CV help please

Options
After 23 years working with same company I am about to be made redundant. I am actually quite pleased about this as I was finding the hours( 48 hr week) and the work ( semi skilled maunual work) were becoming a problem. I am 58yeasrs old and looking forward to a better work/ life balance.
My problem is I would like a part time job in a shop or something similar but they all require a CV. I have never written one in my life and don't know where to start. I have looked online but all the examples seem to apply to graduates or executive jobs. My only other employment was a couple of years of basic office work in 1980s and then I was a stay at home mom until my present job 23 years ago.
Could someone please give me an idea of what to put in a CV in my situation?
Thanks

Thanks
Sealed Pot Challenge No. 018

Comments

• jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    This was the first (free) hit I got, and looks adequate.
    http://cv.livecareer.co.uk//builder/load.aspx#

The important bit is to know what the job you are applying for is looking for. For example, I would imagine that a retail operation will emphasize customer service and relations skills. So these are the sort of things you should list in the bullet point which I can just see is called 'key achievements' in the example on the site above.
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Flyonthewall
    Flyonthewall Posts: 4,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CVs examples apply to everyone, you just tailor it to include your qualifications and experience.

So you start off with a personal statement along the lines of you're hardworking, transferable skills (i.e. skills you have that could be used in another job as you wish to go from manual to retail. e.g. communication.) and basically a small paragraph or two that sells yourself and your skills/positive points.

Then you write down employment. So dates (start and finish), employer, job title and a small paragraph or few bullet points detailed what you did in that job. (I'd suggest bullet points might be best if you wish to pad out the CV a bit due to only two places of employment).

Sometimes people won't bother including jobs many years ago, but it your case I'd suggest adding it as it'll show other skills you've gained.

After that include any qualifications you have. Doesn't matter how long ago they were, include them anyway, especially Maths and English.

If you want you could add a hobbies/interest paragraph at the bottom. If you have any hobbies or interests that have specific skills you can relate to a job this is the place to add them. Keep it short, again a paragaph is fine.

There is no right or wrong way to set out a CV, people prefer different layouts. So just keep it clear and to the point and make sure you include everything.

Once written double check spelling and grammar and it's best to ask someone else to check it over (doesn't have to be a professional, just a friend or family member is fine).

A CV shouldn't be longer than 2 pages. If it's only 1 page that's perfectly fine.

On some applications or in interview they may ask you about gaps, which in this case would be when you a stay at home Mum. You can make that a positive thing to employers as it requires plenty of skills that are transferable. Time keeping, organisation and so on.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,541 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Aren't your employers offering any assistance with things like CV creation. Alternatively, speak to your local Job Centre. A CV is pretty much a standard requirement by the JC and if you haven't ever created one before they will help.
  • Carl31
    Carl31 Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Already some excellent advice from Fly... just remember it needs to be clear and concise, my preference when receiving CVs, and often used by agencies when they edit the CV, is to bullet key points and achievements, anything can be expanded on at interview if needed.
  • cheekyweegit
    cheekyweegit Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You might find this booklet helpful. When I used to work in the job centre we gave it out to new claimants, it's got lots of useful easy to read information regarding not only looking for work but writing your CV, a covering letter and interview tips plus more,

I'm mot sure if this is still given out in hard copy now but you should be able to print a hard copy from the link.

http://www.pwc.co.uk/assets/pdf/jobkit.pdf

Finally good luck in your new adventures.
  • airportgirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. As I am going to take my final salary pension I will not be claiming jsa so will not really visit job centre.
    I need a part time job until my state pension age. I think I have worked out a CV and my brother has offered to read through it.
    I am planning to visit my local shopping centre next week and handing in CV to suitable shops. Do you think this would be too soon as I am not available to start work until February 1st?
    Sealed Pot Challenge No. 018
  • Flyonthewall
    Flyonthewall Posts: 4,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. As I am going to take my final salary pension I will not be claiming jsa so will not really visit job centre.
    I need a part time job until my state pension age. I think I have worked out a CV and my brother has offered to read through it.
    I am planning to visit my local shopping centre next week and handing in CV to suitable shops. Do you think this would be too soon as I am not available to start work until February 1st?

If not claiming avoid the Job Centre completely. They won't help you.

No, it's not too soon. Best to start applying asap. Feb 1st is only a month away.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,541 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Do you already have sufficient National Insurance contributions to provide for full state pension i.e. 35 years worth of contributions? If not, it may be worth signing on for JSA just for the NI credits. Your pension may wipe out any actual cash payment on JSA.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Just remember they may direct you to the employers website.

Any retail parks near you, have a look on the firms websites who are on the retail parks.
  • rich_jtg
    rich_jtg Posts: 316 Forumite
    Options
    The National Careers Service is very useful.

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/

If you have an office near you they'll give you help creating a CV, or you can ring for advice.

There's also a CV builder on their website.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure