PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow cooker favourites

Options
Tink_04
Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
edited 13 January 2017 at 12:09PM in Old style MoneySaving
MoneySavingExpert Insert:

Check out our Supermarket Shopping Tips too and cut the cost of your ingredients.

Back to Tink_04's original post...

---

I'm trying to use my sc twice a week and have some recipes I use regularly but I'm finding it harder to find something different to do that will be a good family addition.

I make

beef chilli
Beef curry
Jacket potatoes
Whole chicken
Chicken casserole
Sausage casserole
Pulled pork

These are family-friendly and great to make but see other posts and everyone seems to do much more so I'd love a hand!

I try to avoidd mince in mine and soups as I prefer them made in the pan but.that's just us.

Id love to have another simple chuck everything in type meal I can make that's a bit different and would freeze well as there is always extra.

Thanks xx
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply! [purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Living the simple life

Comments

• notjustlaura
    Options
    I use my SC all the time and have found it's easy to adapt regular recipes for it. Add a bit less water, brown the meat first if you want, chuck the ingredients in and walk away. Simples :)
    Household: Laura + William-cat
    Not Buying It in 2015
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks - think I'm maybe stuck in a rut with what I make - its great for when we are at work and for cooking meat but think I'm a bit envious of all the great meals others seem to produce out of it lol
    Living the simple life
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You could do a chicken curry - I see you do chicken and you do beef curry - well a chicken curry's different, but the same :)
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a slow cooker in adli last week and was disappointed to find only two recipes included in the instructions. So will be following this thread with interest!
    I love to make casseroles and stews in the winter - but understand you can do much more than these? so how DO you roast a chicken in SC? can you use it to keep meals hot even if they weren't made in it? how do you get the best use out of it?
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I still love gammon in cola in the slow cooker. My butcher does these lovely lean and not salty joints - don't even need soaking, and they are fab done overnight in a bath of cola with some peppercorns. The meat just falls apart - slicing not possible;)
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • ilovemygarden
    ilovemygarden Posts: 110 Forumite
    edited 20 September 2015 at 9:33AM
    Options
    Tink, have a look here at the Complete Slow Cooker Recipe Index

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=1332010#post1332010

There are lots of recipes that MSE'ers have provided over the years - and recommendations and tips too.
  • whiteguineapig
    Options
    i like corn beef hash as well
  • sillyvixen
    Options
    if anyone has some tried and tested slow cooker recipes i would be interested. we had a small slow cooker as a wedding pressie. I am a veggie, but hubby is not and very fussy about veg. i would love to be able to chuck a few bits in the slow cooker and make a decent meat based meal with the minimum of fuss (and freeze the leftovers).
    I have not experimented yet - as i cant taste the results.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am a fan of the Schwartz slow cooker sachets, on special offer in tracks ATM.
    I think I like them as if ever I cook a dish that has to be served with it juice such as stew or chilli, I just cannot get the liquid amounts right.
    I think they are really good for briskets, pulled pork, gammon in coke and pork shoulder in cider.
    I have also used mine to make mushy peas and rice pudding.
  • nonnatus
    nonnatus Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    Options
    I use my slow cooker on a regular basis but I see the OP listed JACKET POTATOES as a recipe!!!!

How on earth is that possible? Do you leave the lid on? Surely that creates soggy spuds? How do you get crunchy, yummy skins if you cook them in a soggy S/C??

Bonkers ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport