PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What’s the most amazing thing your parents have done for you?

Options
What’s the most amazing thing your parents have done for you?

Taken from the WaterAid website but it occurred to me that we'd have lots of examples to share with each other to make life a little more pleasant for the next generation.
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nothing I can think of, so will have to read what others write in case it reminds me of something.
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    Options
    Gave me life.
  • tooties
    tooties Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    the one and only thing either of my parents has like Loneranger is given me life, after that i have been cast aside so i suppose making me independent is another.

regards
    :j
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not swallowing.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 January 2016 at 5:40PM
    Options
    My mum and I wind each other up something rotten but I do appreciate everything she has done and continues to do for me.

When I was a kid she'd ferry me around to and from a million clubs (drama, horse riding, swimming, dance, viola, flute etc) that she could barely afford to give me a "rounded life". I complained at the time but now I'm so grateful for all the experiences.

She also worked her bum off to support us after my father left which meant we had to have au pairs during my teens. Again, hindsight is a wonderful thing and I felt cast aside and rejected and didn't see the sacrifices she made to keep everything going at home. I remember seeing her coming in from a 13 hour day running her business only to go to bed with a manual to prepare for the next day.

Recently my mum, sister and in laws have lent us huge sums of money to help us with our new house when the mortgage company reduced their offer by £25k at the 11th house. In laws are adamant they don't want it back, but we are adamant we will pay it back!

Tomorrow in laws are coming round to help us with DIY. Every weekend they feed and water us and offer kind and non-judgemental advice when things are tricky. When OH gets on my nerves I remember that without him I wouldn't have them in my life :rotfl:

I can only hope I am as helpful to DD, and when our parents are older that they let us have a turn at supporting them, however that may be.

(My father on the other hand is a complete and utter ****...)
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Way too many things to mention here.

Only today dad came over to jump start my car as I had left the interior light on ( having knocked it in by accident yesterday) :mad:

I'm very lucky, my parents have always been very good to me.

Will read other ideas with interest

Bexster :)
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As a child my mother always told me I could be / do anything I wanted - she believed in me and although I didn't realise at the time, her faith in me built my faith in myself and in effect created a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I hope to do the same for my children, I believe it's made me a strong, grounded woman who can deal with life's flak with hopefully good grace.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Andypandyboy
    Andypandyboy Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    Options
    My parents were role models for how I have parented my kids. They gave unconditional love, tempered with a moral compass, sound advice and appropriate boundaries. They believed in us, and believed we would live up to that trust. They never took our sides unless it was justified and they were not afraid to say we were wrong.

In my formative years they weren't my friends, they were my parents. They helped us on the property ladder and gave our kids unconditional love too. If we called they were there, but in a spirit of giving not in a doormat way.

Both long gone now, I miss them everyday.
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They taught me to be honest ,
    its easier than lying...cause you dont have to think much ( to cover yourself,if you're lie)
    And to think positive and dont dwell on the past.
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    nowt...both my parents are horrible
    onwards and upwards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills