PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

After death of a council tenant, who's liable for the rent?

Options
My step father, who was a council tenant, recently passed away. My mum had lived with him until she was admitted to a care home with dementia. When he was diagnosed with terminal cancer, I took over paying his rent etc. from a joint current account he asked me to open. When I phoned the council to notify them of his death, I was told that we could have time to clear the house, but that housing benefit would cease from the date of his death, and thereafter the full rent of just over £200 per week would be payable.
So, can someone please advise me, am i liable to pay this? My name wasn't and has never been on the tenancy, and I didn't live there. My step dads savings were just enough to cover his and my mums funeral expenses, and her only income is her state pension which goes to paying her care fees.

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    No you aren't liable although the council may say you are. If he has no estate then there is no money and the debt dies with him.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • thequant
    thequant Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    Options
    mariat wrote: »
    My step father, who was a council tenant, recently passed away. My mum had lived with him until she was admitted to a care home with dementia. When he was diagnosed with terminal cancer, I took over paying his rent etc. from a joint current account he asked me to open. When I phoned the council to notify them of his death, I was told that we could have time to clear the house, but that housing benefit would cease from the date of his death, and thereafter the full rent of just over £200 per week would be payable.
    So, can someone please advise me, am i liable to pay this? My name wasn't and has never been on the tenancy, and I didn't live there. My step dads savings were just enough to cover his and my mums funeral expenses, and her only income is her state pension which goes to paying her care fees.

This one is simple, as I have had this one before.

technically the council is correct HB ceases as the point of death, but as I was told when it happened to me, (or technically my father failed to give notice he was leaving the property due to death)

Just tell them to fff off, most councils will leave at that. the ones that wont are easily scared into writing it off with a threat to call in the local papers.

Just to reiterate, under the rules they are technically correct in what they are doing (They cant take the money from you, but from your fathers estate). But it's the whole callousness of them them saying "you failed to give notice" why they don't deserve a penny.

P.s. from that experience I now why chairs are screwed down in the HB department,.
  • thequant
    thequant Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    Options
    No you aren't liable although the council may say you are. If he has no estate then there is no money and the debt dies with him.

correct, spot on
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    Did any relative live there with mum/dad?? In particular in the 12 months prior to his death? If so they may have the right to succeed the tenancy which may be worth serious money..
  • densol_2
    densol_2 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Options
    You wont be liable for rent up to your s dad death - but you have " asked for time " to clear out his belongings. I know how hard that can be sometimes ( took me 18 months for my dad although house owned ) The trouble is the council are granting ' you' the additional time. Id imagine if they decided, they could just send in contractors to clear the place, so its best to clear the place as soon as and hope the council " waive " any rent technically due.
    Stuck on the carousel in Disneyland's Fantasyland :D

I live under a bridge in England
    Been a member for ten years.
    Retired in 2015 ( ill health ) Actuary for legal services.
  • Adereterial
    Options
    Sorry for you loss.

His estate is liable - if there's any money in his estate once his funeral expenses are paid, you'll need to pay the council and any other debts from that money, before distributing any inheritances. If there is no money, the debt dies with him.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    densol wrote: »
    The trouble is the council are granting ' you' the additional time. Id imagine if they decided, they could just send in contractors to clear the place

Hmm. Surely the tenancy has passed to the executors, and they're only liable to the extent of the assets in the estate? And if the council wants to regain possession they need to go through the usual procedures, they can't just walk in.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If he has no estate then there is no money and the debt dies with him.

True, but it sounds like he does have estate as his
    mariat wrote: »
    savings were just enough to cover his and my mums funeral expenses

His funeral expenses get priority, the rest of his savings don't, even if he had earmarked them for his wife's funeral. That's assuming the account is in his sole name.
  • Shelldean
    Shelldean Posts: 2,395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Had the same issue. Nan who was a council tenant on housing benefits died bank holiday Saturday. We went and notified the council on the Tuesday. Woman thought I was there to return the keys!!! When she realised that wasn't the case she demanded the house be returned to them by Friday. My Nan had lived there for over eighty years so not a quick task.
    Told her not a chance I had a death to register plus funeral to arrange us all the other stuff you need to do. Plus I had four kids I needed to care for.
    Finally agreed three Fridays time, giving us just under three weeks. A deadline we met just.

Council did Bill the estate, but lack of funds meant it didn't get paid. They did try and.persuade me to pay. And even sent several reminders!!! Just kept repeating no money in estate and they eventually stopped.

The estate is liable not you!!! Any money left once funeral is paid should be used. But online from sole accounts, anything in joint accounts passes to the other account holder and is not.included.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    While it is absolutely accurate that the debt is the estate's, and if there's insufficient assets to clear the debt, the debt will go unpaid, there's one other factor to consider...

There is a massive shortage of local authority housing. The longer the property is out of action, the longer until somebody in need of it can move in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure