Reclaim without knowing if I have PPI or not?

Options
Im with Natwest (Advantage Gold Account) have a nat west credit card (Master card) Also had a Natwest mortgage
Can I claim anything from them? I have no paperwork!
If you feel/think I can how do I do it and get the ball rolling.
I do not want to miss the dead line!! :(

Thanks for your help

I feel stupid/intimidated by this issue and feel that I should know this!
:beer:

Treat me kindly I`m just Confused :confused::D

Comments

• tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    On what grounds would you be reclaiming, what is your reason for complaint?
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tomtontom wrote: »
    On what grounds would you be reclaiming, what is your reason for complaint?

They'd like some money?
  • sun73
    sun73 Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nearlyold wrote: »
    They'd like some money?

So did the lenders when they started selling PPI. Consumers are only claiming their own money back.
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sun73 wrote: »
    So did the lenders when they started selling PPI. Consumers are only claiming their own money back.

Yes you're right about the banks, I'm just being a little light heartedly cynical, probably comes from having worked in a complaints department where some weeks about 80% of PPI complaints came from customers who had never had a PPI policy though admittedly the majority of these came via CMCs
  • buzbyxman
    buzbyxman Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    As I said I don’t know if I have any PPI so therefor is it worth asking. Asking what grounds I would be claiming is like how long is a rope when you can only see one end.
    And as Nearlyold said "They'd like some money" as I don’t want to lose out if I am eligible.
    I just want what could be mine and not to feel guilty about asking.

Thanks

• Insider101
    Insider101 Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    Options
    buzbyxman wrote: »
    Im with Natwest (Advantage Gold Account) have a nat west credit card (Master card) Also had a Natwest mortgage
    Can I claim anything from them? I have no paperwork!
    If you feel/think I can how do I do it and get the ball rolling.
    I do not want to miss the dead line!! :(

Thanks for your help

I feel stupid/intimidated by this issue and feel that I should know this!
    :beer:

What do you think has been done wrong, when and by who?

The term "reclaiming" is a misnomer invented by CMCs who don't want to tell customers that what they are doing is putting a complaint in on their behalf (it immediately provokes a negative connotation, whilst there are a small minority who take pride in being serial complainers, the majority of the general public do not like to think of themselves as the complaining type, especially where they are not strongly convinced that some kind of wrong had been done to them).

What they call a "claim/reclaim/insert other stupid term" is actually a complaint alleging that you were misinformed, misadvised or misled into taking a product which you would not have taken had you been correctly informed. So, only you can really tell us whether you consider yourself to have grounds for complaint and what the reasons would be.

At the risk of sounding facetious, as Nearlyold stated "I'd like some money" as a complaint reason is not likely to get very far.
  • Insider101
    Options
    sun73 wrote: »

Not to put too fine a point on it, but this is wholly inacccurate. In a market economy, once you agree to pay money in exchange for a product or service, the money that was once yours becomes that of the seller. There is not something inherently wrong with having PPI, in the right circumstances and for the right policyholders it can be a very useful product. If someone has genuine grounds for complaint then it is fair enough, however, it is not "their" money just because they decide they would like some money and ask for it. If the OP takes that approach then he is unlikely to be taken seriously.
  • buzbyxman
    Options
    I took out a loan some time ago, now paid up. I was told at the time I had to have the advantafe gold account which incures a fee (monthly) is this a good enough complaint reason? (I still have this account)

Thanks for your swift responce

• Insider101
    edited 7 October 2015 at 5:28PM
    Options
    buzbyxman wrote: »
    I took out a loan some time ago, now paid up. I was told at the time I had to have the advantafe gold account which incures a fee (monthly) is this a good enough complaint reason? (I still have this account)

Thanks for your swift responce

It is a good enough reason to make a complaint. They have the right to offer loans on condition you have a bank account with them, however, it is likely to be considered unfair to make you take out a fee paying one if free accounts are available. However, do be aware that this is likely to be an unprovable allegation and you will have to sound very credible if the complaint is to be upheld on this basis. To be clear, the subject of the complaint for this matter is missale of the packaged account, not the loan, PPI or any other random issue.

Edit: Their records will probably show the date you took out the account and the loan. If they are on or around the same date then the complaint will look pretty credible. If they are months apart then it will look less so.

Edit again: You also need to be clear specifically what was said to you at the time. If there was an insistence that you take out the packaged account to obtain the loan, this is likely to be considered unfair. However, are you should they didn't just offer you a better interest rate on the loan if you took out their packaged account? This is simply cross-selling and would probably be considered fair enough by the FOS.
  • buzbyxman
    Options
    I had a free bank account with Natwest and was told that I needed the new account to get loan. These were, as far as I am aware, taken out at the same time.
    "are you should they didn't just offer you a better interest rate on the loan if you took out their packaged account?" I think so as I was happy with my free bank account and would not have changed for the sake of it. At the time I was a bit desperate and was just happy getting the loan.
    :o

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family