PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Made me laugh!

thriftwizard
thriftwizard Posts: 4,663 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 2 August 2016 at 4:36PM in Old style MoneySaving
Got a phone call from my friend this morning, asking if I could look in on her dogs a couple of times today. She's off to work, medieval-style; she does medieval cookery at one of our local National Trust properties, all swathed in linen & wool and over an open fire, with a spit. Today she's boiling up bones with vegetables & herbs to make a medieval "pottage". Which will cause hordes of curious children & their marvelling parents & grandparents to gasp in amazement and mutter about how quaint it all is, as well as asking questions along the lines of, "What kind of animal produces a duck egg...?"

I was happy to agree to look after her 3 daft hounds, because I'm spending a good portion of today in my kitchen, boiling up bones with vegetables & herbs to make "stock"...

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply! [purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)

Comments

• katsclaws
    katsclaws Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I've just put on chicken bones to make a stock during my lunch break (I work from home.) The stock is for our spoilt dogs to soften their dried food.
  • downshifter
    downshifter Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Haha! Me too, it's freezing today so I've just been pressure cooking some bones, veg and herbs for soup for tonight! Interesting that even grandparents make those comments - I used to volunteer at a museum where we did similar things and the grandparents were the ones that would say, oooh look at that, we used to have one of those, I think I've still got it somewhere - mostly about some piece of household equipment.

Perhaps I'm now so old that it's the great grandparents who now say those kinds of things.
  • Tipsntreats
    Tipsntreats Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi thriftwizard, my Dorset friend. In those medieval times, they let the dogs in the kitchens!
    Am I the only one that simmers the bones all day in my slow cooker?
    I also thought you might have picked up on the thread in the Craft section, about sewing fleece. I was the only one to answer, and as you know, I know nothing! Oh yes, I solved the tapping noise.
    Tips
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Am I the only one that simmers the bones all day in my slow cooker?

I always use the SC after letting stock boil dry a couple of times
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • thriftwizard
    Slow cooker works well for stock, but I had 4 reasonably-sized chicken carcasses to reduce; even though I have a big SC, I wouldn't be able to fit all four PLUS veg in there! Big household here; 7 active adults plus livestock, everything has to be bought in sacks and cooked in vats!

T&T - don't think I've ever wandered over to the Crafts section - off now to try to find it! Glad your noise is sorted out now.
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Reminds me of helping look after a group of inner city kids being shown a farm, they couldn't believe that milk came out of cows udders, and one young lad swore he would never eat an egg again as he thought that hens poo'd them - bless..

I used to be part of the Sealed Knot and was amazed at the time and detail some of the re enactors put into their 'crafts' - good times :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • thriftwizard
    I know - I'm potentially in the frame for demonstrating spinning & weaving at the same venue. But they'll need to be satisfied first that I can dress exactly right for the period, right down to underthings! (Though it'd take me half a lifetime to spin & weave it all myself, especially the flax) And whilst spindle-spinning's not a problem, I'd need some practice to look competent on a Great Wheel...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure