Scottish Power - Meaningless Online System

Options
backfoot
backfoot Posts: 2,700 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
For some unknown reason my online gas account with SP has gone haywire. Nearly all the history of bills has been corrupted and there are now random entries shown, many on the same date with the description 'bill pending'.

Both the CS Rep and the subsequent Complaint Handler could not provide any answer as to why this has happened to my account. The action point for them now is to prepare a manual written history of my bills and balances after submitted readings. I am told this may take over a week to prepare !

It can't be that only my record is affected by this glitch but can't find any other threads with the same problem. I had already switched to another supplier and was checking the account today as the switch was due to go through today.

At the moment, it is impossible to use the online system and the bills produced, to have any confidence that bills are correct. For example, my account showed an opening balance of 2,933 credit and charges of £2,857. The billing period for some reason goes back to 27/06/2013 ! Other than this there have been no problems with the account with regularly submitted meter readings.

Are any other customers affected by this?

Are the SP Reps aware of a system problem or changes which have caused this problem?

Comments

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 November 2015 at 6:16PM
    Options
    They had my first name down as my surname when I log in.
    I asked them to correct this, and the surname now appears, but with the last two characters in the wrong order, e.g. Smiht.

Throughout all this the bills have the correct name all along.

In fact, I have moved across multiple tariffs, almost on a monthly basis lately. All good. The computer keeps trying to use an old account for DD, so I have to keep typing in the Santander account, on which I get cashback. Most recently, it was frozen, so I could not change it manually. Had to call them up to use the Santander A/C. Bizarrely, the call centre person says it shows up the Santander sort code/AC No. by default.

Otherwise, the bills are all correct.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Yes my Scottish power on-line account is a complete disaster.

They have listed 3 accounts all with the same number(I only have one) for some reason they also re-jigged all the bill history and recalculated both gas and electricity back for about a year, thus making it impossible to check if it is correct.

My DD has been going up and down like a yo-yo and then they took nothing for two months without explaining why. After a phone call they have set it far too low so it will shoot up soon.

My last was bill was actually on 6 Nov 2015 but the home page states 'last bill xMarch 2015' and next bill due 'xJune 2015'

It also states 'Congratulations you are on our cheapest tariff' and I ain't! - their Nov 2016 tariff is quite a bit cheaper.
  • backfoot
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. Cardew describes exactly the same problems that I am experiencing, so it looks like a system problem affecting certain customers.

The deletion of the previous billing records must be a SP prompted change, possibly some sort of IT change process, which has gone horribly wrong.

I have no faith that the Complaint Handler will get back to the source of the problem but simply do a long winded work around to reproduce my bills. If it is going to take a week to produce then SP will be quickly swamped with similar complaints.

It would be helpful if SP and their Company Rep here investigate the problem and issue a statement clarifying exactly why the problem has occurred, which customers are affected and how it is going to be fixed and within what timescale.

At the moment, the online system is completely useless and is all we have to try to monitor our bills and Direct Debits.
  • Casey_Ryback
    Options
    I have left them for several reasons one of it was the unreliable billing!
    Left them in august 2014 they kept sending bills up to January 2015 and now they want the money for that period :D
    Absolute idiots!
    Ohh when you decide to leave them they will delay it as long as they can!!
    SOBs...
  • backfoot
    Options
    I have emailed the Scottish Power Rep yesterday with details of this thread and details of my account. They have not replied to either.

Something to hide?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    backfoot wrote: »

Something to hide?

Yes! A computer system that is clearly not 'fit for purpose'.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The account for here messed itself up a few hours after I booked the last tariff change a couple of weeks ago - when I logged in again in the morning to do meter readings in daylight it showed a credit balance of about £2200 and all the bills had vanished.

I phoned up, and someone did something which was supposed to restore them. A few hours later there were 6 or 8 bills and about 9 x 0 credits on that day, bills in sizes from minus 7 to plus 1200, and looking at a couple of them they are even more complicated, as some do those credit back recalculations of previous bills, so one period of a few months probably appears on about 4 bills.

However the balance sounds about right, and if it's within £5 or £10 it may well be perfectly correct, albeit very difficult to comprehend.

I asked for this to be fixed within a few days, but nothing happened yet. There were some paper bills here for the start of this, but they stopped posting them about 18 months ago.
  • backfoot
    Options
    Thanks redux,

I also changed tariff around a month ago and your description matches the problem I have.

The CS rep and complaint handler didn't know how it had occurred and had no knowledge other than to suggest lack of submitted meter readings. When I pointed out the records show regular monthly readings this scuppered the fob off.

These sort of issues are not specific to a single account or customer. The system was working until recently so SP have done something themselves and they should explain what it is and when it will be corrected.

Still no sign of a response sadly.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Had this issue 14 months ago when I changed from 1 SP tariff to another. After a few weeks of formal complaints and getting stupid responses from the complaints team, I moved away from SP.

Getting the correct final bills was a long drawn out issue too due to their records not being correct.

Thankfully I keep full records on readings given, bills and DD's so I was able to point out their errors in billing. Even then it took an email to their CEO to get it done.
  • george1939
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Yes! A computer system that is clearly not 'fit for purpose'.

Just seen this post Just been into my Scottish power account 14:15
    Brought up all my recent readings for 4th October 17th October and 3rd November all balances are there and all view bills I can view the full accounts all three so I cannot understand what could be happening to any other accounts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure