Brussels-please help?

My daughter (age 20) and 2 friends have booked to go to the Brussels for the Christmas markets, going in 10 days.
They booked flights through Brussels Airways, and are staying at Novotel Grande Place for 2 nights-all booked independently.

Obviously I really don't want her to go, and they are actually frightened themselves.

They are 3 apprentices and although they haven't paid a lot, it is a lot to to them on their wages.

Is there any way of getting a refund, or partial refund or even at least getting the dates changed to the Spring?
Unfortunately they got the triple room at a good price-"pay now"-so it's already paid for.

Thank you in advance for any advice. :beer:
:j

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They will be restricted to the T&Cs of what they have purchased or are relying on goodwill
    Flights - need to check what type of ticket they have. Light&Relax fares can be changed for €45 plus any fare difference or charge €120 for a refund but Check&Go are restricted and don't appear to offer any change even for a fee. Alternatively they could look at getting a refund of the APD (£13)
    Hotel will also depend on type of rate booked. An advance saver rate is non-refundable and is cheaper than a Flexible rate which would be refundable.
    You don'e mention travel insurance however it is unlikely this would help with disinclination to travel as their is no FCO guidance to avoid travelling
    I suspect she is going to have to speak to the suppliers and see if they are prepared to offer anything other than the original T&Cs and then make a decision
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you for the speedy reply.
    Can I ask what the APD (£13) is?
    They have booked a basic" fair-and she has told me that the Brussels Airways site states no refunds for a "basic" fair.
    The hotel is Advance Saver.
    Yes they have insurance, but the government has not stated "don't travel"-only be vigilant-so I don;t think that would kick in.

So maybe the last resort is emailing and seeing if anything can be refunded under a goodwill gesture?

Thank you.
  • irishjohn
    irishjohn Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    APD is the tax element of the ticket. Airlines can have no refund fares but they cannot hold onto the tax if the ticket is cancelled. They can however make an administrative charge to refund the tax which may be prohibitive.

Do you not perhaps think that Brussels with all the additional security would be probably an OK place to visit? Seems a shame to lose all that money paid.
    John
  • toozie_2
    irishjohn wrote: »
    APD is the tax element of the ticket. Airlines can have no refund fares but they cannot hold onto the tax if the ticket is cancelled. They can however make an administrative charge to refund the tax which may be prohibitive.

Do you not perhaps think that Brussels with all the additional security would be probably an OK place to visit? Seems a shame to lose all that money paid.

Hi John
    Thank you.

Yes I do, but no I don't-if that makes sense!
    It seems that attractions are closed, transport may be reduced.
    She is still one of my "babies" and I am worried, and I think the girls have come to their own decion it's best not to go.

Toozie
  • Moto2
    Moto2 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    By the sound of things, it's probably best not to go as no one will enjoy it.
    There probably won't be any refunds though.

The thing is, it's 10 days away, Belgium is quite capable of keeping people safe, don't let terrorists terrorise you, stand up to them.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
  • toozie_2
    Moto2 wrote: »
    By the sound of things, it's probably best not to go as no one will enjoy it.
    There probably won't be any refunds though.

The thing is, it's 10 days away, Belgium is quite capable of keeping people safe, don't let terrorists terrorise you, stand up to them.

Oh yeh I am of that option too.
    But I think because it's my daughter, and she is questioning going herself, I'm looking at all options with her.
    Not sure of the total each they have paid-but it's not much really (less than £120 each)
    They would be forever looking over their shoulders, and I would be on pins until they get home, I'm probably worse because we don't live in a city ourselves!!
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As there seems to be no chance of any worthwhile refunds, and slim hope of any goodwill gesture by the airline, you can just leave the bookings in place and see how things go. The situation in Brussels may well have returned to normal in ten days, or not, but the decision whether to go can be made the day before. There's nothing to be gained by cancelling, so relax...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,106 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Are the Christmas Markets going ahead?

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/belgium

Public events are likely to be cancelled and tourist attractions closed. Contact event organisers for information on whether specific events are going ahead.
  • joerugby
    joerugby Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Here's a link to a local news article:

http://www.xpats.com/city-brussels-decide-fate-winter-wonders-event

......... and another to the official Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/plaisirsdhiver.winterpret.winterwonders/

Apparently an announcement on whether the Brussels markets will go ahead will be taken on Thursday
  • Tarry
    Tarry Posts: 11,195 Forumite
    Will it just be the Bruseels one cancelled than?
    I loved Bruges but before these "alerts" so can't comment now.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread
    -I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business