Duty Free

Options
I am flying Manchester to Inverness does anybody know if I can buy Duty Free ?

Comments

• terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    No.................
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Possibly/ sort of

You are flying within the EU and therefore cannot technically get duty free but many products (other than tobacco) are sold at duty free prices irrespective of where you are travelling to, the retailer just takes the hit to their margins for those travelling within the EU.

I dont know Manchester Airport so cannot say if they have a special section for UK & Ireland flights like they used to with BA in Heathrow where there were no duty free shops or if you are mixed in with international travellers and thus have access to the shops.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can buy most items from Biza http://www.shopbiza.com/ but after the recent furore over VAT they might be a bit more careful re boarding cards than previously. You should get most items at their normal (i.e 'tax free') price in that they'll pay the VAT element having inflated their price but you won't have access to 'duty free' items i.e. 1l bottles of liquor and tobacco
  • AlexMac
    AlexMac Posts: 2,990 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wait til Scotland withdraws unilaterally from both the UK and EU?
    When Whiskey will cost twa bawbees a bottle
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    many products (other than tobacco) are sold at duty free prices irrespective of where you are travelling to, the retailer just takes the hit to their margins for those travelling within the EU.

I guess they still make a decent profit, as they seem to encourage people to buy at DF prices, even at airports where most flights are to EU destinations. At many airports you can buy and collect on your return, so you're not even restricted by how much you can carry on the plane.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Flybe operates out of Terminal 3 at Manchester so you will have access to so called duty free perfumes and large Toblerone. If you thought you might buy a few ciggies or bottles of booze, you will be sorely disappointed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure