moral/legal dilemma

to cut a long story short - I bought some clothing on-line from a small company. They messed up the order, sent the wrong item - and it then took me ages to contact them - they didn`t answer phone or reply to emails. Eventually they agreed to send a replacement - which came, and I sent the wrong item back to them.

I have just discovered that they have also refunded me for the returned item - which they shouldn`t have done as I have the replacement.

I am very tempted to keep quiet about the refund (£60+) because of all the hassle they caused. I will of course return it if they ever realise what they have done.

Any thoughts.

Comments

• merrydance
    merrydance Posts: 653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Personally I would tell them, I'd always have the niggle that they would find out anyway. You never know they might let you keep it.
  • janeke
    janeke Posts: 100 Forumite
    You probably are right merrydance - they seem to be incredibly disorganised. I think they are a smallish shop which has dipped its toe into internet selling and really shouldn`t have! I won`t be dealing with them again!
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,890 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    janeke wrote: »

I have just discovered that they have also refunded me for the returned item - which they shouldn`t have done as I have the replacement.

I am very tempted to keep quiet about the refund (£60+) because of all the hassle they caused. I will of course return it if they ever realise what they have done.

Any thoughts.

Yes, my thoughts are that it would be dishonest to keep quiet and not tell them.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • janeke
    janeke Posts: 100 Forumite
    Well - I emailed them yesterday to say they have refunded me in error - so far absolutely no response!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure