PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Dessert ideas

Options
Hello lovely people,

I'm after some dessert inspiration for tomorrow night please!

I'm on a budget and need to come up with a pudding for 8!

I already have most 'baking' store cupboard ingredients (sugars, flours etc) and have some assorted mixed fruits in the freezer. I can stretch to maybe another £5 of ingredients.

It also needs to travel well after being made or easy to make once I'm at my friends house tomorrow afternoon (I can easily take over her kitchen if necessary!)

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks
HJ
Getting myself back on track! Pay off debt and save deposit time!

Comments

• Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pineapple upside down cake - easy and cheap if you use canned pineapple rings.

Any kind of choccie cake with buttercream icing.

To be honest - the world is your oyster... you need to narrow the options by suggesting what you do and don't want.
    :hello:
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How about some hints on what's the main, plus what you have in already?
  • heyjude2013
    heyjude2013 Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Tiddylywinks for your reply. I guess I normally do more 'baking' and want more 'pudding' if that makes sense!

Like the sound of pineapple upside down cake and could maybe do with cream/custard for to make more pudding-y!
  • heyjude2013
    Options
    Sorry Suki I didn't see your message! I have no idea what is for main I'm afraid...I doubt the friend who is cooking has decided yet!

I have most store cupboard baking ingredients, some dried fruit, some frozen berries, lots of spices, some milk that could do with being used up before we head away for the night. Other than that store cupboards are fairly bare!
  • Tiddlywinks
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    'Pudding' means different things depending on where you come from.

The list is endless.

Sticky toffee, suet, spotted !!!!, rhubarb crumble... all the usual school dinner types.

Or then there are the more grown-up puds like Key Lime pie, lemon drizzle, cheesecake etc.

Or... trifle, apple pie and custard, home made ice cream or sorbet.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Options
    Fave puds where I work are

Pavlova

Cheesecake

And a hot pud,like sticky toffee, chocolate fudge cake

How about doing enough of each to satisfy everyone Ice cream will do as topping plus do as a pud for those that don't do dessert
  • Tiddlywinks
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sorry Suki I didn't see your message! I have no idea what is for main I'm afraid...I doubt the friend who is cooking has decided yet!

You could do with knowing though as the dessert needs to balance with the main course.

If the meal turns out to be heavy pasta based and then you follow with a suet pud then that might be a bit OTT and hard to manage.

On the flip of this, a simple fish dish with just a salad might then leave you fancying something warm and filling.

It's hard to make suggestions with so little to go on.
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    White chocolate cheese cake. Blitz pack of Aldi bourbons (22p I think)and add to about 2oz of butter or spread (melted). Press into a spring firm cake tin or quiche dish and chill.
    Whip a small tub of double cream (65p ish) until it forms peaks and then whip in 3/4 tub of Aldi cream cheese (about 45p).
    Melt 3/4 of a bar of Aldi essentials white chocolate (30p)and fold into the cream mixture. Spoon on to the base and spread out so it's even and chill for at least a couple of hours but the longer the better.
    Melt rest of the chocolate and drizzle it over the top in zig zag type stripes ( looks nice and needs no skill:):)) and chill to set the chocolate.
    It's very rich and real tasty and will serve 8. If you don't like white chocolate it works with milk or plain.
    Enjoy your dinner :)
    PP x
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,177 Forumite
    Options
    if you have frozen fruit and need to use up milk, how about a fruit brulee? Layer of fruit, layer of baked custard, layer of caramel.
  • heyjude2013
    Options
    Thanks all! I'm leaning towards the White chocolate cheesecake and using some of the fruits I've go for a compote!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure