Driving for uber

Options
Hi, i just found out about this company, just wondered if anyone has worked for them and is it worthwhile? I already have a job and could do this part time, many thanks.
2016 Money challenge - £290

Comments

• Dan83
    Dan83 Posts: 672 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a taxi firm isn't it? you will need a taxi licence from you local council, a taxi that has passed the relevant tests and insurance
  • wayne1983
    wayne1983 Posts: 1,511 Forumite
    Options
    No idea, all im told its like a an app for your phone, and you do the work through that. Im led to believe you dont need a taxi licence to do this, although i dont know enough about it to give an definite answer. :)
    Dan83 wrote: »
    It's a taxi firm isn't it? you will need a taxi licence from you local council, a taxi that has passed the relevant tests and insurance
    2016 Money challenge - £290
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    You will need to be registered with your local council as a Taxi Driver or a Private Hire Driver. You will need to have (or rent) a vehicle registered with the local council as a Taxi or Private Hire Carriage and insured for Hire and Reward business use. You will need to have an office (can be your home) and register as a Taxi or Private Hire Operator with your local council.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've read a few stories online, some reckon they only earned just above minimum wage net, others saying you can make £20 an hour or so.

I think it really depends on when you want to work, at least you have the freedom to pick and choose your hours, although the hours you pick may not be very busy so earnings may be low.

Google "uber driver salary" for plenty of real life stories.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • johnmondin81
    Options
    I'm a driver for Uber and it's great. Helps pays off my bills and definitely is a side income that I would've never dreamed possible.
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Uber is a private taxi company basically. You use an app to book a nearby driver. So you need to go their website and look for information I suppose.
    ally.
  • w211
    w211 Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 January 2016 at 3:46AM
    Options
    You will need to have an office (can be your home) and register as a Taxi or Private Hire Operator with your local council.

You will not need to register as an operator, as you'll be working under Uber's (Sheffield's) operating licence.

All the info you need can be found here:

http://www.driveuberuki.com/our-cities/sheffield

Though how much you'll be earning (after expenses) will mostly depend on luck, ability and experience.
  • mizrahman26
    Options
    there are loads of drivers on this now but you can make a lot of money when the hours are put in
  • wkdboi
    wkdboi Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    w211 wrote: »
    You will not need to register as an operator, as you'll be working under Uber's (Sheffield's) operating licence.

All the info you need can be found here:

http://www.driveuberuki.com/our-cities/sheffield

Though how much you'll be earning (after expenses) will mostly depend on luck, ability and experience.

Sorry but you're wrong, I trust you ACTUALLY read the website??

What are the licensing requirements to drive with Uber in South Yorkshire?

Currently we are working under an Operating Licence from Sheffield.

Therefore we are only able to partner with drivers that have Private Hire licences from Sheffield.
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    wkdboi wrote: »
    Sorry but you're wrong, I trust you ACTUALLY read the website??

What are the licensing requirements to drive with Uber in South Yorkshire?

Currently we are working under an Operating Licence from Sheffield.

Therefore we are only able to partner with drivers that have Private Hire licences from Sheffield.

Seems pretty clear to me what he said.

He said you wont need to register as an operator which is confirmed in your post as it states Uber are working under an operating licence from Sheffield.

Nothing in his post mentioned the private hire licence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure