordpress, I blog about anything and everything from making/saving money to being a parent. If I fancy writing about it then I will
    Mother to a 7 year old. Wife to an engineer.

Baker. Gamer. Rocker. Crafter. Blogger. Geek.
    • Ladykernow
    • By Ladykernow 15th Oct 16, 7:16 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    Ladykernow
    I would love to get into blogging. But it's finding a subject that I want to write about and would keep wanting to write about.
    28/04/2016 Swagbucks payout: £80
    0/2,000
    • mickeymouse303
    • By mickeymouse303 26th Oct 16, 11:42 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    mickeymouse303
    You can make a bit of money from blogging if you get a good reputation, as companies will pay you to review their products.
    • VeroWright
    • By VeroWright 28th Oct 16, 11:48 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    VeroWright
    Which are the most preferable platform for blogging?
    • mimiduck
    • By mimiduck 28th Oct 16, 11:32 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    mimiduck
    I am trying to start a blog as well but it is going very slowly I'm afraid. I am keen to read other people blogs, especially someone who has started out as I would like to see how much material they have gotten etc. if anyone wants to share their site
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 29th Oct 16, 6:28 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 5,659 Thanks
    Ilona
    I am trying to start a blog as well but it is going very slowly I'm afraid. I am keen to read other people blogs, especially someone who has started out as I would like to see how much material they have gotten etc. if anyone wants to share their site
    Originally posted by mimiduck
    Hi.
    You can read my blog if you like, if you want a feel of what a blog is about. I have been doing it for eight years, last month was 118,000 page views. I don't blog for money, it is a hobby, but the principle is the same, write often, write interesting content, be consistent.

I write about my brilliant life on a pension. It's about making the most of what money I already have, not about making more. There are no adverts, I don't accept guest posts, I won't accept money for free products or services. I can't tell you how to monetise your blog, others will be able to tell you that.

I would say try and get in the habit of writing every day, it will take a while for you to build up a readership and sign up followers. It doesn't matter to me how many people read my blog but if you plan to make money from it you need to write something they want to read. People won't come back if there are big gaps between your posts. Choose the subjects you are interested in. Writing is a creative pastime, your spelling, grammar, and punctuation need to be quite good, odd mistakes are tolerated.

Some days I write lengthy posts with lots of photographs, sometimes no photo's just text, sometimes a short post. Depends how much time I have. If you are doing it to earn money it becomes like a job, you have got to want to do it. If I didn't enjoy writing a blog, I wouldn't do it.

If your blog is going slowly is it because you are stuck for ideas, or can't be bothered to put the effort in, or don't have the time? You have got to be keen and committed to make it work. Good luck.
    [Removed]

Ilona
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam2; 13-11-2016 at 10:57 PM.
    I love skip diving
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,724Posts Today

8,460Users online

Martin's Twitter