Has My Credit File Been Compromised?

Options
Dear MSE
I have just registered as a new member, and took up the Free Experian Credit Report.
I was shocked to find my score come out at 321 out of 999!!
This, potentially, explains why my credit card provider recently advised intention to raise my credit limit, then promptly withdrew this offer before active date, due to "adverse information"!
I am a professional IFA/Financial Consultant, and I am regulatorily obliged to have a Statement of Professional Standing, issued annually, in order to be able to retain my role as an Adviser.
My credit report was reissued only 2-3 months ago, and my SPS issued, based on a "clean" Report from Experian or Equifax, and yet it seems something could have occurred which has impacted my credit rating.
Personally, my Mortgage is up to date, I pay off my TESCO credit card statement religiously every month, anything from £1,500 to £3,000, I have a Halifax Affinitiy card which is Zero and paid off whenever used, I have a Personal Loan which is up to date, and have paid off previous loans without hiccup or arrears, and all my direct debits are up to date with utilities, Council, life companies, and so on.
Hence, I am at a loss as to why my credit score on this free web-based measure comes out at a level which would see me struggle to get any of the credit cards listed on the site, even if I needed one!!!
Can you suggest how I go about checking out the credit data held, as I have had a number of my Clients have their e-mails and other affairs hacked - as a company, we suffer as much as 150 "hits" a day from scammers looking to penetrate our databases, so I am fully aware of the huge amount of attacks on private and corporate integrity going on, so I would appreciate any pointers, as this is my professional livelihood I am talking about, and but for the letter from TESCO, I could have been blissfully unaware, until I next came to obtain a Report in support of my annual statement of professional capability!!
Many thanks
Barrie Nunn

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Are you sure you're an IFA? Your credit score is entirely irrelevant. No one sees it but you.

You need to check your three files to ensure the data held on there is accurate.
  • abby1234519
    Options
    Dear MSE
    I have just registered as a new member, and took up the Free Experian Credit Report.
    I was shocked to find my score come out at 321 out of 999!!
    This, potentially, explains why my credit card provider recently advised intention to raise my credit limit, then promptly withdrew this offer before active date, due to "adverse information"!
    I am a professional IFA/Financial Consultant, and I am regulatorily obliged to have a Statement of Professional Standing, issued annually, in order to be able to retain my role as an Adviser.
    My credit report was reissued only 2-3 months ago, and my SPS issued, based on a "clean" Report from Experian or Equifax, and yet it seems something could have occurred which has impacted my credit rating.
    Personally, my Mortgage is up to date, I pay off my TESCO credit card statement religiously every month, anything from £1,500 to £3,000, I have a Halifax Affinitiy card which is Zero and paid off whenever used, I have a Personal Loan which is up to date, and have paid off previous loans without hiccup or arrears, and all my direct debits are up to date with utilities, Council, life companies, and so on.
    Hence, I am at a loss as to why my credit score on this free web-based measure comes out at a level which would see me struggle to get any of the credit cards listed on the site, even if I needed one!!!
    Can you suggest how I go about checking out the credit data held, as I have had a number of my Clients have their e-mails and other affairs hacked - as a company, we suffer as much as 150 "hits" a day from scammers looking to penetrate our databases, so I am fully aware of the huge amount of attacks on private and corporate integrity going on, so I would appreciate any pointers, as this is my professional livelihood I am talking about, and but for the letter from TESCO, I could have been blissfully unaware, until I next came to obtain a Report in support of my annual statement of professional capability!!
    Many thanks
    Barrie Nunn

The score is arbitrary - it means nothing. If you have nothing bad on your report - ie defaults then your credit history is in good standing.

The only credit score that matters is one issued by a lender. I'm pinching a wiser person's words here, can't remember who wrote it on the board a few days ago. But the credit report company don't issue you credit so it doesn't matter. One company might give you 321, but another 700 so really it is just arbitrary
    Money money money.

Debt
    Dec 2016: [STRIKE]£25,158.71[/STRIKE] £21,999.99

#28 Pay off debt in 2017 £3803.55
  • robber2
    Options
    Are you sure you're an IFA?

It would seem so;

https://www.linkedin.com/in/barrie-nunn-656b9a15

Hi Barrie,

most posters here choose a user name thats a little more discrete.

Rob
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    robber2 wrote: »
    It would seem so;

Hi Barrie,

Rob

:rotfl: this is why I hate the internet at times... far too easy to find people
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Options
    I find it quite amusing that an IFA doesn't know the irrelevance of the credit score, and needs to ask "Can you suggest how I go about checking out the credit data held" :rotfl:
  • Superscrooge
    Superscrooge Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 September 2016 at 5:50PM
    Options
    robber2 wrote: »
    It would seem so;

Hi Barrie,

Rob

It's also possible that the poster isn't an IFA, but has looked up the name of a random IFA to back up his claim to be an IFA .
  • robber2
    robber2 Posts: 558 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It's also possible that the poster isn't an IFA, but has looked up the name of a random IFA to back up his claim to be an IFA .

hmmm, interesting thought but it begs the question; why?
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is either a wind up or he is an extremely incompetent financial advisor!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure