Old style paper driving licence

Options
I still have my old pink/green licence which was issued when I passed my test in 1980.

I last sent it off to the DVLA in 1997 to have points added, and have never even thought about changing it to the photo one, because I thought that only needed to be done when there was a reason (such as having points added or a change of address) to do so.

Someone said to me that they thought it was no longer valid, and that I effectively now have no insurance, because i don't hold a valid licence.

Is this correct :eek:

Comments

• Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No - it's absolute rubbish.

Your licence is valid up to the expiry date on it.

You'll likely get raised eyebrows showing it abroad to police who were probably unborn when you obtained it.

Isn't it a bit tatty now?
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Just to back up what Iceweasel stated:
    https://www.gov.uk/exchange-paper-driving-licence
    You must get a new licence if:
    you change your address
    your licence has been defaced
    you change your name (you must apply by post using paper form D1 or D2)
    ##you’re getting a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) driver qualification card (DQC)

If none of these apply and your paper licence is still valid, you don’t need to exchange it for a photocard version.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I still have my paper one and had no issues with hiring a van with it recently.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I have paper as well, x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • HurdyGurdy
    Options
    Phew. Thank you all.

Iceweasel - yes, it is rather tatty. But still legible. Where would we be without sellotape :D
  • Nessun_Dorma
    Nessun_Dorma Posts: 6,436 Forumite
    Options
    HurdyGurdy wrote: »
    Phew. Thank you all.

Iceweasel - yes, it is rather tatty. But still legible. Where would we be without sellotape :D

If a licence is in such poor condition and you needed to submit it to DVLA, they may insist that you apply for a photo-licence.
  • BigBopper
    BigBopper Posts: 271 Forumite
    Options
    If a licence is in such poor condition and you needed to submit it to DVLA, they may insist that you apply for a photo-licence.

For what reason would they now need to submit it to the DVLA?
    Other than to get a new licence.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi

You can view your entitlements here...
    https://www.viewdrivingrecord.service.gov.uk/driving-record/licence-number

You need to change your licence if a Police officer (or similar) finds it illegible, or get them new glasses, but actually they can view it online.

What may have have changed is the classes or categories, like having a moped licence granted automatically in the old days, that may have been revoked. Originally I had A,E - now as below.
    Description

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) carrying no more than 8 passengers and driver with trailer up to 750kg; trailer over 750kg if combined vehicle and trailer weight isn’t more than 3,500kg MAM; Vehicles between 3,500kg and 7,500kg carrying no more than 8 passengers and a driver with trailer up to 750kg; Vehicles between 3,500kg and 7,500kg carrying no more than 8 passengers and a driver with trailer over 750kg if combined vehicle and trailer weight isn’t more than 8,250; Vehicles with up to 16 passenger seats and a driver with trailer up to 750kg;

Automatic versions of the vehicles quoted above;

You can also drive vehicles in groups C, E, F, K, L and N below:

Any motor trike less than 410kg (500kg laden); Moped up to 50cc (max speed 50km/h); Agricultural tractor; Mowing machine or pedestrian-controlled vehicle; Electrically-propelled vehicle; Vehicles (exempt from duty) under section 7 (1) of the vehicle (excise) Act 1971
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    I applied for a photocard licence a couple of years ago (thinking like the OP that it was becoming a requirement), having "lost" my paper licence. Fortunately the photocard version had all the correct entitlements on it ... if it hadn't I would have "found" my paper version as proof of entitlement ;)

(There was talk back then of people getting photocard licences and returning their paper licences [so the photocard was free/cheap] but losing entitlements like motorcycle ... unless they had proof of entitlement [such as their pass certificate] then they lost the entitlement altogether. Whether this was real or an urban myth I'm not sure, but I took the least-risk approach) :)
  • dannyrst
    dannyrst Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Always handy to use as ID.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts