Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Apoorwoman
    • By Apoorwoman 8th Oct 16, 11:16 PM
    • 183Posts
    • 384Thanks
    Apoorwoman
    Cooking instructions on packaging
    • 8th Oct 16, 11:16 PM
    Cooking instructions on packaging 8th Oct 16 at 11:16 PM
    No, this is not a complaint. I have just cooked a Betty Smith's Half Crispy Duck in Orange Sauce I would just like to say what a joy it is to have cooking instructions etc., that are so easy to read. I have been saying for years how thoughtless it is that most suppliers put the cooking instructions in something like four point and often white out of grey on a tiny corner of the packet when they had so much space available. Now, in my old age, I have developed AMD and am really struggling, so this was a joy. A good A4 package with clear cooking and nutritional info and the meal was delicious.

My one worry is that on looking for their contact details (to thank them) I noticed that this duck is sourced from China, which seriously concerns me regarding welfare regulations
Page 1
    • Laz123
    • By Laz123 9th Oct 16, 8:45 AM
    • 1,480 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    Laz123
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:45 AM
    • 9th Oct 16, 8:45 AM
    I absolutely agree. Not only do you need 20/20 vision but a microscope as well. The pakagers must be complete idiots.

BTW Peking duck is fine.
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.
    George Carlin
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 9th Oct 16, 7:31 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 9th Oct 16, 7:31 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 7:31 PM
    I also agree!

What also annoys me is that some ready meals from the same retailer have either (a) clearly legible cooking instructions showing a microwave symbol plus wattage plus cooking time (which is easy to read) or (b) unclear and illegible instructions hidden on the back of the packet which are impossible to read.

As it's the same supermarket why don't they specify to all suppliers how cooking instructions must be displayed?
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 9th Oct 16, 9:39 PM
    • 7,630 Posts
    • 7,689 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:39 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 9:39 PM
    My one worry is that on looking for their contact details (to thank them) I noticed that this duck is sourced from China, which seriously concerns me regarding welfare regulations
    Originally posted by Apoorwoman
    Were you aware that China's duck industry is the largest in the world by a considerable margin - accounting for at least two thirds of the world's entire commercial production - and possibly much more if you include domestic ducks?

So its quite likely that a lot of bought duck comes from China, even here.
    • Apoorwoman
    • By Apoorwoman 9th Oct 16, 10:27 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    Apoorwoman
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:27 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:27 PM
    Were you aware that China's duck industry is the largest in the world by a considerable margin - accounting for at least two thirds of the world's entire commercial production - and possibly much more if you include domestic ducks?

So its quite likely that a lot of bought duck comes from China, even here.
    Originally posted by pogofish
    So yet another meal I can cross off then. Though I normally buy Chessingham duck - which I presume has British welfare standards?
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Oct 16, 10:31 PM
    • 60,242 Posts
    • 351,962 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:31 PM
    • 9th Oct 16, 10:31 PM
    One of my particular favourites is the dark mustard coloured font on a dark brown part of the packaging, which is printed a bit blurry.

Sometimes you get all the fun of the 10 minute "Instructions Hunting Game". It's like an organised pre-feed activity ... all for free.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 7th Mar 17, 7:49 PM
    • 30,084 Posts
    • 19,041 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 7th Mar 17, 7:49 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 7:49 PM
    Food comes in various Greece resistance boxes, if it comes to custom subscription boxes, they are much reliable to keep edibles, as well as use for shipping purpose.
    Originally posted by jimmygarison2
    Say again.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 7th Mar 17, 8:47 PM
    • 2,734 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 7th Mar 17, 8:47 PM
    • 7th Mar 17, 8:47 PM
    The worst culprits are the ones who print the cooking instructions on the back of the label. So you have to rip the label off the packaging to see them.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • Gigervamp
    • By Gigervamp 8th Mar 17, 9:24 PM
    • 6,220 Posts
    • 19,804 Thanks
    Gigervamp
    • 8th Mar 17, 9:24 PM
    • 8th Mar 17, 9:24 PM
    So yet another meal I can cross off then. Though I normally buy Chessingham duck - which I presume has British welfare standards?
    Do you mean Gressingham duck?

From their website:
    We might be the “Gressingham Duck people” but there is room in our hearts for other poultry too. From our farms in Suffolk and Norfolk, and working with other British farmers, we produce free-range turkey and goose, which are particularly popular at Christmas.
    We have found the most delicious crispy aromatic duck and seasoned duck breasts made from the Pekin Duck produced by partners in Thailand with a unique method to an authentic recipe and to the same exacting standards as our own.
    So, some of their duck comes from Thailand. I've no idea what the welfare standards are over there.
    • Apoorwoman
    • By Apoorwoman 8th Mar 17, 10:47 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    Apoorwoman
    Hi Giger Vamp. Following my OP I contacted Betty Smith to applaud their packaging and to raise my concerns regarding welfare. They passed my query to another department who sent me a PDF of all the different countries and their welfare standards. Unfortunately, I do not still have this document, but it roughly said that China was basic EU standards, which frankly did not fill me with confidence. Interesting point you raise regarding Chessingham duck - never read that before - I will recheck their packaging next time I go shopping. Thank you.
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 9th Mar 17, 7:57 AM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,624 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    Agree Absolutley
    .... how thoughtless it is that most suppliers put the cooking instructions in something like four point and often white out of grey on a tiny corner of the packet when they had so much space available.
    Drives me mad as well
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 26th May 17, 8:46 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    Fray Bentos "cook in the can" pies, print the time and temperature on the base ; so if you take off the lid and can't remember what it said, all the options are awkward or messy.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 27th May 17, 5:26 PM
    • 8,339 Posts
    • 4,961 Thanks
    teddysmum
    McCains oven chips have a lucky draw (very lucky to win,I imagine)which involves finding a code on the inside of the pack.

Of course the inside is greasy,so unpleasant to handle , but the code is in dot matrix format, in pale grey ink, so very difficult to find.
    • ARandomMiser
    • By ARandomMiser 28th May 17, 9:09 AM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 3,498 Thanks
    ARandomMiser
    There is a bit of a catch-22 going on. In the electronics game the size of any piece of equipment used to be mostly dictated by the space required for the dials, switchs and knobs on the front. Similarly packaging used to be dictated by the number of instructions and other things that had to be included.

With improving print technology it has been able to make the writing smaller and reduce packaging sizes (something else people are demanding). On the other hand there is more and more text to be added to the packaging including ingredients, how to serve, branding, contact details, nutritional information etc.

I really sympathise with the OP since I also struggle to read much of the content of these labels - this has led to many gastronomic mistakes by me including burning a salad.
    Last edited by ARandomMiser; 28-05-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    IITYYHTBMAD
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 28th May 17, 1:11 PM
    • 8,339 Posts
    • 4,961 Thanks
    teddysmum
    There is a bit of a catch-22 going on. In the electronics game the size of any piece of equipment used to be mostly dictated by the space required for the dials, switchs and knobs on the front. Similarly packaging used to be dictated by the number of instructions and other things that had to be included.

With improving print technology it has been able to make the writing smaller and reduce packaging sizes (something else people are demanding). On the other hand there is more and more text to be added to the packaging including ingredients, how to serve, branding, contact details, nutritional information etc.

I really sympathise with the OP since I also struggle to read much of the content of these labels - this has led to many gastronomic mistakes by me including burning a salad.
    Originally posted by ARandomMiser

Don't forget instructions in about 6 different languages.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 28th May 17, 1:34 PM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    It's not just cooking instructions, but ingredients lists that have this problem too. Often written in miniscule text with poor colour contrast with the background, and into the bargain sometimes hidden in a packaging fold.

And don't get me started on the different languages!
    • ARandomMiser
    • By ARandomMiser 29th May 17, 5:37 AM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 3,498 Thanks
    ARandomMiser
    It's not just cooking instructions, but ingredients lists that have this problem too. Often written in miniscule text with poor colour contrast with the background, and into the bargain sometimes hidden in a packaging fold.

And don't get me started on the different languages!
    Originally posted by ThemeOne
    On the front of ingredient lists, what are half the things they list. It seems that the list has got more and more specific over time and is now a cocktail of chemicals rather than foodstuffs.

It used to says beans, tomato sauce ... now it says beans (65%), sodium hypochlorate oxide, arsenic di-hydroxifluorate, beetle extract, flea of camel
    IITYYHTBMAD
    • PhylPho
    • By PhylPho 29th May 17, 1:32 PM
    • 1,248 Posts
    • 2,722 Thanks
    PhylPho
    On the front of ingredient lists, what are half the things they list. It seems that the list has got more and more specific over time and is now a cocktail of chemicals rather than foodstuffs.

It used to says beans, tomato sauce ... now it says beans (65%), sodium hypochlorate oxide, arsenic di-hydroxifluorate, beetle extract, flea of camel
    Originally posted by ARandomMiser
    Agreed. What used to be a shopping trip to the supermarket is now a visit to the chemical warfare lab.

We've been cutting down on fats content due to my recent gall bladder op, so switched to what seemed a suitable yoghurt from a major brand. Healthy? Huh. Anyone for acesulfame K or aspartame? Really does you the world of good. . . because after all, it's sold as 0% FAT.

Pity there's no legislation to make 'em also state: 90% CHEMICALS.
    • ARandomMiser
    • By ARandomMiser 29th May 17, 5:48 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 3,498 Thanks
    ARandomMiser
    Originally posted by PhylPho
    I get the feeling that sometimes the packaging has more nutritional value than the contents.
    IITYYHTBMAD
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 29th May 17, 5:51 PM
    • 2,734 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    Ectophile
    Agreed. What used to be a shopping trip to the supermarket is now a visit to the chemical warfare lab.

We've been cutting down on fats content due to my recent gall bladder op, so switched to what seemed a suitable yoghurt from a major brand. Healthy? Huh. Anyone for acesulfame K or aspartame? Really does you the world of good. . . because after all, it's sold as 0% FAT.

Originally posted by PhylPho
    That's because, when it comes down to it, everything is 100% chemicals. It's just a question of which ones.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

157Posts Today

1,451Users online

Martin's Twitter