New bed questions

Options
Hello all

I went down to the town this afternoon to lie on a few mattresses. The salesman said that the new mattresses these days don't need turning anymore. Does anyone know if that is true? Or is it just a ploy so the repeat business comes round quicker!? I thought turning the mattress was what extended it's life.

I was going to buy the mattress only but the divans only cost about £100 more so I think it would be nice to have the whole bed renewed. (The cats have ruined my current base) I realise this is a money saving site but I am quite happy to pay a decent amount for a bed as I spend so long in it.

My previous 2 beds have been sealy posturepedic and I have been very happy with them so am thinking of going for the same again. Does anyone have any opinion on whether this is m best option or if there is anything equivalent that is worth having a look at please?

Also they said that they wouldn't take the old bed away so what have people done about that please? I really don't want to put my old mattress out for the council to collect as it's in a bit of an embarrassing condition!

Mortgage and debt free :)

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    My mattress still needs turned from side to side and came with precise instructions.

The council workers won't care what the old one looks like
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    We went Tempur 15cm combi and very happy with it

Jan 2004 still going,

The guest is vi-spring classic supreme bought at the same everyone that uses it says it is very comfortable

Sale £900 for both.

What about going ottoman base for extra storage.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mine is brand new and lovely, but like the poster above, it has instructions on it to turn it every three months.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Depends on the mattress. If the mattress has a built in topper you can't flip them but you can rotate it.
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
  • xyz123
    xyz123 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd it has latex or memory foam on top then it can't be rotated...
  • misty6
    misty6 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I just need to make a decision - always the hardest part for me :)
    Mortgage and debt free :)
  • Annie1960
    Annie1960 Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My mattress, which has springs inside and memory foam on top, does not need to be turned upside down, but I rotate it top to bottom. It's five years old now, and still excellent condition.
  • Andrew_Ryan_89
    Options
    If price is a concern, try beds.co.uk. I got a king size, with mattress for less than £200.

Trade off is that the instructions are not the best at all.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We have had both Silentnight and Slumberland divan sets ,in the past and found that they last well.

You can get bargains when the new ranges come out and dealers want to clear out the old cover designs.

Sprung edged bases are more comfortable, if you flop down onto them and are also more gentle if you fall out of bed (as they help you slide gradually; our little dogs will confirm this )
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If price is a concern, try beds.co.uk. I got a king size, with mattress for less than £200.

Trade off is that the instructions are not the best at all.

Beds come with instructions now?:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport