PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2016 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can I be in for July for £120 please? Need to get back on track after hols etc :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I join, funnily enough I do most of the tips that were mentioned in the first few posts, but have gone over budget two months in a row so need to curb it!!

There's just me and my boyfriend, we set the budget at £185 for the month, I am aiming for £165 in July. But my food budget is from the 27th to the 26th (I get paid on the 27th) so will begin on Monday. This will include toilletries as well.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • ChezzaE
    ChezzaE Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    hi guys completely new to this but need to get control of my shopping budget ,I feel atm its a complete mess ,literally have no idea what I spend my money on. I just know there is definitely not enough month at the end of my money and that needs to change. There is four of us, DS and DD are both still in nappies and DS is allergic to dairy which pushes the bills up a bit. Will be starting 1ST OF JULY, so that gives me till next Friday to do a complete stocktake.
    this is my time to take charge and make life better :j
  • mrssnowy_2
    mrssnowy_2 Posts: 403 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Sorry I can't join as life has got in the way.
    Mum is proper poorly,and I am her main carer.Keeping her comfortable and just a matter of time now.

mrss
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 June 2016 at 7:01AM
    Options
    Mrssnowy, I'm so sorry to have just read about your mum. Sending you both my best wishes at a hard time for you.

First shop of the July challenge yesterday covered tinned and frozen goods, dog food, milk and meat to freeze. £47.00 down so far.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear that MRSSNOWY XXX:(
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Scrimps
    Scrimps Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 June 2016 at 5:35PM
    Options
    Sorry to hear that mrssnowy! Take care

We have just got back from Aldi (29.49) and sainsburys (13.20 - inc 4.50 on overpriced cat food! - but she is very fussy!)

Editing to add another sainburys shop of 3.45 as I forgot a couple of bits....I did cycle rather than drive...which is another challenge as we have been going over our fuel budget (cycle to work and no kids to ferry around so dont know how that has been happening!!)

I went through the cheap recipe index yesterday and saved a few recipes I liked the look of to a word doc. Then promptly closed the doc without saving it - fool!

I do remember the cranberry beef so I will be making that which uses up an open jar of cranberry jelly. I will make pie with the leftovers - we have flour tp make the pastry which should help keep things cheap and filling.

Im making flapjacks for DH for snacks for the week, he has a 28" waist and is always hungry so im guessing that its because he doesnt eat enough. Im making leek and potato soup for snacks for myself because I dont have a 28" waist but am always hungry :rotfl:

So in theory, it should be NSD to next shopping day - I shall keep you updated to keep myself accountable.
  • Happytravelling
    Options
    Thanks again for the new thread :beer:
    For July, my target is £120 which is around the average daily budget of June, taking account of 10 days away (food on holiday is budgetted separately)
    August 2016 GC £249.70/£150
    July 2016 GC £114.03/ £120
    June 2016 GC
    £170.09/ £175
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The reason my partner and I need to keep a watchful eye on our food shopping budget is up until the last two months we were having our food shopping substantially subsidised by his parents. Because they have all these special debit cards/membership cards/loyalty cards they always did a monthly food shop for us as my partner and I don't drive, and are on low earnings. We always tried to pay for out own shopping, on one occasion we were at the till just about to pay, but they always stop us because they are financially very well off and they wanted to help us. Which is very kind and of course appreciated, but they are in their 60s and wanting to retire and also although I'm a bit younger my boyfriend is in his 30s! So we did feel a bit uneasy about it.

However recently my boyfriends dad injured himself at home so they haven't been doing a food shop for us, so my partner and I are doing it ourselves.

We set the budget at £185 as that seemed reasonable, but in May we went over by £39.91 and today we ended the food budget month £42.53 over budget. Maybe we are being unrealistic in our budget and the two of us should be spending around £225 a month, but I'm very much of the Jack Monroe £10 a week camp and think we can do it.

Just ordered a new Morrison's food shop, on the basis the money will probably come out of my account tomorrow therefore i feel it technically counts as next months shop. £84.01 including the 50p delivery. It will be arriving between 6-7am on tuesday, but i'm always looking for an excuse to get up early, and they were already delivering to someone in my area at that time so it's better for the environment as well.

Good luck everyone. X
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • donkids22
    donkids22 Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi can i join in please i Know we spend roughly 70 a week so my target is 280.Hopefully i can get lower but its a good place to start.
    If you dream it can you do it????????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport