Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 3rd Sep 16, 11:53 AM
    • 325Posts
    • 547Thanks
    Money Wasting Expert ?
    • 3rd Sep 16, 11:53 AM
    Money Wasting Expert ? 3rd Sep 16 at 11:53 AM
    Clueless at money-saving?
    Cash like water through your fingers?
    Couldn't organise a beer-tasting session at a brewery?
    Then this is the thread for you!

Please share examples of your everyday moneywasting here.

To get the ball rolling, here are some recent half-witted examples:

—Went out yesterday leaving the bathroom heater on all day.
    —Car written-off in May. Still paying the road tax because I can't find the V5 document to cancel it online.
    —I buy a 5-day bus ticket each week, but regularly lose it mid-week and have to buy another.
    —Purchased two pairs of trousers online. Didn't like either, but left it too late to return them. They'll probably end up going to a chazzer.
    —Come to think of it, I never seem to manage to return anything, ever.

Any of this sounding familiar?
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 09-09-2016 at 8:51 AM. Reason: Language
Page 3
    • Judi
    • By Judi 10th Sep 16, 7:54 PM
    • 13,545 Posts
    • 53,037 Thanks
    i bought that Spark Joy book by Marie Kondo. I could have taught her a thing or two.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 12th Sep 16, 1:45 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 2,469 Thanks
    I need help from you Money Saving Experts. I have just returned from a weekend in London. The posh hotel cost nothing, as we used Tesco tokens (Tokens I inherited from my late Mother). The hotel was usually over a hundred pound per night. The hotel tried to charge £12 a night for parking, but as I have a disabled son (blue badge) it was free. Toiletries were provided- no cost there. As we had a lie in on Saturday, we put the sign up, so we got a £5 voucher for making our own beds.
    I went to the Theatre on Saturday evening,I bought my ticket, just 15 minutes before the performance. I got front row at half price, that was the deal on the day ticket. Some kind member of the audience that sat behind me ( I was chatting to them before the play), bought me some chocolates. So, what did I do wrong?
    Tips x
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 12th Sep 16, 3:09 PM
    • 9,510 Posts
    • 16,990 Thanks
    I'm awful for wasting money, particularly on clothes. I've lost count of the amount of clothes I've bought which don't fit but I can't be bothered to return or stuff that I buy that I only wear once and then chuck in the charity bag. My mate does well out of me- we're a similar clothes size and she gets a lot of my cast offs
    What am I letting myself into Proud sponsor of a prop for the 16/17 season- welcome Mr W
    Thrilled and proud to have met my hero 13 and 15/05- thanks Fran!
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    Always Team V xx
    • MrsShazbat
    • By MrsShazbat 12th Sep 16, 9:50 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 1,402 Thanks
    My biggest waste is taking my lunch to work to save money. I either eat it at morning tea break just because it's there and I'm greedy, or I just don't fancy what I've brought in and go and buy lunch instead.
    Originally posted by squiggles
    Me too. Or someone suggests going to the pub.
    PAYDBX 2016 #71 £2557.25 / £4785 * Xmas 2016 #77 £358.80 / £366 * SPCNo.9 #066 £395.49
    Married to a bladder cancer and sepsis survivor
    • Lwsi
    • By Lwsi 12th Oct 16, 6:04 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    My biggest waste of money this year was spending £405 on a rail pass before planning my itinerary. The pass was for 10 journeys in a 30 day period, but as our holiday was only 12 days long, we would have struggled to get our money's worth anyway. When we rang to book the Eurostar we were told they could give us a better price without the pass, then tried to get a discount on the overnight train to Italy and the booking system wouldn't give accept the pass. To use the pass in Italy you have to book in advance and of course there's a £10 fee! So I probably got about £100 worth of free travel, making a substantial loss. Wish I'd known about "The man in seat 61" before buying the pass.
    • AnneMary
    • By AnneMary 12th Oct 16, 6:20 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Bad News - My iPad mini stopped working just before my holiday in May (I also used it as a kindle)
    Good News - I bought a two year extended waranty - haggled down in price considerably
    Bad News - I put the iPad in a safe place and couldn't find it when I came home
    Good News - My cupboards etc have never been so decluttered and organised
    Bad News - Still haven't found the iPad
    Good News - I found a pair of glasses, a multi-trip bus ticket to London and the waranty
    Bad News - Not insured for loss only for it not working for any reason

Still no iPad
    • catkins
    • By catkins 12th Oct 16, 8:31 AM
    • 5,020 Posts
    • 10,357 Thanks
    I am pretty good at not wasting money but I am guilty of leaving the tv on when I go out for my dogs. I also have a light on a timer which is partly for the dogs but also because I don't want to come in to a completely dark house if I get home late.

Oh and I also buy bottled water. I can't stand tap water and also prefer sparkling water
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • Judi
    • By Judi 12th Oct 16, 8:47 AM
    • 13,545 Posts
    • 53,037 Thanks
    Clothes. Not that I buy many but I buy them, hang them in the wardrobe without trying them on. 6 months later, go to wear them and they either don't fit or look hideous on me. Only half my meagre wardrobe I am positive will suit or fit me.

My Mother of the bride outfit. I'm ashamed to say how much it cost complete with hat, bag and shoes but it weighed a ton and it will never be worn again...ever.

Makeup. My biggest waste was eyeshadow as I love bright colours but I'm a bit old to be dressed as a painted doll, so now my waste is foundation. There's got to be one out there that will turn this old hag into a stunning beauty.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • fussypensioner
    • By fussypensioner 12th Oct 16, 9:45 AM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 3,882 Thanks
    If you have bought clothes that you have never worn and subsequently don't like, give them to someone you don't like for Christmas
    Holding back the years...
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 12th Oct 16, 10:02 AM
    • 5,268 Posts
    • 9,972 Thanks
    Another thing I waste money on is paracetamol, cold reliefs, decongestants and ibuprofen. MSE as I only buy the supermarket ones. But I take two tablets, lose the box and buy more.

There must be a medication vortex where these partly boxes go.
    Rejoined Slimming World 28/7/16
    Lost 2st 2lb first time Need to lose that again
    Lost 10lb 1st 6lb to go
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 12th Oct 16, 10:16 AM
    • 941 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    I'm not sure if it really classes as wasting money, because I enjoy it, but I do spend a ridiculous amount buying coffee on my way to work. I've got better recently and it's more of a weekly treat than part of my daily routine now but it's still quite scary when I add it up.
    • EvianBackwardsIsNaive
    • By EvianBackwardsIsNaive 12th Oct 16, 10:18 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Really just the lunch thing for me. I take my lunch in most days, and most days I eat it but every now and again I still go out and buy something that I fancy more than my usual. I think buying your lunch for work when at work every day is one of the easiest ways to waste. Same with breakfast, for the price of two pieces of toast from a caf!/sandwich shop you could buy a loaf.
    • EvianBackwardsIsNaive
    • By EvianBackwardsIsNaive 12th Oct 16, 10:20 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    I go through phases of doing this myself. It definitely IS a waste of money when you do it every day IMO, since you can make decent coffee at the office for a fraction of the price - I try to limit mine to a weekly treat too. I think this is okay for anybody who isn't struggling to the point where every penny counts.
    • h15t0r1an
    • By h15t0r1an 12th Oct 16, 10:45 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Er.... was that a sport exhaust for your SCOOTER ?
    • dw1
    • By dw1 12th Oct 16, 11:52 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Spent £100 on an under-floor heating kit for the bathroom - turns out it's illegal for anyone but a qualified electrician to install it, but I didn't fancy paying one a couple of hundred extra to do it, and then left it too long to take the kit back to the shop. Tried to sell it on eBay but nobody would even give me a tenner for it.

So now I have a worthless heating kit, £100 less and every time I go in the bathroom I'm reminded about it by the horrible cold tiled floor!
    • RedGoose
    • By RedGoose 12th Oct 16, 12:28 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 1,692 Thanks
    Daily coffee
    I used to do this too and have since reined myself back to once a week (twice a week if it's a rough week). It's much more of a treat this way!

My biggest waste is not being "tarty" with my bank and utility suppliers. I read all the e-mails and then can't be a--ed ...
    Sealed pot challenger#1677
    2012 total: £252.11/£200; 2013:£0/£250
    Virtual sealed pot challenger 2013 no.12: £25.97/£200
    • Dreamnine
    • By Dreamnine 12th Oct 16, 1:00 PM
    • 6,410 Posts
    • 10,882 Thanks
    Buying too many gadgets then buying more when something new comes along.

Not getting a good price for the old ones by selling them to a shop instead of on ebay.
    It is nexuses not nexi, dummy. And it's between you and me, not you and I.
    • tattycath
    • By tattycath 12th Oct 16, 1:08 PM
    • 6,599 Posts
    • 35,004 Thanks
    If you have bought clothes that you have never worn and subsequently don't like, give them to someone you don't like for Christmas
    Originally posted by fussypensioner
    I don't buy presents for people I don't like. When I look through my clothes and find some I've never worn, I sell them on FB or the bay.
    GE 36 *MFD December 2027-target 2020
    MFIT-T4 No 106
    EF £100/£2000 - PF £650- SSF £1,350
    Mortgage : £5,935/£10,000
    October: £45.00/£200
    October GC £65.75/£250
    Savercard Christmas savings £149/£288
    19/3/16 = 176lb
    • Labman20
    • By Labman20 12th Oct 16, 2:09 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    National Treasure
    My wife insists every year that we get the full family membership to the National Trust, about £100. We go to a National Trust property maybe once every 2 years. Really getting full value from that one dear.
    If the membership cards get taken out of the envelope we're doing well.
    • tattycath
    • By tattycath 12th Oct 16, 2:15 PM
    • 6,599 Posts
    • 35,004 Thanks
    My wife insists every year that we get the full family membership to the National Trust, about £100. We go to a National Trust property maybe once every 2 years. Really getting full value from that one dear.
    If the membership cards get taken out of the envelope we're doing well.
    Originally posted by Labman20
    I can relate to this.
    GE 36 *MFD December 2027-target 2020
    MFIT-T4 No 106
    EF £100/£2000 - PF £650- SSF £1,350
    Mortgage : £5,935/£10,000
    October: £45.00/£200
    October GC £65.75/£250
    Savercard Christmas savings £149/£288
    19/3/16 = 176lb
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,662Posts Today

6,528Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just changed my profile description. Wish I was cool and brave enough to go for one of those really short ones!

• Happy with my 15k time today, one of my fastest 1:18:56. Managing to keep up my 150k a month target.

• That's why I'm asking question. To see whether people perceive they are or aren't.

• Follow Martin