IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Help please on a response to solicitors

My Letter - To: Wright Hassall Debt recovery operations following guidance from the forum

Ref. No. 1313176

For the personal attention of Tim Hawker

Total parking solutions v Jane Rodger
Proposed Legal Proceedings

Thank you for your letters of 31/08/16 and 15/09/16.

First, the alleged debt is disputed as I knew nothing about it until your letters arrived and any court proceedings will be vigorously defended.

Secondly, despite the wholly inaccurate statement that the letter is 'fully compliant with the Practice Direction' it is in fact woefully defective and appears to be a deliberate attempt to mislead the recipient.

Please therefore provide a Letter Before Claim which complies with the requirements of Annex A Para 2 of the Practice Direction on Pre-action Conduct.

I confirm that I shall then seek advice and submit a formal Response within 30 days of receipt, as required by the Practice Direction.

Please ensure that you read and respond to this letter, providing the specific information relating to the county court claim that your client intends to make against myself as the defendant to the proposed legal proceedings. Please DO NOT send a generic FAQ letter in reply as to do so does not meet the requirements of the Practice Direction and will take this matter no further forward.

Please note, a refusal to comply with the Practice Direction will result in an immediate referral to the Solicitors Regulation Authority for breach of the Principles contained in the SRA Handbook version 8, published on 1st October 2013.

I trust this will not be necessary, and look forward to receiving a fully compliant letter before claim in due course or a letter to say this claim has now been dropped.

Yours faithfully

Jane Rodger

Wright Hassalls response -
Car Parking Operator: TOTAL PARKING SOLUTIONS
Instructed by: Total Parking Solutions Ltd
Balance outstanding: £ 100.00

With reference to your recent correspondence, the contents of which have been duly noted.

First of all, please note we are required to comply specifically with Annex B of the Pre Action Protocol and we do so fully. In proceedings we comply with the spirit of Annex A and we conduct litigation in accordance with the overriding objective. The Letter Before Claim makes clear the action that will be taken should non-payment continue and the consequences of such action. We are confident that our pre action correspondence meets all requirements for information to be provided to the recipient and will therefore not re-issue.

Secondly, please refer to copies of initial Parking Charge Notice (PCN), reminder and final reminder notices that were all sent to your address on 08 June, 23 June and 25 July 2016 respectively. These notices have been sent to the same address to which you received further correspondence from us. Unfortunately, as no payment or response has been received within the required timeframe stated in the notices, our clients had to pass this matter for recovery activities.

It does appear that an increasing number of motorists receive misguided and often misleading advice from online forums who claim parking charges are ‘unfair’ and ‘illegal’. Should you chose to rely on this advice or use template letters sourced from the internet we will not respond further and you can consider this letter our final response on the matter. Further should you choose to rely on a template defence at court we will seek an immediate strike out.

We can, therefore, confirm this PCN stands and in order to close the matter in settlement of your liability, the outstanding balance of £100.00 needs to be paid in full. We will place a 14-day hold on this matter to allow you time to make payment in full. Should payment in full not be received, the hold will be removed and this account may proceed to litigation stage with a view to issuing a claim and obtaining judgment.

Please see below our payment methods we have enclosed for your convenience.

Debit Card/ Direct Debit: Call 01926 758101
Online: Please visit our website

Please quote our reference number with all payments.

Yours sincerely

Tim Hawker
Head of Debt Recovery Operations
I am not sure how to respond next, please can you offer some advice.

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 10 October 2016 at 6:25PM
    Dear Sirs,

Re: PCN Ref xxxxxxxxxx - Total Parking Solutions

I refer to the recent letter sent by Tim Hawker, which appears (due to his job title) to merely be a debt collector reply but also mentions court and fails to disclose any key documents relevant to the issues in this dispute.

You refer to alleged 'TPS' letters dated June and July but these were never served. Kindly show me any proof of posting and in the absence of such proof, please at least provide me with the alleged letters so I can compare them to the wording of Schedule 4 of the POFA 2012. It is my belief that your client does not use all of the mandatory wording in Schedule 4 in their template NTK but of course, I have never seen this alleged notice. I need to form a considered opinion on whether they are able to potentially hold me liable as keeper for a parking event I know nothing about.

You are respectfully requested to furnish me with copies of all TPS' letters within 14 days. I also require a copy of the contract (i.e. photographs of the signage on site dated at the time of the alleged parking event).

Kindly do not insult my intelligence with a glib comment on whether YOU think TPS complied with the statutory wording and/or created a contract from 'adequate notice' of the parking charge on site. Not only are your interests very obviously swayed by your client's view, but I am well aware that Wright Hassall has demonstrated that you have very little knowledge about POFA compliance nor prominent/clear signage, as proved by your woeful decisions when 'acting as if you were POPLA'. A sorry state of affairs and conflict of interests, casting a shadow over POPLA's supposed independence and followed (coincidentally?) by the resignation of the ISPA Chairperson and Deputy. Your firm's notoriety relating to your dealings with the private parking 'industry' does not fill me with confidence that Wright Hassall will do anything more than pay lip service to pre-action protocol, should this matter proceed further.

I remind you that, as no NTK was served (you will be unable to evidence that it was delivered, because it was not) your client has in fact failed to invoke 'keeper liability'. If you should proceed, my witness statement will include the truthful statement that no previous letters arrived regarding this matter. I have no idea what it is about and cannot be held liable even if you send me a NTK copy now. It is too late.

It does appear that an increasing number of motorists are being sent misleading information by solicitors acting for private parking firms, so I am pleased to confirm I will continue to consult online forums and your threats and misinformation will be used as evidence of your unreasonableness and failure to comply with the very basics of the Overriding Objective. I will also have no hesitation in reporting your firm to the SRA, should you attempt to mislead me further or try to dissuade me from my right to seek advice where I see fit.

I am unimpressed by your threat that, should I choose to rely on a template defence at court ''we will seek an immediate strike out''. Good luck with that - as a firm of solicitors you are well aware that your first duty is to the court and there is nothing wrong with a consumer seeking assistance to write responses to baseless template allegations from a company with whom I have no contract. A consumer can seek advice wherever they wish and it is the likes of parking firms and their solicitors who deal mainly in template letters. I reserve the right to seek a strike out myself, if you proceed vexatiously with a template claim without due diligence nor any particulars that could possibly give rise to a claim, knowing that I cannot be held liable.

I remind you that there is no presumption in law relating to private land parking, that a keeper was the driver, unless your client has evidence of that person. If they do have evidence of who was driving, I require that evidence to be furnished along with copies of their letters and pictures of the signs on site which they allege were capable of creating a contract with a driver.

If I do not receive the evidence upon which TPS intend to rely, within 14 days, I will quite reasonably consider the matter closed.

yours faithfully,
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    "It does appear that an increasing number of motorists receive misguided and often misleading advice from online forums who claim parking charges are ‘unfair’ and ‘illegal’. Should you chose to rely on this advice or use template letters sourced from the internet we will not respond further and you can consider this letter our final response on the matter. Further should you choose to rely on a template defence at court we will seek an immediate strike out. "

Wright Hassall behaving badly again

I thought in their pretend mode as WHOPLA, that most of their rejection letters are copy and paste anyway ?

What a very misleading statement ? A prime case for a complaint to the SRA
  • hoohoo
    hoohoo Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    First of all, please note we are required to comply specifically with Annex B of the Pre Action Protocol and we do so fully. In proceedings we comply with the spirit of Annex A and we conduct litigation in accordance with the overriding objective. The Letter Before Claim makes clear the action that will be taken should non-payment continue and the consequences of such action. We are confident that our pre action correspondence meets all requirements for information to be provided to the recipient and will therefore not re-issue.

LOL. Those practice directions expired on Tuesday, 28 July 2015. The current ones are here.
    https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/pd_pre-action_conduct

Nice to know that they are over a year behind the curve. I would file a complaint with the SRA .
    Dedicated to driving up standards in parking
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    but , who penned the letter before getting Mr Hawker to sign it
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    pappa_golf wrote: »

Really? Was it you PG?. :rotfl:
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    hoohoo wrote: »

LOL. Those practice directions expired on Tuesday, 28 July 2015. The current ones are here.
    https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/pd_pre-action_conduct

Nice to know that they are over a year behind the curve. I would file a complaint with the SRA .
    Good point, hoohoo.

After you posted this I toyed with adding it to the suggested response for the OP, but I decided not to tip them off about the old Practice Direction and to report the entire misleading letter to the SRA. So much to report them for there.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    If Mr Hawker's signature is on it, its his letter. Best be careful because he isn't a solicitor so somewhere in the background must be a supervising solicitor who, its seems, isn't keeping on top of his staff training.

It also seems that Mr Hawker's detailed understanding of the Pre-Action Protocols (the current version or the one introduced in 2010 (Annexe A) is lacking because they encourage (and always have encouraged) an exchange of information - that means a two-way process - not just an arrogant statement of intent.

And as BG has said it illbehoves a debt collector whose entire business model is predicated on the use of template processes and letters to complain about someone else doing the same. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

And their grounds for applying for an immediate strike-out would be what? Or is that just another bloody-minded, foot-stamping comment because the OP had the temerity to question the alleged debt? Of course it was.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • I used coupon-mad's letter and here is their response...

Our Reference: 1313176
    Client Reference: AT3212014
    Car Parking Operator: TOTAL PARKING SOLUTIONS
    Instructed by: Total Parking Solutions Ltd
    Outstanding Balance: £ 100.00

We write in reference to your recent correspondence, the contents of which have been duly noted.

In light of the comments you have made, we have referred this matter to our client, and will return to you in due course, the above account has been placed on hold during this time.

Yours sincerely,

Tim Hawker
    Head of Debt Recovery Operations
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills