Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• illustrateddame
    • By illustrateddame 12th Sep 16, 8:17 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 21Thanks
    Finally on the road to being debt free...
    • 12th Sep 16, 8:17 PM
    Finally on the road to being debt free... 12th Sep 16 at 8:17 PM
    It's only just this past month that I've realised how much debt i'm actually in. I'm so glad I did, otherwise I'd carry on the way I was for who knows how long. I actually can't remember the last time I wasn't trying to pay my card off.

I finally went through my statements and realised that I have amassed just over 12.5k over 5 CCs! I didn't even realise, I think because I just keep shifting the balance from my main CC, and sort of putting it to the back of my mind, so I "only" had the 3k that was left on that one. I think I had a mini heart attack when I realised the true amount. I dread to think how much money I have paid back to them that's gone basically nowhere.

I hope to be debt free in May next year, before my 30th, but a concern I have is that my family don't know how much debt I'm in, and I just constantly worry about them finding out. They know I have one credit card because they know I'm trying to pay it off, but it's so hard to tell them why I can't afford great Christmas or birthday presents, or when my partner is speaking about going on holiday again. It's so difficult to say no to things like that. I don't want to tell them and I don't want them to know. I'm disappointed enough in myself without adding them to it, and I know for sure my dad would hit the roof as he is a "if you don't have the cash for it you can't get it" man. If only I'd listened!

I guess I just wanted someone to know that I am getting on top of it now, without having to disappoint anyone when they find out the truth.

Page 2
    • illustrateddame
    • By illustrateddame 16th Oct 16, 11:11 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Thanks PMo2

Just hoping I don't get derailed by the OH wanting to go a holiday next year, since now he knows the extent of my debt he knows I can't afford it!
    Debt at 04/09/2016 = 12,757.68 / Debt today = 11,714.79
    DFD: May 2018 (hopefully!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,322Posts Today

7,435Users online

Martin's Twitter