Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TBeckett100
    • By TBeckett100 27th Aug 07, 11:56 AM
    • 4,460Posts
    • 3,757Thanks
    TBeckett100
    0 WOW
    10 Places for a proposal in New York
    • 27th Aug 07, 11:56 AM
    0 WOW
    10 Places for a proposal in New York 27th Aug 07 at 11:56 AM
    I have chosen the Tiffany ring now, so need a venue in New York to as the question. Apart from the cliche empire state, can anyone suggest a place or top restaurant (with a view) to hand over the ring. Your help is greatly appreciated, Tom
Page 1
  • duckcity
    • 27th Aug 07, 1:15 PM
    • 27th Aug 07, 1:15 PM
    Top of the Rock at night.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 27th Aug 07, 1:25 PM
    • 23,190 Posts
    • 10,539 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 27th Aug 07, 1:25 PM
    • 27th Aug 07, 1:25 PM
    I would have thought the airport when you get there.
    If she turns you down dump her there and tell her to find her own way home whilst you enjoy New York.

I am of of course only joking and desperately trying to avoid the things my wife is throwing at me for merely suggesting such a thing!!!
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 27th Aug 07, 1:27 PM
    • 30,267 Posts
    • 35,820 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 27th Aug 07, 1:27 PM
    Romantic Ways to Propose

The moment has arrived when you've found the person you want to spend the rest of your life with. You're ready to ask that big question, it has to be perfect, and dinner at '21' is the place.

After all, you wouldn't be the first person to propose at '21'. Screen legend Humphrey Bogart proposed to Lauren Bacall at his favorite table in the Bar Room of '21' and many others have followed in his footsteps.

Our team of highly trained professionals are on hand to work with you to plan every last detail, including hiding the ring in a specially prepared dessert.

http://www.21club.com/web/onyc/onyc_c4g_question.jsp
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • se999
    • By se999 27th Aug 07, 1:27 PM
    • 2,405 Posts
    • 13,455 Thanks
    se999
    Saw your post and remembered the romantic topten on the New York tourist info website:

http://www.nyctourist.com/topten_romantic.htm
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 27th Aug 07, 1:29 PM
    • 30,267 Posts
    • 35,820 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 27th Aug 07, 1:29 PM
    • 27th Aug 07, 1:29 PM
    10 ideas here

http://manhattan.about.com/od/manhattanweddings/tp/proposalspots.htm
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • floyd
    • 27th Aug 07, 2:38 PM
    • 27th Aug 07, 2:38 PM
    Get a little rowboat and row her to the middle of Central Park lake. It will be quiet and a bit more personal than being jostled by tourists at the top of the rock or Empire State building.
    • Teahfc
    • By Teahfc 27th Aug 07, 2:51 PM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 1,996 Thanks
    Teahfc
    • 27th Aug 07, 2:51 PM
    • 27th Aug 07, 2:51 PM
    Book to a show and tell the theatre in advance and then nip off to the Bathroom but in fact onto the stage at half time and announce it there in front of everyone !
    • TBeckett100
    • By TBeckett100 27th Aug 07, 3:13 PM
    • 4,460 Posts
    • 3,757 Thanks
    TBeckett100
    • 27th Aug 07, 3:13 PM
    • 27th Aug 07, 3:13 PM
    thanks for the fab ideas everyone!!!
    • alibongo42
    • By alibongo42 27th Aug 07, 3:15 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    alibongo42
    I can recommend a restaurant with a view - "The View" revolving restaurant in the Marriott Marquis hotel on Times Square.

It's on about the 47th floor and completes a 360 degree revolution in about an hour. You can also just have drinks if you don't want to go for a meal.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-information/restaurant/nycmq-new-york-marriott-marquis-times-square/
    • shudd1967
    • By shudd1967 27th Aug 07, 3:56 PM
    • 764 Posts
    • 5,671 Thanks
    shudd1967
    I agree with Central Park but I have to say go to the top of Bathsheba castle (spelt something like that) and the views are amazing across the park and it is very romantic.
    • TBeckett100
    • By TBeckett100 27th Aug 07, 7:23 PM
    • 4,460 Posts
    • 3,757 Thanks
    TBeckett100
    Thanks, I have looked at the options and will plump for the Theatre proposal, afterall who can beat the stage of broadway, secondly will have to be the boat ride topped off with dinner @ the lake.
  • sulliebear
    Not sure that the Theatres would allow this but good luck anyway.

What about on a horse and carriage ride around Central Park, it was good enough for Micheal Douglas when he proposed to Catherine Zeta Jones!
    If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' someone else's dog around!
    • blindman
    • By blindman 30th Aug 07, 1:11 PM
    • 4,783 Posts
    • 3,885 Thanks
    blindman
    The VU restaurant at the Hyatt Jersey City. for a grand view of Manhattan.

If you're a real MSE this is a favourite priceline win at about $75
    Last edited by blindman; 30-08-2007 at 1:20 PM.
    • supermezzo
    • By supermezzo 30th Aug 07, 3:14 PM
    • 971 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    supermezzo
    Horse and carriage around Central park in the snow was enough for me to say yes......
    It aint over til I've done singing....
  • claude76
    go for a meal at night on a boat around mahattan
    • JMU-95
    • By JMU-95 25th Nov 07, 10:25 AM
    • 175 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    JMU-95
    for your meal part of your proposal - try the acclaimed romantic restaurant in the village 'one if by land, two if by sea' . see website of same name. lovely, lovely restaurant with much nicer food than the 'View'.
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 15th Dec 07, 11:24 PM
    • 9,491 Posts
    • 6,909 Thanks
    Crabman
    For those who haven't seen the other thread and wanting to know how it went...

SHE SAID YES!

Many Congratulations Tom

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=636063
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• TBeckett100
    • By TBeckett100 16th Dec 07, 12:45 PM
    • 4,460 Posts
    • 3,757 Thanks
    TBeckett100
    Thanks Crabman, and thanks for all the ideas. it was bucketing with rain on the night so the warmth of the rockerfella tree seemed right with xmas music adorning the iceskaters!
  • princesslizzie
    This thread makes me go awwwww, congrats!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,154Posts Today

7,321Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @c_newbery: @MartinSLewis Can't bring myself to vote for option A because of lack of apostrophe - some things are too precious! #grammar?

• MSE weekly email: Soap&Glory, Urgent 2YR cheap energy, free Tesco pts, cheap Easyjet, free TSB £100, £52 Ray-Bans https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's twitter poll: Is it acceptable to use bad grammar in tweets in order to reduce character length?

• Follow Martin