Animal Friends Renewal Shocker

Options
Hi

I'm currently with Animal Friends and have previously had no problems with them. I have a 10yo Cav with cancer and heart failure. Policy limit is £2k per condition per year (seemed good back in the day, I know very different now!!) and have been paying £84 per month over last year... Even with excess and 35% co-payment this still worked out ok due to his conditions.

I've now had renewal figure for next year.... £320 per month!!! :eek:

I've appealed this with them and they won't budge, but from a completely logical persoective, how on earth do they expect that to work, even with his existing conditions at full payment I would be losing...can they do this?! To me, it's proactive discrimination and the fact they keeo saying I can cancel makes me feel they just don't want my business - any advice please?!

thanks

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Even with excess and 35% co-payment this still worked out ok due to his conditions.

That is the relvant bit. Unfortunately, insurance companies are not an NHS for anilmals but a profit making business. Unless they take in more money than they pay out they do not make a profit.

When we need them most is when they let us down.

Old age usually leads to an increase in premium and ongoing conditions which could result in large claims will also casue an incresae in premiums.

You can try complaining to the ombudsman but ,he considers the amount of premiums to be business decision and if the insurance can show that you have been charged the same as others in your circumstances then he will not pursue the complaint.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    and the fact they keeo saying I can cancel makes me feel they just don't want my business - any advice please?!
    Maybe they don't want your business? As sheramber says, they have to make a profit. They can't see a way of making a profit from you unless they charge that much, the alternative of not having your business isn't unattractive.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • fierystormcloud
    Options
    Sounds to me like they don't want your business too, so they are making the premiums so high that you will quit.

That IS an extortionate amount.
    cooeeeeeeeee :j :wave:
  • Fred.Hedgehog
    Options
    Thanks all.... guess it is time for me to part company with them... Think I'll cancel my other dog though as can't help but feel (maybe naively) disappointed in them.
    Weirdly, they would knock it down £60ish per month if I upped the excess by £30 per condition so I can't understand their logic given we know it's the 2 conditions he's only ever really had, so the maths are all over the show! Even then, it's not a feasible option... Just feels a shame after using them for so many years.
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's disgraceful. A warning for others to avoid Animal Friends like the plague.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 August 2015 at 4:11PM
    Options
    Thanks all.... guess it is time for me to part company with them... Think I'll cancel my other dog though as can't help but feel (maybe naively) disappointed in them.

While I can completely understand your feeling, cancelling for your other doggy may be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Before you do, just be aware that no other insurer will cover any conditions/injuries your dog has ever seen a vet about (whether you claimed on insurance for them or not). Pet Plan go so far as to exclude any symptom your pet has ever had before. Our cat had stomach issues and went to the vet with diarrhoea and a mild fever. No specific (named) illness was found. If we were to switch to Pet Plan, we wouldn't be covered for these which rules out most basic illnesses!

I fear I'll be posting something similar to your OP in a few months. Our cat is only three years old and we got him last October. In his first year with us he's had £600 of insurance claims! :eek: The policy only cost us £11/month (£132 for the year) so our insurer - More Than - are well out of pocket. We're dreading their renewal quote. He doesn't have any ongoing conditions - it's all been one-off illness/injury, but still.
  • Fred.Hedgehog
    Options
    pinkteapot wrote: »
    While I can completely understand your feeling, cancelling for your other doggy may be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Before you do, just be aware that no other insurer will cover any conditions/injuries your dog has ever seen a vet about (whether you claimed on insurance for them or not). Pet Plan go so far as to exclude any symptom your pet has ever had before. Our cat had stomach issues and went to the vet with diarrhoea and a mild fever. No specific (named) illness was found. If we were to switch to Pet Plan, we wouldn't be covered for these which rules out most basic illnesses!

I fear I'll be posting something similar to your OP in a few months. Our cat is only three years old and we got him last October. In his first year with us he's had £600 of insurance claims! :eek: The policy only cost us £11/month (£132 for the year) so our insurer - More Than - are well out of pocket. We're dreading their renewal quote. He doesn't have any ongoing conditions - it's all been one-off illness/injury, but still.

Thanks for this... Might have to stick with them for pup then.... He's not had any claims yet, but we did discuss a concern with vet which will be on record now ... Hmmmm how frustrating!

Hope your renewal is kind!
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    That's a disgraceful increase

I echo what the others have said - but would also urge you to still raise a complaint with the Ombudsman

The more people that do this, then surely they must take notice at some point

What is the point of having lifetime policies (and let's be honest - we pay a premium for these!) if the companies are going to shove the prices up so much people can't afford them - then really what's the point in having it at all!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Since NCI renewals now seem to be more reasonable I wonder if the complaints to the ombudsman had some effect , although the ombudsman cannot tell them what to charge.
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Since NCI renewals now seem to be more reasonable I wonder if the complaints to the ombudsman had some effect , although the ombudsman cannot tell them what to charge.

the cynic in me wonders if it's because so many of the early to transfer Axa customers didn't take up the NCI policy as it was too expensive that's made them look at this again!
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure