London Hotel

Options
Hi everyone,
Next September I have booked to go and see Harry Potter in London as a bit of a birthday present to myself. I'm meeting up with friends there to go and see the show, but fancied making a weekend of it, and splashing out on somewhere to stay that is a bit nicer than a Travelodge!

So, I'm after suggestions of nice places to stay, maybe a little upmarket, in or not far from zone 1, and worthy of a birthday weekend. I think I'll have between £300-500 to spend on accommodation, and if breakfast is included it would be a bonus! It would be for 2 or 3 nights (either a Saturday-Monday or Friday-Monday depending on £££).

My thinking process is the sooner I can get hotel booked and paid for/saved for, the sooner I can start saving spending money and shortlisting what else I'd like to do :)

Much obliged all!

Kirsty
Debt free on 2nd January 2015
Next savings goals:
£5k emergency fund
£4k holiday of a lifetime fund

Comments

• paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Have a look at the Doyle Collection hotels - particularly handy for you would be The Bloomsbury which is glorious, just behind The Dominion/Tottenham Court Road/Oxford St and then all of Soho and Theatreland is right there for you for the days you're just enjoying London for London's sake. I have to say The Bloomsbury is my favourite central hotel (and I stay at a lot of London hotels) - they all have small rooms, but the service is exceptional there.

If you want to stay further out of town, in Shepherds Bush is the K-West - the only hotel where I would be happy to spend a day in my room - all spacious, huge beds, sofa, and many rock'n'roll tours come through the hotel so it's often got a fun vibe.

Harry Potter expo is at the Warner Studios, so way out in Leavesden. If that's the main focus of your visit, maybe stay away from Central London, save your travel time.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,820 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    paddyrg wrote: »
    Harry Potter expo is at the Warner Studios, so way out in Leavesden. If that's the main focus of your visit, maybe stay away from Central London, save your travel time.

I think the OP is talking about the Harry Potter show at the Palace theatre in the West end rather than the studio tour
  • astra46
    astra46 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    Copthorne Tara Kensington is nice. Premier Inns are good in London too, we stay in Kensington Earls Court Premier Inn, good sized rooms.
  • w211
    w211 Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Download the "Hotel Tonight" app. Though it's designed for last minute bookings on the day (which you can probably get the best deal), you can book up to a week in advance.

There should be some really good deals within your budget. As examples, tonight, the Westbury in Mayfair is down from £227 to £149, the Athenaeum on Piccadilly, from £317 to £165.
  • KirstyO
    KirstyO Posts: 287 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    thanks for the tips everyone! Very helpful!

Yes my original post was in relation to the Harry Potter play at the Palace, but I am thinking I could also go and do the studio tour while I'm there. I know this is a way out of town but if I've got a whole day to meander out there, have the tour and get back again it's no stress for me really. I'm happy to do that rather than face the crowds at the tourist spots :)
    Next savings goals:
    £5k emergency fund
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    KirstyO wrote: »
    thanks for the tips everyone! Very helpful!

Yes my original post was in relation to the Harry Potter play at the Palace, but I am thinking I could also go and do the studio tour while I'm there. I know this is a way out of town but if I've got a whole day to meander out there, have the tour and get back again it's no stress for me really. I'm happy to do that rather than face the crowds at the tourist spots :)

Its a 15-20 minute train journey from Euston in London to Watford Junction on the fast train (don't get the slow one) and HP studios shuttle bus from outside there takes about 10 minutes to the studios. You have to book in advance angd get a time slot. Well worth a visit in my opinion. There is also a Holiday Inn express 2 mins from the train station. There is also The 5 star Grove Hotel spa and golf course is 3 miles away and you could get a taxi from the rank outside the train station.
    https://www.thegrove.co.uk/
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What would your arrival point into the city be? City Airport? Heathrow? Train terminus?

I plan my hotels around this, so that I can tumble off the train into the hotel, not carrying luggage all over town, and on day of departure, tumble out of hotel straight onto train, avoiding lots of baggage carrying again
  • KirstyO
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    not sure yet whether im flying or taking the train, depends how much the rail fares increase next year but either Euston or Heathrow. Wouldn't want to stay near Heathrow as it's a trek into central London and I imagine a fair old trek to Watford from there!
    Next savings goals:
    £5k emergency fund
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 August 2016 at 6:35PM
    Options
    KirstyO wrote: »
    either Euston or Heathrow. Wouldn't want to stay near Heathrow as it's a trek into central London and I imagine a fair old trek to Watford from there!

I should rephrase that. I wasn't suggesting staying at Heathrow.

It's been train every time on my recent trips, but when I was arriving at Heathrow, it was always straight onto the Heathrow Express, and into the Hilton at Paddington.

Perhaps I should have said "arrival point into the city centre" ...
  • KirstyO
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    understood googler, thanks for clarifying. If I do go into Heathrow i'm happy to go overground or underground, so that wouldn't have too much bearing on the final choice I don't think.
    Next savings goals:
    £5k emergency fund
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business