PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Argh, I thought I had a good deal for a mortgage...

Options
Sorry, just have to vent my frustration a little. We are buying a house, everything is set up fine. Today I met the independent mortgage broker and he was able to find a really good deal. I was so happy, because the monthly repayments were lower than expected, and we are on a tight monthly budget - so every little surplus is most welcome.

Well, but then later on he emailed me and told me that for this mortgage, one has to have resided at least 3 years in the UK to get it. Well, we've moved here in August 2013, i.e. roughly 2.5 years ago :(

We lived in the UK earlier (2004-2008), but I guess that doesn't count...

Probably nothing we can do except take the "next best" available mortgage, which may again be a comparably poor deal...

Not really a question, I know, but I'm just frustrated a bit....

Comments

• vlad
    vlad Posts: 544 Forumite
    Options
    Can you find a "whole of market" broker? they may have access to deals other brokers don't have.
  • andre_xs
    andre_xs Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, it is an independent broker whole of market broker. I'm sure he'll be able to get another deal, but based on our previous discussions, this may be more than £100/month more...
  • marksoton
    marksoton Posts: 17,516 Forumite
    Options
    So ask your broker to research the market again.

You can't really expect the cream of the crop of rates if you can't prove consistency can you?

Lenders want security. Continent hopping doesn't provide that.
  • mgarl10024
    Options
    You could ask your broker to speak to the lender? If you're low risk in every other way, they might accept 2.5yrs.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Many lenders won't lend unless you have a three year UK address history.

I can think of four which accept two years or less but they may not have the best deal of the type the OP requires. That's just the way it goes unfortunately. You have to meet the lender's criteria, affordability and loan to value requirements.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • andre_xs
    andre_xs Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. It wasn't the best deal anyway (due to the limitations in LTV etc), but it was good average (instead of the bottom, as before). I spoke to the broker today again, and he was positive that he'll get a good deal for me.

I was just frustrated yesterday, feeling much better today :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure