PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Unexpected lunch guest

Options
Toonie
Toonie Posts: 1,147 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
edited 24 August 2015 at 4:34PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hello,

I have a friend coming for lunch tomorrow. It's very last minute and I have no spare money. In the fridge I have new potatoes, carrots, lettuce, cherry tomatoes and bacon. I've also got couscous, peas, red lentils, tinned tomatoes, plain flour, butter; and sausages in the freezer.

Any suggestions, oh marvellous folk of MSE?
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Grocery budget in 2023 £2279.18/£2700

Grocery budget in 2022 £2304.76/£2400
Grocery budget in 2021 £2107.86/£2200
Grocery budget in 2020 £2193.02/£2160

Saving for Christmas 2023 #15 £ 90/ £365

Comments

• bsms1147
    bsms1147 Posts: 2,261 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Toonie wrote: »
    Any suggestions, oh marvellous folk of MSE?
    Take the plain flour and tinned tomatoes out of the freezer.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you want just a light lunch, I'd go salad with shredded carrot, cherry tomatoes, maybe some crunchy bacon pieces and new potatoes or couscous.

Any rice? My nan and I really love this recipe, in lieu of bread I've served it with pitta before, which was lovely (drizzled in olive oil and a bit of salt, and baked in the oven for a few mins until slightly crunchy). Or just serve it more on the thinner 'soup'y style and not worry about bread for a lunch portion.
    You could possibly swap out rice for couscous if you don't have the former.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9527/fragrant-pork-and-rice-onepot?utm_expid=13353178-7

Otherwise, I'd go for something stew-y with the tomatoes, lentils etc. maybe. What do you have in the way of herbs and spices?
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This could have some potential, if you had the extra few ingredients
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1708/lincolnshire-sausage-and-lentil-simmer
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    cous-cous with tomatoes in (or serve them on the side with the lettuce, leaving the cous-cous plain)
    A lentil casserole with carrots & bacon pieces fried together as a base, then add the lentils & tinned tomatoes, bubble up & serve over the cous-cous
    Herbs & spices as you like, especially if you have any fresh herbs, chop & scatter over.
    Sounds like the kind of lunch I actually plan!
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Similar to the one posted above, here is another sausage and lentil one pot--use your red lentils. I wouldn't make this if you don't have the onion and garlic (granules would be fine)

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/one-pot-meals/sausages-with-puy-lentils.html

If you don't have onion then I'd go for simple pan fried sausages, boiled new potatoes with butter (parsley if you've got it) and a salad of shredded carrot, tomatoes on a bed of lettuce.

For pudding, try this recipe for a very simple shortbread--you could use normal sugar if you don't have castor.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/4558/all-butter-scottish-shortbread.aspx
  • Toonie
    Toonie Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 18 August 2015 at 9:43AM
    Options
    No onion or garlic as I'm allergic, so I think I'll keep it simple with boiled potatoes and sausages. I found a tin of pears so I'll chuck together a crumble as well.

Herb wise I've a lovely rosemary bush in my garden, fresh basil, and then dried oregano and thyme. I've got allspice, cloves, ginger and cinnamon.
    Grocery budget in 2023 £2279.18/£2700

Grocery budget in 2022 £2304.76/£2400
    Grocery budget in 2021 £2107.86/£2200
    Grocery budget in 2020 £2193.02/£2160

Saving for Christmas 2023 #15 £ 90/ £365
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Oh, some rosemary on the potatoes would be nice!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I'd do a one-pot meal with the new potatoes, sausages, tinned tomatoes, peas and lentils (maybe carrots but I don't like carrots & tomatoes together) - with herbs.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    No onion or garlic as I'm allergic, so I think I'll keep it simple with boiled potatoes and sausages. I found a tin of pears so I'll chuck together a crumble as well.

Herb wise I've a lovely rosemary bush in my garden, fresh basil, and then dried oregano and thyme. I've got allspice, cloves, ginger and cinnamon.

Oh that sounds lovely! Basil with the tomatoes, and some of the spices in the crumble sounds like a feast!
  • Fluff15
    Fluff15 Posts: 1,440 Forumite
    Options

I'd part boil the potatoes, then put the potatoes and rosemary in the oven to crisp up (maybe with the bacon sauteed too), with the sausages. Yum :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure