Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Rosie
    • By MSE Rosie 2nd Aug 16, 12:52 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 5Thanks
    MSE Rosie
    0 WOW
    Mastercard vs Visa vs Amex for using abroad - which wins?
    • 2nd Aug 16, 12:52 PM
    0 WOW
    Mastercard vs Visa vs Amex for using abroad - which wins? 2nd Aug 16 at 12:52 PM
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,
Page 1
    • 1trainer1
    • By 1trainer1 11th Oct 16, 11:23 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 1,727 Thanks
    1trainer1
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:23 AM
    Amex
    • 11th Oct 16, 11:23 AM
    I use Amex whenever i pay for my hotels abroad as they for me always offer competitive rates.

I mainly use them for Asia and the middle east and have never had a problem and to me their conversion has always worked in my favour
    Blessed on 18th February at 0814 with little Sarah xxx
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 11th Oct 16, 12:13 PM
    • 12,622 Posts
    • 10,727 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 11th Oct 16, 12:13 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 12:13 PM
    I carry a selection pack - I've been to cashpoints that will only accept one or another, and frankly having choices reduces risk
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 11th Oct 16, 12:41 PM
    • 5,057 Posts
    • 6,077 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 11th Oct 16, 12:41 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 12:41 PM
    I use Amex whenever i pay for my hotels abroad as they for me always offer competitive rates.

I mainly use them for Asia and the middle east and have never had a problem and to me their conversion has always worked in my favour
    Originally posted by 1trainer1
    Surely a MasterCard that doesn't charge an FX fee would be better by over 3.5% compared to your AMEX.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 11th Oct 16, 1:26 PM
    • 11,451 Posts
    • 15,320 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:26 PM
    • 11th Oct 16, 1:26 PM
    I carry a selection pack - I've been to cashpoints that will only accept one or another, and frankly having choices reduces risk
    Originally posted by paddyrg
    Same here. I usually travel with my wife who also has a selection pack of her own. All separate accounts so that the loss or blocking of one doesn't affect the others.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 12th Oct 16, 8:58 AM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 545 Thanks
    Roger1
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:58 AM
    • 12th Oct 16, 8:58 AM
    Surely a MasterCard that doesn't charge an FX fee would be better by over 3.5% compared to your AMEX.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    Of course it would, Visa too for that matter if very slightly less competitive.

And of course Visa and MC are far more widely accepted than AmEx.

AmEx conversions are a black art. Currencies seem to be converted into/out of USD for reasons that evade me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,077Posts Today

5,380Users online

Martin's Twitter